PC doesn't allow other remote pcs to locate the server drive

Go to solution Solved by LIGISTX,
8 hours ago, Hajoj159 said:

I don’t think I need wireguard or other app, cause when I try to do it reversely everything works fine; sharing a file from client pc that having issues to the server pc, the server pc connects perfect with no issues

Tailscale is built on WireGuard, I’m simply saying I’m not personally sure how to configure tailscale to understand subnets. In WireGuard you have to add the subnets to the config, so I assume tailscale would be similar since it’s built on top of WireGuard. 

What do you mean sharing from server PC to client PC? VPN’s should only work 1 direction… nothing on the LAN side should be able to talk to anything on the remote side, connections have to be initiated on the remote side, not the other way around. 

I would suggest watching some YouTube videos on how to set this up. Something is clearly not quite right, and I’m not sure I am going to be able to solve it, especially since I have no actually used tailscale. 

I am sharing a drive with 5 pcs in my office and everything is going well. (today I mapped the drive with my new pc (in the same location) and it connected successfully (so the password I know is working)) - I used this location to map it \\server\sys. 

I wanted to map the drive using a remote pc by tailscale software, I downloaded it on both main pc and client pc (the remote one) but it didn't find it, (photo showing the error)  

*I tried using it reversely; making the main pc map a drive in the client pc and it mapped the drive successfully. 

So why the client pc cannot map the drive in the main pc?

* I tried using the IP that is provided by tailscale but this didn't solve my issue.

checked everything, pc name, network connection. 

* I don't have a static IP in my main office. 

image.png

image.png

Make sure the network is marked private and that discovery and file sharing is enabled in the advanced options. Outside of that, windows filesharing is annoyingly picky and fickle. You could try resetting the password, restarting the computers, or even unshare and reshare the folder.

56 minutes ago, Hajoj159 said:

I am sharing a drive with 5 pcs in my office and everything is going well. (today I mapped the drive with my new pc (in the same location) and it connected successfully (so the password I know is working)) - I used this location to map it \\server\sys. 

I wanted to map the drive using a remote pc by tailscale software, I downloaded it on both main pc and client pc (the remote one) but it didn't find it, (photo showing the error)  

*I tried using it reversely; making the main pc map a drive in the client pc and it mapped the drive successfully. 

So why the client pc cannot map the drive in the main pc?

* I tried using the IP that is provided by tailscale but this didn't solve my issue.

checked everything, pc name, network connection. 

* I don't have a static IP in my main office. 

image.png

image.png

Is the remote PC actually remote, or is it currently on the same LAN? I ask because we need to know if tailscale is actually working…

In the last picture it looks like you used the public IP of your office…. That isn’t how this works. You need to VPN in via tailscale, and then use the IP (or host name) of the machine sharing the data. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

27 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

Is the remote PC actually remote, or is it currently on the same LAN? I ask because we need to know if tailscale is actually working…

In the last picture it looks like you used the public IP of your office…. That isn’t how this works. You need to VPN in via tailscale, and then use the IP (or host name) of the machine sharing the data. 

Yes the pc is actually remote, I used the ip that tailscale provided for the office pc (the pc with the drive) (photo), 

Before I tried using the IP from tailscale and the host name (none of them worked) I tried while tailscale was opened in background and it showed that I am connected

What do you mean by vpn with tailscale? Not how I do it?

image.png

image.png

1 hour ago, Hajoj159 said:

Yes the pc is actually remote, I used the ip that tailscale provided for the office pc (the pc with the drive) (photo), 

Before I tried using the IP from tailscale and the host name (none of them worked) I tried while tailscale was opened in background and it showed that I am connected

What do you mean by vpn with tailscale? Not how I do it?

image.png

image.png

Tailscale is a VPN, it’s providing you a tunnel into your local network while being abroad. Once the VPN is connected, you treat everything as if you are on the local network. So if your local network uses the standard 192.168.1.1 IP scheme, you would use 192.168.1.x\yoursharename

The IP tailscale provides doesn’t matter for this. If tailscale is properly working, and is actually making a connection, the remote machine can be treated as if it’s on the local network, and you would connect to the share just like you do with any other PC that is local, pretend tailscale doesn’t exist.  

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

15 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

Tailscale is a VPN, it’s providing you a tunnel into your local network while being abroad. Once the VPN is connected, you treat everything as if you are on the local network. So if your local network uses the standard 192.168.1.1 IP scheme, you would use 192.168.1.x\yoursharename

The IP tailscale provides doesn’t matter for this. If tailscale is properly working, and is actually making a connection, the remote machine can be treated as if it’s on the local network, and you would connect to the share just like you do with any other PC that is local, pretend tailscale doesn’t exist.  

But I tried to do what you said and that didn’t work, I treated it like its in the office (in the same location as the server) I used \\hostname\filename

in my situation is \\server\sys.

(of course while tailscale is active on both pcs)

How I can know my specific IP? Cmd  -> ipconfig -> and what shows under ipv4 ( it shows 10.0.0.x) is that okay?

if that’s okay, it didn’t work 😞, I wrote \\10.0.0.x\sys (sys is the file name and it’s shared as server) 

1 hour ago, Hajoj159 said:

But I tried to do what you said and that didn’t work, I treated it like its in the office (in the same location as the server) I used \\hostname\filename

in my situation is \\server\sys.

(of course while tailscale is active on both pcs)

How I can know my specific IP? Cmd  -> ipconfig -> and what shows under ipv4 ( it shows 10.0.0.x) is that okay?

if that’s okay, it didn’t work 😞, I wrote \\10.0.0.x\sys (sys is the file name and it’s shared as server) 

Use the IP of the machine sharing the \sys folder. Hostname should work assuming tailscale is using the same DNS as your internal devices, but to just remove that potential issue, use the IP of the machine sharing the folder. 

If the machine sharing \sys is 10.0.0.5, you’d use \\10.0.0.5\sys

If that doesn’t work, I’d assume tailscale is not actually working correctly. 

2 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

Use the IP of the machine sharing the \sys folder. Hostname should work assuming tailscale is using the same DNS as your internal devices, but to just remove that potential issue, use the IP of the machine sharing the folder. 

If the machine sharing \sys is 10.0.0.5, you’d use \\10.0.0.5\sys

If that doesn’t work, I’d assume tailscale is not actually working correctly. 

Tried it a minute ago, didn't work 😞 

11 minutes ago, Hajoj159 said:

Tried it a minute ago, didn't work 😞 

Then are you sure tailscale is working? Can you ping any device on the local LAN? Step 1 is confirm your VPN tunnel is actually passing traffic. 

14 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

Then are you sure tailscale is working? Can you ping any device on the local LAN? Step 1 is confirm your VPN tunnel is actually passing traffic. 

I tried to ping from the device that have issues to tailscale IP (of the server) and I got this: 

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 21ms, Maximum = 57ms, Average = 33ms

tried to ping for the server ip not tailscale ip I got this

Pinging 10.0.0.X with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 10.0.0.x:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

52 minutes ago, Hajoj159 said:

I tried to ping from the device that have issues to tailscale IP (of the server) and I got this: 

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 21ms, Maximum = 57ms, Average = 33ms

tried to ping for the server ip not tailscale ip I got this

Pinging 10.0.0.X with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 10.0.0.x:

I’m confused. What device is pinging what device, and what are the IP’s of the devices?

The only IP you should protect is your public IP. The internal LAN IP numbers you can just share, that doesn’t really mean much and isn’t much of a security issue… if someone is inside your network, you have larger issues. 

If you want, just make up similar IP’s as to what the machines are using. We just need to speak more correctly then 10.0.0.X since we can’t really figure out what’s going on with that.

What is your remote machines internal IP?

What is the machine hosting the share’s IP? 

The remote machine should be able to ping the “server” (machine hosting the share), but not the other way around. 

7 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

I’m confused. What device is pinging what device, and what are the IP’s of the devices?

The only IP you should protect is your public IP. The internal LAN IP numbers you can just share, that doesn’t really mean much and isn’t much of a security issue… if someone is inside your network, you have larger issues. 

If you want, just make up similar IP’s as to what the machines are using. We just need to speak more correctly then 10.0.0.X since we can’t really figure out what’s going on with that.

What is your remote machines internal IP?

What is the machine hosting the share’s IP? 

The remote machine should be able to ping the “server” (machine hosting the share), but not the other way around. 

The internal IP for the remote machine is (ipv4) - 192.168.1.13
Server machine internal IP is (IPV4) - 10.0.0.8

should I try to ping from remote machine to 10.0.0.8 or for the IP that tailscale provides? and should I do it while the remote machine is connected to tailscale?

35 minutes ago, Hajoj159 said:

The internal IP for the remote machine is (ipv4) - 192.168.1.13
Server machine internal IP is (IPV4) - 10.0.0.8

should I try to ping from remote machine to 10.0.0.8 or for the IP that tailscale provides? and should I do it while the remote machine is connected to tailscale?

You have multiple subnets? How is your network configured, are the other local PC’s that are able to access 10.0.0.8 also on the 10.0.0.1 subnet?

You would want to ping 10.0.0.8 from the 192.168.1.13 remote system, while it’s connected to tailscale. We want to prove that routing through the VPN is in fact working. 

52 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

You have multiple subnets? How is your network configured, are the other local PC’s that are able to access 10.0.0.8 also on the 10.0.0.1 subnet?

You would want to ping 10.0.0.8 from the 192.168.1.13 remote system, while it’s connected to tailscale. We want to prove that routing through the VPN is in fact working. 

The local machines that is in the same location as the server have an IP that start to range from 10.0.0..,
I tried to ping to 10.0.0.8 from 192.168.1.13 while tailscale is connected on both sides and I got this:

C:\Windows\System32>ping 10.0.0.8

Pinging 10.0.0.8 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 10.0.0.8:

I have Kaspersky software on the server machine, is it possible that this app is causing this issues? should I close all Kaspersky service and try again? 

2 hours ago, Hajoj159 said:

The local machines that is in the same location as the server have an IP that start to range from 10.0.0..,
I tried to ping to 10.0.0.8 from 192.168.1.13 while tailscale is connected on both sides and I got this:

C:\Windows\System32>ping 10.0.0.8

Pinging 10.0.0.8 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 10.0.0.8:

I have Kaspersky software on the server machine, is it possible that this app is causing this issues? should I close all Kaspersky service and try again? 

This means the VPN isn’t working correctly, or routing isn’t set up quite right. You first need to be able to ping across the VPN, if you can’t do that, data transfer will never work. 

I have not used tailscale myself, but I do use WireGuard. In the WireGuard config on the client side, you need to tell it what subnets it can reach on the other end of the tunnel, I assume something similar is needed for tailscale since it’s built on WireGuard. I doubt kasperski is the issue, it’s likely just a routing issue. 

7 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

This means the VPN isn’t working correctly, or routing isn’t set up quite right. You first need to be able to ping across the VPN, if you can’t do that, data transfer will never work. 

I have not used tailscale myself, but I do use WireGuard. In the WireGuard config on the client side, you need to tell it what subnets it can reach on the other end of the tunnel, I assume something similar is needed for tailscale since it’s built on WireGuard. I doubt kasperski is the issue, it’s likely just a routing issue. 

I don’t think I need wireguard or other app, cause when I try to do it reversely everything works fine; sharing a file from client pc that having issues to the server pc, the server pc connects perfect with no issues

8 hours ago, Hajoj159 said:

Tailscale is built on WireGuard, I’m simply saying I’m not personally sure how to configure tailscale to understand subnets. In WireGuard you have to add the subnets to the config, so I assume tailscale would be similar since it’s built on top of WireGuard. 

What do you mean sharing from server PC to client PC? VPN’s should only work 1 direction… nothing on the LAN side should be able to talk to anything on the remote side, connections have to be initiated on the remote side, not the other way around. 

I would suggest watching some YouTube videos on how to set this up. Something is clearly not quite right, and I’m not sure I am going to be able to solve it, especially since I have no actually used tailscale.