EdgeRouter & Supermicro SFP Issue

alex75871

I am attempting to connect my Supermicro Server directly to my EdgeRouter 4 using SFP, but I cannot get the two to communicate. I am using a Supermicro AOC-STGN-I2S dual 10 Gbit SFP+ card, which is on the validated add-in list for my motherboard, and I am using a Ubiquiti UACC-DAC-SFP10-1M cable between my EdgeRouter and Server, which is on the compatibility list for the EdgeRouter. Please see the attached screenshots for hardware and configuration details. Any help would be much appreciated.

device-manager.png

interfaces.png

network-connections.png

server.png

edgerouter.png

14 hours ago, alex75871 said:

…and I am using a Ubiquiti UACC-DAC-SFP10-1M cable between my EdgeRouter and Server, which is on the compatibility list for the EdgeRouter.

While that Ubiquiti DAC is on the ER compatibility list, the ER-4 only has an SFP port, which means it is limited at 1Gbps. That list implies that you are aware of the different EdgeRouters and their SFP/SFP+ speeds.

As far as I’m aware [and someone correct me if this information is outdated], SFP+ modules shouldn’t normally work on SFP ports, but SFP modules can work on SFP+ ports. There might be some cables out there that don’t obey this rule, but then again, their modules likely have better compatibility. The Mikrotik S+DA0001 is an example.

1 minute ago, Falcon1986 said:

While that Ubiquiti DAC is on the ER compatibility list, the ER-4 only has an SFP port, which means it is limited at 1Gbps. That list implies that you are aware of the different EdgeRouters and their SFP/SFP+ speeds.

As far as I’m aware [and someone correct me if this information is outdated], SFP+ modules cannot work on SFP ports, but SFP modules can work on SFP+ ports.

Correct, most optics, and especially DAC/AOC cables are single rate only

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

This is my first time attempting to use SFP. It seems like I've missed the mark. If DAC cables are single rate, is it possible to connect my SFP+ card to my EdgeRouter?

5 hours ago, alex75871 said:

...is it possible to connect my SFP+ card to my EdgeRouter?

Use compatible SFP/1Gbps transceivers.