Old School Gamer Style Case Recommendations

Spec_tech

How's it going everybody. So, i'm old. The cases I like are more from late 2000's to 2015 (i think) era. I currently have an Antec 900 which I have a special bond with, but it has some issues that i need to figure out if it's worth fixing.

So, to start, the Big Boy 200mm fan on it started making a noise that was annoying the hell out of me and I unplugged it from the mobo. There were at least used and spare ones being sold online 3,4,5 years ago, but not anymore I found.

The two front 120mm (I think) fans are moving very slowly i noticed over time, so those need to be replaced. And i'm not sure how easy it will be to get very similar replacements with the same lighting and everything.

I've also had to tear out the front I/O panel due to either spilling liquid on it and having to clean it up or some loose button or component. I can't remember which. And it works fine for now, but i know it can't take much more messing with that panel if something happens to it again.

Last thing is that i'm concerned about the USB 3.0 ports on it, front and back. Because i'm seeing all the new style cases all use basically 3.2, and some do it via USB C which I don't use regularly.

For the decision of purchasing a similar case of the same style (thinking CM Storm Enforcer, CM MasterCase Pro 5, Thermaltake Element S, CM HAF's, Antec 1100, etc), none of them look like they're available for a decent price, if at all. I absolutely hate the new minimalist designs like the Fractal's and the pretty much all glass-paneled cases.

So ultimately, i'm torn between the decision of getting a different one in a hopefully better condition of a similar style or fix up my current one. What's everyone's opinion on this?

Spare parts for Cases – AntecPlay

This is the official Antec website where you can find various spare parts for Antec PC cases. You can browse the collection and see if they have the parts you are looking for such as the fans, or the I/O panel. They also have an email address where you can contact them if you cannot find the part you need on the site.

ALCATRAZ |   CPU: i9 9900k @ 5GHz, Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A, RAM: Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB, GPU: Gigabyte 1070Ti Case: Zalman MS800 Plus, Storage: Corsair 2TB NVME | Crucial M550 128GB SSD  |  WD 640GB HDD, PSU: XFX Pro Series 1050w, Display: ASUS MG279Q, Cooling: Noctua NH-D15

11 minutes ago, Spec_tech said:

USB 3.0 ports on it, front and back. Because i'm seeing all the new style cases all use basically 3.2, and some do it via USB C which I don't use regularly.

Why the worry? Or need to replace the case at all?

Usb 3.2 gen 2x1 is just a 3.0 port but at 10gb/s speeds instead of 5gb/s speeds. A ton of cases to this day just ship with usb 3.0 aka 3.1 gen 1 aka 3.2 gen 1 aka usb 3.2 5gb/s. Yes they renamed usb 3.0 3 times and changed NOTHING. Also those usb c board headers. You can just buy a cheap simplr adapter and convert it back to a usb 3.0 header (or whatever they wanna call it now)

As for usb c. Well you have a ninehundred it could not be EASIER to add usb c, more/new front io,... because you have 5.25 inch bays. It is AWESOME to have an you can have ANY front panel you want. Its why I love mine!

As for the fan(s). Just replace em. They are quite normal 200mm and 120mm fans. Plenty super easy to change. Had to do it to my nine hundred when I snapped a blade of the top one I got a 200mm cooler master and just trimmed the plastic a bit to make it fit. Been working fine for 5 years now. Even drilled some holes to add back the cool led effect 😛. Some aerocools even just fit. Just be ready to at worst snip some plastic. They mount fine otherwise fyi. If you dont wanna do that just get a 140mm fan or 180mm fan and they can mount in fine too. You might need a small plastic washer depending on the size of the holes in the mesh you are using but well thats a $ for a small baggy.

So literally no reason to replace just needs like 30-50$ depending on what you decide to get and some tlc

The Fractal Design Focus G is a pretty similar looking case to the Antec 900. Trying to find an older case in decent condition that isn't manufactured anymore or even trying to find direct oem replacement parts is going to be hard and most likely pretty pricey.

If you really want to fix or "upgrade" your 900 I'd recommend getting a standard 200mm fan replacement. I don't think you'll be able to find an exact match for the old fan but plenty of companies make 200mm fans, Noctua, Thermaltake, all sorts of aftermarket overseas brands with different lighting styles too. If you need more USB ports, expansion cards are also an option whether it's PCIE or Front Panel add in cards.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

@Subduck Interesting. Didn't know Antec offered that. I doubt that they have spare parts for a 17 year old case, but it's worth contacting them at least. Thank you.

@jaslion For the USB, i just hadn't looked up the differences among the USB 3 variants. I was thinking there was a bigger difference than what you mentioned.

For USB C, i'd probably just get a converter or adapter then to make it easier.
I kind of had the idea to replace the 200mm fan with a different one, but the shape freaked me out thinking absolutely nothing else would work. Shaving off the plastic i could give a shot
I'd just have to narrow down the replacements to get

I was thinking the older style cases would be more readily and cheaply available than they are and that it'd be easier to just get a new one versus making newer fans work in this one. Plus the idea of just getting something different after having it for a decade excited me I guess.

@SpookyCitrus The Focus G actually doesn't look half bad. The only thing i'd be nitpicky about is there only being 1 USB 3.0 port on the front panel and that there's only room for 1 HDD and 1 SSD. I've got two HDDs in my current rig.

Alright. Didn't think trying to fit a different 200mm fan in there would be as easy as it sounds. Going to have to look into the brands and options.

19 minutes ago, Spec_tech said:

@Subduck Interesting. Didn't know Antec offered that. I doubt that they have spare parts for a 17 year old case, but it's worth contacting them at least. Thank you.

@jaslion For the USB, i just hadn't looked up the differences among the USB 3 variants. I was thinking there was a bigger difference than what you mentioned.

For USB C, i'd probably just get a converter or adapter then to make it easier.
I kind of had the idea to replace the 200mm fan with a different one, but the shape freaked me out thinking absolutely nothing else would work. Shaving off the plastic i could give a shot
I'd just have to narrow down the replacements to get

I was thinking the older style cases would be more readily and cheaply available than they are and that it'd be easier to just get a new one versus making newer fans work in this one. Plus the idea of just getting something different after having it for a decade excited me I guess.

@SpookyCitrus The Focus G actually doesn't look half bad. The only thing i'd be nitpicky about is there only being 1 USB 3.0 port on the front panel and that there's only room for 1 HDD and 1 SSD. I've got two HDDs in my current rig.

Alright. Didn't think trying to fit a different 200mm fan in there would be as easy as it sounds. Going to have to look into the brands and options.

Also just checking around I'm seeing Antec 900s in fairly good shape up on ebay for like $175. There are plenty that are wayyy more than that but there were a couple in that range. Computer cases especially those older ones are just pretty hard to come by, most of the time they get put in the scrap heap. 

Also the focus G has two 3.5" HDD bays and one 2.5" mount on the back side of the motherboard tray, plus with room else where for more 2.5" SSDs as the good thing about sata SSDs is they don't necessarily need to be mounted anywhere. Also it has two 5.25" drive bays so you can add either a 5.25" mounted USB 3.0 Hub or throw in a PCIE USB 3.0 to USB-C card. There are options.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

46 minutes ago, Spec_tech said:

was thinking the older style cases would be more readily and cheaply available than they are and that it'd be easier to just get a new one versus making newer fans work in this one. Plus the idea of just getting something different after having it for a decade excited me I guess.

People dont tend to resell cases its quite rare to resell it as oftennparts are missing so they are disposed off

As for fans basically any 200 works just needs modification. Smaller fans work well too just needs a easher between the screw and case to stay

3 hours ago, SpookyCitrus said:

don't think you'll be able to find an exact match for the old fan but plenty of companies make 200mm fans, Noctua, Thermaltake, all sorts of aftermarket overseas brands with different lighting styles too. If you need more USB ports, expansion cards are also an option whether it's PCIE or Front Panel add in cards.

The antec uses a bit of a odd 200mm fan. Same mounting and all just has shaved down corners whoch can cause some compatibility issues with some fans