Is my AIO missing a CPU Fan header?

Logun
Go to solution Solved by Godlygamer23,
7 minutes ago, Logun said:

I’ve got bad eyes but from what I can see nothing looks cut off - unless the shrink wrap is over top of it

I'm not sure why it's not there. But it's only there to prevent the motherboard from complaining(that alert can be disabled), and to provide RPM feedback. The pump does not get power from the header.

I jumped on the deal for the iCUE H170i ELITE LCD Display 420mm AIO a few weeks ago. It was refurbished but I decided to get the warranty with it just in case to cover my bases. I'm installing it and its turned into a cluster f.

I am installing this on a 7800X3d and an ROG STRIX B650-A Gaming motherboard

1) instructions say to remove the plastic mounting bracket. Well the mounting bracket is metal and attached with special screw heads that I can't get off. I assume the instructions are referencing AM4 ? Its very hard to tell

2) I assumed to keep the mounting bracket in place (that's the lever to hold the CPU in place right?) And now I've screwed down the pump and heatsink. I go to plug it in but there are only 2 cables off the pump - one for the icUE commander core and a USB header. That's all - no 3pin fan header?

I've tried google-fu'ing it but it's not giving me exactly what I need unfortunately. Am I missing a fan header connector off my pump head? Did I royally screw this up??

image.jpeg

Those are the only cables that come off the pump. The Commander Core is meant to be used with that. I assume the pump is going to get power from the Commander Core itself through that connector. The USB header cable will probably be used to control it.

Does it look like it's missing anything coming from the assembly? If not, that's probably how it's supposed to be.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I appreciate you trying I really need to know for sure. All the vids do say attach to the cpu fan header but of course it’s not specific to my exact model.

1 minute ago, Logun said:

I appreciate you trying I really need to know for sure. All the vids do say attach to the cpu fan header but of course it’s not specific to my exact model.

That should be the Commander Core that attaches to the CPU fan header.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

This is from the manual

• Connect pump tach cable to the CPU_FAN header on your motherboard (Figure 2).

9 minutes ago, Logun said:

This is from the manual

• Connect pump tach cable to the CPU_FAN header on your motherboard (Figure 2).

There's nothing coming from the Commander Core itself?

@Logun
I watched a video of this cooler, and it looks like there is a 3-pin connector that comes off the pump itself. So you should have a total of 3 cables coming from it - does it look like anything was cut from the cables at all?

Edited by Godlygamer23

Here’s what I’ve gone ahead and done

1) usb from pump to usb header

2) commander cable from pump to commander core

3) usb from commander core to usb header

4) data power from core to PSU

Does that sound about right to you?

I also don’t know what this last cable is for? USB header to two… what?

IMG_9901.jpeg

IMG_9902.jpeg

Just now, Logun said:

Here’s what I’ve gone ahead and done

1) usb from pump to usb header

2) commander cable from pump to commander core

3) usb from commander core to usb header

4) data power from core to PSU

Does that sound about right to you?

I also don’t know what this last cable is for? USB header to two… what?

The last cable is a USB header splitter. I'm presuming it's so you can attach another device to the header, alongside the pump instead of the pump fully consuming the entire header on its own.

What connectors come off the pump? Does it look like anything was cut off or cut back?

Nothing looks cut or cut back off the pump. Just the core cable and the usb header cable come off the pump 

but I did buy it refurbished so who knows if something was super missing off it 

5 minutes ago, Logun said:

Nothing looks cut or cut back off the pump. Just the core cable and the usb header cable come off the pump 

but I did buy it refurbished so who knows if something was super missing off it 

The header splitter is for the Commander Core and pump - they will both occupy one header.

Can you send photos of the included connectors, ensuring that they are all being pulled off the pump assembly, and none are being left behind? I'm fairly certain it is only there to provide RPMs, as well as telling the motherboard the CPU has a cooler mounted to it. The cable that I'm seeing is pretty short.

Edited by Godlygamer23

This is the connectors from the pump, and then the core and what’s attached and the one extra cable right behind it (that’s the previous cable I was asking about)

IMG_9904.jpeg

IMG_9903.jpeg

1 minute ago, Logun said:

This is the connectors from the pump, and then the core and what’s attached and the one extra cable right behind it (that’s the previous cable I was asking about)

The 3-pin cable is completely separate from the 24-pin and USB header cables, and directly next to them. You are sure NOTHING is there, even wires that look like they were severed?

Here is a screenshot from the video:

Spoiler

Capture.PNG.2cf869265f8651ca83a0a1d9018d2977.PNG

I’ve got bad eyes but from what I can see nothing looks cut off - unless the shrink wrap is over top of it

edit also all the cables attached are fairly long

IMG_9908.jpeg

IMG_9907.jpeg

IMG_9906.jpeg

IMG_9905.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Logun said:

I'm not sure why it's not there. But it's only there to prevent the motherboard from complaining(that alert can be disabled), and to provide RPM feedback. The pump does not get power from the header.

I’ll finish setting it up without that and see what happens.

thank you very much for taking the time to help me out. I owe you a beer

WE have lift off!!

Had to go into the BIOS to set it to ignore the CPU fan lower limit as nothing is plugged into that header. Temps with the new AIO are 20 degrees C cooler than before. 

I can't thank you enough for your help!!!!

13 minutes ago, Logun said:

WE have lift off!!

Had to go into the BIOS to set it to ignore the CPU fan lower limit as nothing is plugged into that header. Temps with the new AIO are 20 degrees C cooler than before. 

I can't thank you enough for your help!!!!

Awesome!