Building my own office furniture

dmcr

Still building furniture for the home office (which is currently a mess as a result).  But I'm on the last piece, a window seat (not pictured).  It's nice to have stuff designed to fit the space I need.

Workstation under the desk on the far left is a Threadripper 3960X with 256G of RAM, 5 NVMe drives and 10G ethernet.  Custom loop (CPU and old 2080ti GPU).  It's my Linux dev machine.  There's a Mac Studio with 128G of RAM that's my primary desktop, tucked under the right side of the over bridge of the left desk.  Audio gear for conferencing and a drawer racked in the shelves on top of the desks, headsets hung in the bottom nook.  Under-desk rack has two ethernet switches connected to each other with a pair of 10G fiber connections (LACP).  One of those switches has a pair of 10G fiber connections to the main switch in basement.  Under-desk rack also has a PDU with pull-out lights, a CloudPlate for front air intake and a big old UPS that just won't die (batteries replaced roughly every 3 years).  Patch panels front and rear let me keep the front cabling tidy.  There's an exhaust fan panel in the rear.

I built all of the furniture.  Wood is oak, desk feet are Delrin, desk inserts are porcelain slabs (near impossible to scratch, PEI 5).

The under-desk rack is one of the more challenging things I've designed, since there was conflict between aesthetics versus function and strength.  I think it turned out well.  The leap was 'the front door is a box', which allowed me a lot of ventilation.  It stays cool but the fans are near silent.  It can easily be rolled out to gain some work space. It's only rolled out about half way in the picture. 

IMG_0507.jpg

IMG_0586.jpg

UnderDeskRack02.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2024 at 4:18 AM, dmcr said:

Still building furniture for the home office (which is currently a mess as a result).  But I'm on the last piece, a window seat (not pictured).  It's nice to have stuff designed to fit the space I need.

Workstation under the desk on the far left is a Threadripper 3960X with 256G of RAM, 5 NVMe drives and 10G ethernet.  Custom loop (CPU and old 2080ti GPU).  It's my Linux dev machine.  There's a Mac Studio with 128G of RAM that's my primary desktop, tucked under the right side of the over bridge of the left desk.  Audio gear for conferencing and a drawer racked in the shelves on top of the desks, headsets hung in the bottom nook.  Under-desk rack has two ethernet switches connected to each other with a pair of 10G fiber connections (LACP).  One of those switches has a pair of 10G fiber connections to the main switch in basement.  Under-desk rack also has a PDU with pull-out lights, a CloudPlate for front air intake and a big old UPS that just won't die (batteries replaced roughly every 3 years).  Patch panels front and rear let me keep the front cabling tidy.  There's an exhaust fan panel in the rear.

I built all of the furniture.  Wood is oak, desk feet are Delrin, desk inserts are porcelain slabs (near impossible to scratch, PEI 5).

The under-desk rack is one of the more challenging things I've designed, since there was conflict between aesthetics versus function and strength.  I think it turned out well.  The leap was 'the front door is a box', which allowed me a lot of ventilation.  It stays cool but the fans are near silent.  It can easily be rolled out to gain some work space. It's only rolled out about half way in the picture. 

IMG_0507.jpg

IMG_0586.jpg

UnderDeskRack02.jpg

This is beautiful. If I built it, it'd be crooked, I'd need half a bottle of wood filler to fill the gaps from miter joints not lining up, and it wouldn't sit level. How long did it take you to build?

please tag me for a response, It's really hard to keep tabs on every thread I reply to. thanks!!

On 2/8/2024 at 1:49 PM, ToboRobot said:

How did you design it?

Beautiful work. 

Thanks!

Design for all the furniture was done in SketchUp.  The old free version, which I've been limping along on macOS for way too long but I've got enough time invested in learning to use it that it's not yet a sunken cost.  Though I admit that I sink way too much time in the drawings, in the end I like having them because they help prevent mistakes before I've started cutting up hardwood.

On 2/9/2024 at 9:27 AM, Dillpickle23422 said:

This is beautiful. If I built it, it'd be crooked, I'd need half a bottle of wood filler to fill the gaps from miter joints not lining up, and it wouldn't sit level. How long did it take you to build?

Way too long to build each piece.  Hard for me to say for each one since I don't keep track of time spent in SketchUp.  I do have some power tools, but they're contractor grade (not cabinet maker grade).  Sliding compound miter saw, table saw. drill press.  I'm pretty sure my time in SketchUp exceeds the time doing the build.  Except maybe the desks since it was a boatload of dowels in addition to the barrel nuts and threaded inserts (each desk can be broken down into 4 pieces since they're silly heavy when assembled).

X-ray view of a desk attached so you'll see what I mean.

DeskXRay.png

Window seat done (but haven't ordered a custom cushion yet).  Top is 61.5" wide and 25.5" deep.  Just happy coincidence that I was able to get a discounted 1.375" thick oak butcher block piece from Menard's that was 60" long and 24" wide.  I framed it with 1x2 oak.  On the left I installed 8U rack rails so I could install a 3U rack mount drawer, a 2U rack mount drawer and a 3U fan panel (holds 120mm fans).  The window seat straddles the only HVAC register in the room (visible on the floor in picture), so I figured I should have a means of assisting air flow if needed.  Fans are quiet but I'll probably later replace them with Noctua.  They're plugged into a Kasa smart plug so I can turn them on and off with voice (HomeKit in my case, but the Kasa smart plugs work with Alexa and Google Home too).  Big wood drawer on the right for office miscellany, on 100 lb. slides.

IMG_0596.jpg

IMG_0602.jpg

1 hour ago, dmcr said:

Thanks!

Design for all the furniture was done in SketchUp.  The old free version, which I've been limping along on macOS for way too long but I've got enough time invested in learning to use it that it's not yet a sunken cost.  Though I admit that I sink way too much time in the drawings, in the end I like having them because they help prevent mistakes before I've started cutting up hardwood.

Very cool.  Measure twice, cut once.  With the high end materials, it makes so much sense to get it right the first time.  Thank you for sharing.