The PC of Theseus

ShadowChaser

The recent F@H sprints have allowed me to revive my PC of Theseus that has existed in some form since 2019. Currently the only things remaining from the original build are just the fans and case, but it's fun to see this thing still hanging around.

The latest iteration is just a mish-mash of spare parts I had laying around to get some extra points and warm up my apartment:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600

Mobo: AsRock B550 PG4

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x16GB 2666

GPU0: EVGA RTX 3060Ti FTW3

GPU1: Nvidia Tesla P40

Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB

PSU: Revolution D.F. 650W

All this built into a Raijintek Ponos and uses Noctua Redux 140 and 120s as case fans.

The Tesla P40 has a dual 40mm adapter I designed and is cooled by Arctic 40mm server fans.

image.thumb.jpeg.212318e04266adfda8780721d791bdae.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.7cd756a1d1614ee487a44ca8277603cd.jpeg

Pretty pleased with the cable management in this iteration. For a budget case the Ponos is pretty good on cable routing options and that has always come in handy whenever I build in this chassis.

I can't quite get the P40 to dissipate more than 200-ish watts without the fans going screamo mode but I haven't repasted it yet. Hopefully that'll allow me to drop a few degrees and let me fun the 40mm fans at a more reasonable rpm. It is living in a hallway where the ambient temperature is about 15C so that does help matters a little 馃槢

Daily Driver:Asus ROG Flow X13 - 5900HS/3050 Ti

Primary Desktop:NCase M1聽- 5800X3D/RX 6950XT

Travel PC:Fractal Terra -聽5800X/RTX 3060 Ti

I have too many computers. List here.

29 minutes ago, ShadowChaser said:

I can't quite get the P40 to dissipate more than 200-ish watts without the fans going screamo mode but I haven't repasted it yet.

I mean you spent so much money on those expensive Noctua case fans when you could've spent it on any 12/14cm CPU cooler. Repasting that thing isn't going to do much for the noise, those stock AMD coolers are pretty crap by my standards for how much noise they make.

13 minutes ago, Jon-Slow said:

I mean you spent so much money on those expensive Noctua case fans when you could've spent it on any 12/14cm CPU cooler. Repasting that thing isn't going to do much for the noise, those stock AMD coolers are pretty crap by my standards for how much noise they make.

perhaps, but 65W TDP CPU doesn't really need a better cooler if you're not affraid it gets slightly warmer at all core loads

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes.

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

30 minutes ago, Jon-Slow said:

not talking about the 5600. That thing sips power and doesn't get hot anyway. The case fans I've had since the very beginning so the $15 or so per fan hardly matters anymore 馃檪

The Tesla is probably 6 or 7 years old and doesn't look like it's been serviced in those years. I have it as supplemental heat since Pascal GPUs don't push as many points in F@H as they used to.

I kinda want to get into folding at home stuff, I鈥檝e got a wall of gpus that could be put to use.聽
loving the noctua redux fans, I use them in my main pc, gray vibes best vibes聽

So I was watching WAN show and they were talking about the forum and I thought to myself, gee I should probably update my profile and build log.聽 Decided the old title of used parts rebuild from the original post wasn't accurate and I've been joking about it being a PC of Thesus for a while so I went with that.聽 Decided to check the build logs and saw you also went with a similar title.聽 Sorry about the similarity, it was not intentional.

There's something cool here - you just can't see it.

On 1/22/2024 at 12:06 AM, podkall said:

perhaps, but 65W TDP CPU doesn't really need a better cooler if you're not affraid it gets slightly warmer at all core loads

On 1/22/2024 at 12:23 AM, ShadowChaser said:

not talking about the 5600. That thing sips power and doesn't get hot anyway. The case fans I've had since the very beginning so the $15 or so per fan hardly matters anymore 馃檪

yes, my poiny was the for the noise not the temps.

1 hour ago, Jon-Slow said:

I mean sure, but even noise can be lowered for increased thermal anxiety

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes.

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

5 hours ago, Jon-Slow said:

There's no real solution for the gpu without installing a vga cooler unfortunately or massively altering the stock heatsink assembly.

9 hours ago, podkall said:

I mean sure, but even noise can be lowered for increased thermal anxiety

I guess it's a personal thing and depends on how much noise you have in your room. But those stock AMD coolers have a difficult noise to them at any RPM in my room. But I'm very sensetive, I've even removed my GPU shroud and fans and ziptied 2 Arctic p14 fans to it. for me it's definitely worth it to spend the least amount of money on a cheap heatsink that can have聽 a 12cm fan on it at least.