What's with YouTuber's and hating on 1gig network speeds???

Commander_Dork
Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
2 minutes ago, Commander_Dork said:

Can you get 2.5gigabit on your local network even if your router is providing gigabit???

Yes. Local network speeds and speeds to the larger network speeds aren't related beyond your local speed being the limiting factor for the WAN speed. If you have things like a NAS on your network, having 2.5Gb would allow you to have higher speeds to and from your server. 

I still don't really consider it all that useful, since 2.5Gb equipment is still rather expensive (routers are just now starting to get them), at least the Intel 2.5Gb NICs (the ones that seem to be the most common, at least integrated into motherboards) are pretty terrible, and and if you really need higher speeds than 1Gb on your local network you can buy retired 10Gb gear from the data center for about the same price as 2.5Gb gear. 

Kind of a rant also kind of a question. Just about every youtuber I see is complaining about 1gig network speeds and I feel like constantly telling your audience who probably can't afford 2.5+ gigabit network speeds let alone gigabit (my bill is literally $100+ a month even with a bit of financial help) is just a terrible idea giving most hobbyists the wrong impression and perhaps wasting money thinking they can't run a home server on 500mbps granted it won't be the greatest but to act like anything less than 2.5 isn't good enough is just wrong imo. The ones I've seen so far don't even give disclaimers on it like "If you're not currently using a wifi plan above 1gigabit then don't purchase this." Am I wrong? Is there something I'm missing? Can you get 2.5gigabit on your local network even if your router is providing gigabit??? If I'm not wrong, am I the only one who hates this? am i being stupid.....

I’m happy with 400mbps internet ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

realistically the average family household doesn’t need more than 500mbps IMO

I love making PCPartPicker lists.

If I answer your question (or someone else), please mark it as the answer. 

Please refresh before replying, I like to edit my posts.

PC SPECS: Intel i5-12600K, RX 6700 XT, 32GB DDR4 RAM

Favorite cheap but great tech: AMD RX 6700 XT, Yunzii YZ75 Keyboard, Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx

2 minutes ago, Commander_Dork said:

Can you get 2.5gigabit on your local network even if your router is providing gigabit???

Yes. Local network speeds and speeds to the larger network speeds aren't related beyond your local speed being the limiting factor for the WAN speed. If you have things like a NAS on your network, having 2.5Gb would allow you to have higher speeds to and from your server. 

I still don't really consider it all that useful, since 2.5Gb equipment is still rather expensive (routers are just now starting to get them), at least the Intel 2.5Gb NICs (the ones that seem to be the most common, at least integrated into motherboards) are pretty terrible, and and if you really need higher speeds than 1Gb on your local network you can buy retired 10Gb gear from the data center for about the same price as 2.5Gb gear. 

10 minutes ago, Commander_Dork said:

Kind of a rant also kind of a question. Just about every youtuber I see is complaining about 1gig network speeds and I feel like constantly telling your audience who probably can't afford 2.5+ gigabit network speeds let alone gigabit (my bill is literally $100+ a month even with a bit of financial help) is just a terrible idea giving most hobbyists the wrong impression and perhaps wasting money thinking they can't run a home server on 500mbps granted it won't be the greatest but to act like anything less than 2.5 isn't good enough is just wrong imo. The ones I've seen so far don't even give disclaimers on it like "If you're not currently using a wifi plan above 1gigabit then don't purchase this." Am I wrong? Is there something I'm missing? Can you get 2.5gigabit on your local network even if your router is providing gigabit??? If I'm not wrong, am I the only one who hates this? am i being stupid.....

YouTubers will say anything for a buck. 

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

ok that makes sense dude thanks so much!

12 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I still don't really consider it all that useful, since 2.5Gb equipment is still rather expensive (routers are just now starting to get them), at least the Intel 2.5Gb NICs (the ones that seem to be the most common, at least integrated into motherboards) are pretty terrible

Its unclear what is causing the issues or how widespread it really is.  After all, we only see reports of when it doesn't work properly, not the likely majority where it does.  ServeTheHome reviews tons of mini PCs with the i225 and i226 that appear to be fine.  I have two appliances, one with 4x i225 B3 and other with 4x i226, they work perfectly.

I've got two PCs with on-board 2.5Gbit, one Realtek one Intel, both work fine.  I have two 2.5Gbit Realtek USB adapters which work fine too.

My AQC107 10Gbit NIC worked fine until Microsoft did something in a Windows update that broke it, still works fine in Linux.

When and how things are going wrong for some people is not at all clear, but its likely not as common as it feels from forum posts, as were only seeing when it goes wrong.  Same with the 12VHWPR connector problem, its a problem sure, but its not a common problem statistically speaking.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7