Need help finding a suitable laptop for my partner.

As the title suggests, I need help choosing a windows laptop for my partner. My budget is sub £1000 ideally around the £600-700 range. As my partner needs to take their laptop to lectures, being relatively lightweight would be good. It will mainly be used for taking notes however it will also be used for some light gaming (Skyrim, Minecraft, Slime Rancher etc.) Nothing too taxing. It would also be GREAT to have a fingerprint scanner as my partner has ADHD and gets super frustrated with passwords. The keyboard and typing experience is not a huge issue for them, as they are terrible at typing anyways and the same goes for the trackpad, as long as both are functional. My partner is NOT a techy person and so will not be un/impressed by extra nice keyboard/display technology/refresh rate/bezels/ Many thanks to the kind people of the LTT forum. 

Ordered List of priorities:

1. Decent boot speed and performance.

2. Practicality and real world convenience (weight and size).

3. Light gaming.

4. Ease of use.

The ASUS Zenbook @ $1000 is pretty sleek and lightweight. It's not winning any awards for gaming, but it should run all the games you listed just fine. No fingerprint reader, but it can use Windows Hello to automatically unlock upon seeing your partner's face. 

However, that is at the very top of your price range. You could also consider something like the HP Envy x360 for $700 (again no fingerprint reader but would work with Windows Hello).

Links to the stores you are buying from?

Id reccomend a ryzen based laptop, particularly something based on the 7840u/hs due to having a pretty good igpu (radeon 780m)

On 1/10/2024 at 12:50 AM, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Links to the stores you are buying from?

Id reccomend a ryzen based laptop, particularly something based on the 7840u/hs due to having a pretty good igpu (radeon 780m)

I am in the UK so I would be buying from Amazon or from Currys https://www.currys.co.uk, It doesnt need to be current gen, it can be last gen, as long as it works. She is currently using an Inspiron 5402 at the moment XDD.

Thank you both so much!!!!! You've both been amazingly helpful. I found a Lenovo yoga for them that I think they will love this one. I really appreciate both of you taking the time to help me. Thank you so much again.