Im planning in using a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R motherboard and a i7 930 cpu that i gor from school, can it load games like fortnite on low settings?

Budget (including currency): EUR. 200€ buying new things

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Fortnite/ simple gaming, workplace pc

Other details: no

Edited by Rzaex

For that system to game you would need to find an appropriate GPU, it wouldn't need to be all that powerful... As your CPU does not warrant it, I don not know the used market in that country, but I would look at something like a  (for Nvidia) GTX750, 750ti, 760, 950, 960, 1030 GDDR5 (watch out for the DDR4 variant... don't buy that), 1050 or a 1650 For AMD I would be looking at a RX460, 470, 480, 560, 570, 580, or a 6500XT.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

30 minutes ago, Rzaex said:

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Fortnite/ simple gaming, workplace pc

Depends on the graphics card but yes, the i7-930 can play Fortnite quite well!

But you need a graphics card, this CPU does not have integrated graphics.

I miss my own Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R and I7-950 I overclocked to 3.7ghz!.. One of my favorite PC I ever built.

2 minutes ago, Rzaex said:

I have a p6x58de + x5650 @4.2ghz + 24gb (6x4) 1900 ddr3 build and when it had an rx 580 2048sp in it (equiv to gtx 1060) it was definitely capable of 60+ fps and thats gpu limited

Theres no real reason to stick with the i7 930 since you can buy used 6 core xeons for really cheap but itll also do just fine since westmere is just a refresh, just keep in mind that itll run pretty hot

if you do upgrade the i7 to a 6 core chip id reccomend a 6 core gulftown i7 or xeon w if they arent much more than xeon x, the w3680/90 and i7 980x/990x have unlocked multis and should be binned abit higher so should be able to oc abit better, w3670 is locked but ecc support with unlocked imc (>10x ram multi support), i7 970/980 non x are still gulftown so you still have access to >10x memory multipliers compared to xeon x/e that are stuck with 10x ram multi so you are basically stuck to ~2200 ddr3 on the xeon x/e cpus instead of ~2600 ddr3 with a conventional 1:1.5 uncore memclk ratio or even 3400-3600 ddr3 with the 1:1 uncore memclk ratio which you can set on that giga board

though do beware that >2600 and the outermost channel of the x58a ud3r craps out and becomes very inconsistent, havent seen any speed higher than 2800 detecting on that outermost channel with my x58a ud3r, though the 2 inner channels seem to handle 3000+ just fine, also youll need bios FA or FB to run 1:1 uncore memclk, tried ff on my board and it immedeatly broke 1:1 uncore and i could no longer hit 3000+ on my i7 930

As for cpu oc capabilities depends on how good your chip is, shittier bins that youd find on cpus like the x5650 i have maybe youll only be able to hit 4.2ghz at 1.36v whilst a better binned chip that youd more commonly find on chips like the x5675/80/90, w3670/80/90, or the i7 980x/990x may be able to do 4.5-4.6ghz at that same 1.36v or 1.4v, and be able to push speeds like 4.8-5ghz at 1.5v. For that i7 930 i havent done too much testing but my i7 920 which seems to be similarly binned to my best i7 930 (capable of 3184 ddr3) is able to do 4ghz at 1.28v though crappier bins may only be able to do 4ghz at 1.35v, you can check your cpus bin by testing clockspeed or testing max uncore cause those seem to be related (high clocking cpu will also clock uncore high and vice versa)

You do not want to run stock as itll be abysmally slow at that stock 2.93ghz and 4ghz is pretty easy to obtain for most 45nm nehalem chips, westmere equivalent is 4.2-4.3ghz for most chips (most chips = even the crappier binned ones that dont clock very well)

Ram oc can be ignored but its pretty easy to hit 3800-3900 uncore at 1.5v-1.6v vtt and 1900/1950 ddr3 or ~2600 ddr3 and 3900 uncore for xeon w/gulftown i7 so its a nice easy performance boost though stresstesting rams may take a few hours unlike the cpu where you can just run prime95 smallest ffts for 15-30 mins, so if you dont wanna wait a few hours just stick to cpu oc

Now for gpu pairing depends on how much you wanna spend on the gpu

Used rx570/580 go for peanuts nowadays and are equivalent to gtx 1060 for 40-60€ (4/8gb models) though may be higher for some used markets

Used 1070/1080 might be able to find those for around 100€

34 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Performance mode really carries well on old CPU but on newer system theyre a struggle bus. So yeah, worth a bet, just need a proper GPU to pair with it. I agree more with RX 580 8GB as @Somerandomtechyboi suggests, because that would be pennies and you can focus the rest of the money for a proper PC savings rather than continuing on doorstop after doorstop upgrade.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

23 minutes ago, SorryBella said:

Performance mode really carries well on old CPU but on newer system theyre a struggle bus. So yeah, worth a bet, just need a proper GPU to pair with it. I agree more with RX 580 8GB as @Somerandomtechyboi suggests, because that would be pennies and you can focus the rest of the money for a proper PC savings rather than continuing on doorstop after doorstop upgrade.

Its quite crazy how well the RX 580 8GB still holds up today in 1080p gaming.
What a legendary card.

And I didn't mean for him to buy the 3060 ti in the video, just showing that the 930 is still a capeable gaming CPU.

The X58 board and i7-930 should run Fortnite just fine if paired with a decent GPU.

But I would strongly advise you to upgrade from that underwhelming 4C/8T i7-930 to a 6C/12T Xeon for pennies. The Xeon X5650, for instance, can be purchased on AliExpress for a only $1.82 USD (plus another $1.77 in shipping)!

There are 3 6C/12T Xeons I currently recommend:

$1.82 USD - Xeon X5650. 2.67 GHz base clock, turbo frequency at 3.06 GHz. Locked multiplier, but most can be BCLK OC'd to 4 GHz on a generic air cooler unless you lose the silicon lottery really badly. Unbeatable value for the cost of a Big Mac from McDonald's. Remember - this was a $999 USD MSRP CPU back in 2010!

$4.58 USD - Xeon X5675. Basically the same CPU with better binning, as it runs at 3.06 GHz base and turbos up to 3.46 GHz. The extra money really just ensures you get a better-binned CPU that should be able to break 4 GHz, whereas some X5650's just can't do it.

$14.02 USD - Xeon W3680. This is the Xeon equivalent of the i7-980. Unlike the above 2 CPUs, the multiplier is unlocked and is slightly easier to OC. Even better stock clock at 3.3 GHz and turbo frequency up to 3.6 GHz.

At this point though all 3 CPUs are 14 years old and differences between their performance are borderline irrelevant given how much faster modern hardware is. I'd personally just get the X5650 and call it a day. Most people back in the day could hit 4 GHz on air cooling stably with the X5650 anyways.

Finally, there's a long-standing Xeon X58/X79/X99/X299 HEDT thread on the LTT forums that's been going strong for 6 years. I highly encourage you to check it out as there's a wealth of information in there, including a few snippets from yours truly. @Zando_ if you're still around much these days, thanks for maintaining the thread for so long 🙂

FormD T1 V1.1 Build

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 || Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX || RAM: 32 GB (2x 16 GB) 3,200 MHz CL16 Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 ||
GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC ACX 2.0 || Storage: 1x 128 GB Samsung PM851, 1x 256 GB Adata SU800, 1x 1 TB Crucial P5, 1x 2 TB Teamgroup MP34 ||
Case: FormD T1 V1.1 (Silver Panels/Black Mesh) || PSU: Corsair SF750 || Cooling: Noctua NH-L9a, 2x NF-A12x25

x58 takes a hit in profroamce do to the virus spetra and meltdown. so its not as good as it once was.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

1 hour ago, Aveniform said:

$14.02 USD - Xeon W3680. This is the Xeon equivalent of the i7-980. Unlike the above 2 CPUs, the multiplier is unlocked and is slightly easier to OC. Even better stock clock at 3.3 GHz and turbo frequency up to 3.6 GHz

Not to mention it is better binned and the imc is not locked to 10x multi

Most of the ones ive seen online are capable of 4.5-4.6ghz at ~1.45v, and looking at hwbot the imc seems to be capable of 3400-3600 ddr3 if you are using a board that doesnt force 1:1.5 uncore memclk ratio like ops gigabyte board, though its pretty useless on anything that wont clock the 3rd channel that far which the x58a ud3r has issues with >2600 ddr3 on the 3rd channel, so basically only useful on an x58a oc or whatever oher board with a strong 3rd channel, but still 2600 is better than the 2200 youd be stuck with if you got an x/e xeon

Id also reccomend the w3670 and the i7 980x/990x

9 hours ago, Hinjima said:

But you need a graphics card, this CPU does not have integrated graphics.

I miss my own Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R and I7-950 I overclocked to 3.7ghz!.. One of my favorite PC I ever built.

I was thinking abt giving it the last juice my old gtx 970 has.  I am thinking can it load solid 90+fps?

2 hours ago, Rzaex said:

I was thinking abt giving it the last juice my old gtx 970 has.  I am thinking can it load solid 90+fps?

The card is able to do that in Fortnite 🙂  Might struggle a bit with the I7-930 but I think it should be doable on low settings.