Alternative app stores will arive on iOS - but there are substantial caveats

HenrySalayne
4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

May I reminded you the rules just actually changed! Ergo you are wrong, you were wrong and it has always been a problem and needed to be addressed and got addressed.

The rules changed in a market Apple doesn't consider a priority. The rules have to change in the US. 

If the rules change in Australia or Canada, Apple can just play lip service like it's doing with the EU.

And if you don't think they won't, need I remind you:

https://www.reuters.com/technology/australia-says-law-making-facebook-google-pay-news-has-worked-2022-12-02/

https://www.theverge.com/2023/11/29/23981515/google-canadian-government-online-news-act-link-tax-agreement

All it takes is other markets to intend to gang up on the company by rolling out the same rules. Even if those rules don't benefit the customer and ultimately punish them for living in the country.

21 minutes ago, Kisai said:

The rules changed in a market Apple doesn't consider a priority

Excuse me, Netflix does not care about EU? I think we are done here, you have no idea at all.

image.png.817f5bf3e0298a6b738f34c93106bfc1.png

US/CAD: 33.6%, not that important if we were to follow your apparent "logic"

So if Netflix would care about this region so would Apple.

I always find it amusing when people insist US is hugely important and really only what matters and drives companies like Apple when there are 1.46 billion iPhone users and only 136 million are in the US. EU is just as big and just as important of a market.

46 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Excuse me, Netflix does not care about EU? I think we are done here, you have no idea at all.

image.png.817f5bf3e0298a6b738f34c93106bfc1.png

US/CAD: 33.6%, not that important if we were to follow your apparent "logic"

So if Netflix would care about this region so would Apple.

I always find it amusing when people insist US is hugely important and really only what matters and drives companies like Apple when there are 1.46 billion iPhone users and only 136 million are in the US. EU is just as big and just as important of a market.

Ahem, where is Netflix based? Oh yeah, the USA. Do you think the regulations matter outside the US for any reason other than "we'll play nice?"

We're not talking about content restrictions. Because the USA gets access to all the content, and the rest of these markets get fractions of the content in their own language, and some half-assed dub or subtitle-only on english content in their language. Netflix clearly doesn't care about non-english speaking markets as anything other than customers they can acquire if they do the minimum efforts to translate english content for them. But that is still money they have to sink into on a per-language basis that doesn't happen in the other direction.

Cause if I look at my Netflix right now, all the foreign shows are hidden unless they are Japanese Anime, or Korean TV dramas.

And I might add that acquiring customers in Asia without an on-app means, is basically leaving ALL the money on the table.

3 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Ahem, where is Netflix based? Oh yeah, the USA. Do you think the regulations matter outside the US for any reason other than "we'll play nice?"

Netflix could be based on the moon, does not in any way change that Netflix wants to make money and any sizeable market makes it important no matter where it is, moon or not.

How many US companies bend over to other nations? Yea, your point is horrible.

Because the USA gets access to all the content

Actually no the US does not get all content on Netflix.

We're not talking about content restrictions. Because the USA gets access to all the content, and the rest of these markets get fractions of the content in their own language, and some half-assed dub or subtitle-only on english content in their language. Netflix clearly doesn't care about non-english speaking markets as anything other than customers they can acquire if they do the minimum efforts to translate english content for them. But that is still money they have to sink into on a per-language basis that doesn't happen in the other direction.

Show your misguided prejudices any more please?

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Show your misguided prejudices any more please?

Do research please.

image.thumb.png.aefbb929c181deb1efe7cef9b4f055ea.png

image.thumb.png.300c5ca9dcd385c8aeb0e60603dacff9.png

image.thumb.png.f034778c30e62aa74ebe33c76fd52376.png

Okay, fine Slovakia has the largest library. Doesn't change the fact that all the content isn't available everywhere, and in those countries, they are paying effectively 20x that of the countries on the other side of the table.

https://www.datawrapper.de/_/m9a3x/ (from https://www.comparitech.com/blog/vpn-privacy/countries-netflix-cost/ )

I don't live there so I can't check if there are captions in Slovak there. But I'm sure the UK's larger library than the US has more to do with UK's silly TV License system.

On 1/27/2024 at 12:40 AM, Kisai said:

They could have just engineered the equipment to be less of a pain in the ass.

How tf do ppl still get this so absurdly wrong. You do not have to buy or rent ANY of their tools to get these parts, and the tools are apparently the same

they use internally in their stores.

On 1/27/2024 at 11:42 AM, HenrySalayne said:

"Our luxurious Mercedes broke down, so we have to use our good old Lada to drive to grandma." is something you would not say.

This is exactly what I would say, since the Lada is not the fancy new modern thing, but the old thing that I don’t really enjoy but hey at least it works reliably.

“Good old“ for me has a very ironic undertone that even though whatever it refers to is for sure not state of the art, one still has to admit that it still gets some aspects/part of the job better done or does only very basic things, but those in a very reliable way. Your example of the Lada is absolutely perfect.