The Original NR200(P) by Cooler Master is being discontinued and replaced.

Failure 101

Summary

Cooler Master said during CES this week that they are retiring their NR200 and  NR200P V1 that was released back in 2020, and was highly recommended by the SFF community. The NR200 will live on with their new NR200P V2 model, which only supports vertical GPU mounting, which is been a change from the budget friendly design of their previous models.

Quotes

The writing was on the wall, but the news doesn’t go down any easier: Cooler Master has confirmed the NR200, the mini-ITX case that launched numerous pandemic PC builds, will soon be no more

“When Cooler Master announced the NR200P V2 at CES 2024 last week, I thought the NR200 could stick around as the standard version of the case. It would’ve served as the more flexible version that still accommodated horizontal GPU configurations

My thoughts

I wish that the original NR200 could stay as its older cheaper brother that doesn’t require a riser to install a GPU. A change which doesn’t seem to be particularly liked judging by the Comments under PC World’s Video on it or the r/sffpc Subreddit, and I don’t like the change either. The Price of the NR200 V1 was around 40$ recently and a PCIE riser is about the same price as that. Welp, guess it’s time to recommend other options like the SAMA IM01, Jonsbo D30 or the AP201, etc..

Sources

PC World

PS: Very New to writing articles, Please tell me what to improve on

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

I'm not sure I understand the direction of travel with this. The MAX existed for people who wanted a watercooled case, and the high price + fewer options seems like a step in the wrong direction.

Perhaps an SFF expert can prove me wrong, but these are my initial thoughts.

The NR200 V2 is a massive fail. The vertical GPU mount means you MUST use the perforated non-TG side panel unless the GPU is waterblocked. Said GPU mount also completely blocks off most CPU cooler clearance and basically necessitates the CPU be watercooled (AIO most likely).

The original NR200 was poorly designed and space inefficient too, but at least it had 3 advantages: riser-less GPU mounting with space for long 3+ slot GPUs, extensive air cooling support, and cheap price. This new case is NONE of that. And its pricing vis-à-vis its features is completely uncompetitive.  For example, on Newegg now (non-exhaustive examples):

$55 SAMA IM01: 20L case with full 244x244 mATX motherboard support, ATX PSU support without needing to use zip ties or 3D print your own bracket. Is barely bigger than the NR200 by ~1cm in LxWxH. Can also be had for $47 open box.

$100 SSUPD Meshroom S: 14.97L case with support for ATX PSUs and dual 240mm radiators. Can also support full 244x244 mATX boards with an extender bracket. No riser needed. Basically in the spirit of the original Ncase M1 classic.

$155 Lian Li A4 H2O: 11L case with support for 3-slot GPUs ~322 mm in length, <47mm CPU coolers (or AIO pump heads), and 240mm radiators. Basically a FormD T1 permanently in 3-slot mode but cheaper and actually purchasable from North America.

Either you can get a similar-sized case with BETTER GPU/motherboard compatibility for 1/3 of the price, or a case for the same price at HALF the volume. Big fail for the NR200 V2.

FormD T1 V1.1 Build

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 || Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX || RAM: 32 GB (2x 16 GB) 3,200 MHz CL16 Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 ||
GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC ACX 2.0 || Storage: 1x 128 GB Samsung PM851, 1x 256 GB Adata SU800, 1x 1 TB Crucial P5, 1x 2 TB Teamgroup MP34 ||
Case: FormD T1 V1.1 (Silver Panels/Black Mesh) || PSU: Corsair SF750 || Cooling: Noctua NH-L9a, 2x NF-A12x25

Was planning to build my next pc in it, but I saw a YouTube video using this case and both the price and the even smaller size made me bite the bullet

https://a.aliexpress.com/_EusPJSH

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Sad to see such a good budget, easy to build option be replaced with a not budget, not easy to build (and use) option. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

I recently just bought and did a build in one 

Generally ok. Build quality kinda bad, bigger than I expected. Paid 200$ for it 

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R