My dad and I detached the tv from the wall to move it close to my pc and use it as a main monitor(small tv, not like those box tvs but like something 10+ years ago). When I plug it into my pc though the screen is a little shaky like from left to right. The colors are mostly correct but some flickering in some small spots. Gpu: RTX 3050  Connection: Hdmi to Vga with a vga cable going to the tv  TV: Old TLC 1080p tv

UPDATE:

Buying a regular hdmi cable fixed it.

Moral of the story:

Have cables

Edited by ThatOneWhoRippedACpu
Fixed issue

1 hour ago, ThatOneWhoRippedACpu said:

My dad and I detached the tv from the wall to move it close to my pc and use it as a main monitor(small tv, not like those box tvs but like something 10+ years ago). When I plug it into my pc though the screen is a little shaky like from left to right. The colors are mostly correct but some flickering in some small spots. Gpu: RTX 3050  Connection: Hdmi to Vga with a vga cable going to the tv  TV: Old TLC 1080p tv

Oof. Shakey display output would be super distracting to use if that were my computer display. I would try connecting using straight HDMI to HDMI if that's an option, otherwise it's likely time to replace that TV with something newer that doesn't shake.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

3 hours ago, ThatOneWhoRippedACpu said:

It's likely not the TV. The HDMI to VGA converter (not adapter) is converting a digital signal (HDMI) to an analog signal (VGA). If it has a tiny adjustment knob/screw on the converter, you need to adjust the clock and phase.

If for some reason the converter doesn't have a clock/phase adjustment, then you'll be at the mercy of the TV signal-calibrate/auto-calibrate/auto-adjust/picture auto-adjust function (they are not always called the same thing, but it is not related to TV channels 😉).  The TV will attempt to properly dial in to the clock and phase sent by the VGA converter.

You should force-run the TV picture auto adjust either way, it's not normally automatic.

There is approximately a 117% chance I edited my post.

Please refresh before you reply.

Did a post solve your issue?  Please mark it as the solution!

8 hours ago, kirashi said:

Oof. Shakey display output would be super distracting to use if that were my computer display. I would try connecting using straight HDMI to HDMI if that's an option, otherwise it's likely time to replace that TV with something newer that doesn't shake.

I'll be getting a new hdmi cable and a 2 pin power cord in the morning for testing so I'll update on that when I do get those

6 hours ago, problemsolver said:

It's likely not the TV. The HDMI to VGA converter (not adapter) is converting a digital signal (HDMI) to an analog signal (VGA). If it has a tiny adjustment knob/screw on the converter, you need to adjust the clock and phase.

If for some reason the converter doesn't have a clock/phase adjustment, then you'll be at the mercy of the TV signal-calibrate/auto-calibrate/auto-adjust/picture auto-adjust function (they are not always called the same thing, but it is not related to TV channels 😉).  The TV will attempt to properly dial in to the clock and phase sent by the VGA converter.

You should force-run the TV picture auto adjust either way, it's not normally automatic.

The converter is super basic, straight hdmi plugged into my computer and using a vga cord on the other end. It works fine on my monitor but not so well on the tv