Help me find a way to wake up my laptop (fedora)

Hi,

I have my laptop with fedora 39 (i3 spin) connected through a kvm to my monitors and peripherals.

When the lid is closed the laptop goes into sleep mode.  Before having the kvm I used to puge the laptop to the monitor keyboard and mouse using all its ports and by simply turning off the screen the laptop was going to sleep mode. Then to wake up I just needed to turn on the screen and press any key on the keyboard. 

Now with the kvm this is different. I was hoping that pressing the PC selection button from the kvm or even the on/off button the laptop would wake up. However, the only way to wake it up is to open its lid and pressing any key on the keyboard of the laptop, this is a bit annoying since the laptop is usually out of my reach. 

I'm trying to find a better way to wake up my laptop and have a more fluid workflow. Firsrt, I was thinking on letting the laptop always on, but then I'd have to make sure it's on sleep mode before taking it on my backpack..

I'm  out of ideas and that's why I'm asking you 

thank you

Is the KVM powered from the USB port? 

If that is the case, the laptop is not outputting power to USB in sleep mode, and as such, the keyboard attached to the KVM does not have power while the laptop is closed - thus can't wake it up.

In your BIOS there might be an option to output power to USB in sleep mode - often called "USB power in S1", "USB Power on Idle" etc - Dell calls it PowerShare.

13 hours ago, da na said:

Is the KVM powered from the USB port? 

It has its own power source but the behavior is just as you described

13 hours ago, da na said:

In your BIOS there might be an option to output power to USB in sleep mode - often called "USB power in S1", "USB Power on Idle" etc - Dell calls it PowerShare.

I actually checked that, but couldn't find anything similar 😞 I have a thinkpad e14 gen4

37 minutes ago, raverr said:

It has its own power source but the behavior is just as you described

I actually checked that, but couldn't find anything similar 😞 I have a thinkpad e14 gen4

Press caps lock on your attached USB keyboard, close the lid, and see if the light stays on. Bit odd that the KVM would not carry USB signals when the laptop is in sleep mode if it has its own power source though

23 hours ago, da na said:

Press caps lock on your attached USB keyboard, close the lid, and see if the light stays on. Bit odd that the KVM would not carry USB signals when the laptop is in sleep mode if it has its own power source though

well I have a RGB keyboard so yes, it turns off weirdly enough. I also noticed xrandr for doesn't detect the same outputs with the same identifier (display  1 2 sometimes is 3 4 ) so I made a little script to get and set the correct screens. 
I'm open to do something similar and find a confortable way to wake up the computer but right now I dont know what my options are 😛