MacBook Pro Retina 2013 13" doesn't turn on.

A friend called me to help him with his MacBook Retina 2013 13" because he slept with it a week ago and stopped working. So I tried to fix it the best I can but still no luck and I'm trying to see if any of you can help. 

I first checked the screen because I thought that the LCD was maybe cracked, but I didn't see anything. 

So I tried pretty much everything else

Force the shutdown, resetting both the SMC and the PRAM/NVRAM, let it charge overnight and try resetting again. When I try to turn it on, no chimes but the caps lock key lights up when pressed.

I tried to see if it'd display anything on my external monitor but no luck. 

I decided to disassemble it to look and see if there was any sign of damage on the motherboard, nothing looks almost pristine. 

Unplugged the battery overnight and tried all the steps again. I tried to turn it on whilst the battery was unplugged still no response except for the cpu fan turning and the caps lock lighting up. 

I've ran out of idea and I've never fixed a Mac before. 

As far as I can tell it's either the screen that's broken (most likely) or an issue with the motherboard (the fact that it doesn't chime or display on my monitor scares me a bit) 

*Edit : My friend just told me that before the laptop turned on in safe mode so it might also be the hard drive that is dead? I don't know how a Mac proceeds if it doesn't have an OS available 

But I'd like to be sure before buying a replacement LCD that still cost a fair bit. 

Thanks again for any help you can provide.

Edited by Valerio Musco

If you plug in an external display but it doesn’t show anything, it’s not the display. The fact that it displayed something for your friend confirms that.

Thst thing is a decade old at this point. Could be a number of things. Ram or storage would be my first suspects.

Oh yeah, don't know why I didn't think about a ram issue. 

Thanks for the answer! I'll still try to swap the ssd and hope for the best. 

Don't know how hard it is to reinstall MacOS tho ahaha