Apple confirms 256GB of storage will be on their Vision Pro

filpo
1 hour ago, Issac Zachary said:

Oddly, my reason for not buying Apple products is quite the opposite. I always feel that they are more powerful than I'll ever need. The games I play work on 10-year-old hardware just fine. And I don't see how added performance helps me use a wordprocessor or a web browser.

On the other hand, with such a small need for raw power you're in an enviable position: the world is your oyster (since you can pick any hardware) and you could "get crazy" with all the other aspects except raw power (thinness, battery life, exotic screen tech, build quality, collateral ecosystem-based features, your personal taste for a particular design, etc.).

Well except for the ham radio part if that requires platform-specific software.

But other than that, you're actually the perfect canditate for something like an M3 iMac (or the upcoming M3 Macbook Air) with the word processor of your choice, some of the fastest web browsing performances on Earth and low spec Windows games running via CrossOver or Parallels. 

Or for something even crazier but it's a bit early to mention it. 

(I'm thinking of a 2026 1699$-1999$ Apple Vision "Air" headset with A19 Pro + R2, 8GB RAM, 256GB, no external EyeSight display, cheaper materials, a crappy built-in speaker in the main body instead of the spatial "audio pod" sidestraps, only one basic headband included in the box, etc., that would be enough for the kind of low spec needs you described, sure there are cheaper ways to do it but you would be doing it on an exotic "whole room display" 😎 and using an even more exotic "gaze mouse")

9 minutes ago, ccnow said:

No, it has nothing to do with the user.

isn't the user the one buying the product and stock? (rhetorical)

10 minutes ago, ccnow said:

Imposing restrictions on hardware

such as low storage capacity? I know that games aren't gonna be stored on the headset but if it's gonna be used as an alternative for an apple laptop/immersion it's gonna need apps which will take up storage

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

47 minutes ago, ccnow said:

Could Apple have included more onboard storage? Yes, of course they could have. It probably wouldn't have even moved the needle on their price. Sometimes the decision to include less storage is a nudge by Apple trying to control the end user experience. They include less storage which can then nudge developers in the direction Apple wants them to go in terms of software for this device.

Agree, to the many possible considerations (including the nudging of developers and even users in a certain direction) I would also add another: setting the expectations for the base capacity of future models. With Apple some specs go up only, they can't be rolled back. No Apple exec would be happy to stand on the stage of the Vision Pro 2 or Vision "Air" announcement and say "...and now it comes with half the storage!". 

Before the announcement sometimes I found myself thinking this first headset would get a "pass" because it's a special "event" (the birth of a new platform, when all the possible help to get it going is needed) and get 512GB or even 1TB on all models. But that's not how it works. The actual "free pass" Apple is giving to this first model is including everything but the kitchen sink in the box. (some of you may remember this was also the case for the og iPhone, with docks and stuff)

On 1/8/2024 at 11:17 AM, filpo said:

then again I assumed they would've put 512gb of storage on it even if you weren't gonna use a lot of it

My guess is they have a cheap price for 128GB NAND chips from iPhones, since the base spec storage for those is 128GB. Just toss two in the Vision Pro and call it a day.

elephants

1 minute ago, WhitetailAni said:

My guess is they have a cheap price for 128GB NAND chips from iPhones, since the base spec storage for those is 128GB. Just toss two in the Vision Pro and call it a day.

They could also toss in four and call it a day. 

512/4=128

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

5 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

They could also toss in four and call it a day. 

512/4=128

Probably not 4 chip sockets in there tho 😄

Can’t wait to see a teardown and analysis of the bent PCB..

5 minutes ago, saltycaramel said:

Can’t wait to see a teardown and analysis of the bent PCB..

That's going to be painful to watch, I just know it won't go back together as well so basically ruining a $3500 device that there will be limited supply of 😱

But yes it will be very interesting.

On 1/10/2024 at 8:03 PM, leadeater said:

That's going to be painful to watch, I just know it won't go back together as well so basically ruining a $3500 device that there will be limited supply of 😱

But yes it will be very interesting.

Given Apples recent track history, I have my hopes up that it can be disassembled and put together non-destructively. Just with the new construction strategy of recent iphones, it would also make sense for Apple themselves when  they have to service these devices under warranty. Part cost is hopefully high enough to make throwing them away uneconomically, even for them.

2 hours ago, Dracarris said:

Given Apples recent track history, I have my hopes up that it can be disassembled and put together non-destructively.

I don't mean it'll be destructive but when you open things that are as seal as the Vison Pro will be they just don't quite go back as nicely. Like when you open a laptop that uses clips to hold the back on, not just screws, and even though you cause no damage or marks you get slight gaps not infrequently, stuff like that. You can just tell it's been opened, for a $3500 item that will decrease the value of it, aside from the fact it's probably going to be impossible to get them and people will pay literally anything to get one i.e. PS5 at release.