Red header on GPU's

I had a PNY 4070 ti oc. I now have a PNY 4080 oc. Wish I had known supers were going to come out but that's beside the point. Both of them have an unpopulated, I think 3 pin, red header on them. I've seen them on other brands as well. I reached out to PNY and they would only say that it was something to do with rgb. Then something to the effect of we CAN'T tell you any more than that. What is it for and why the big secret? I spent well over an hour looking before reaching out to PNY and even more after to no avail. Someone here has to know. 

3 minutes ago, dverdier said:

I spent well over an hour looking

I just spent 4 minutes looking for an techpowerup review for close up photos and PCB photos. Its just another ARGB header.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/pny-geforce-rtx-4080-verto-epic-x-rgb-oc/3.html

Spoiler

image.jpeg.05bf9ea47a0702e2690e9bfaab3942ff.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.764bfbc8af650bac5f4e03e517402418.jpeg

CN1 and CN2, probably stands for channel 1 and channel 2.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

3 minutes ago, Levent said:

I just spent 4 minutes looking for an techpowerup review for close up photos and PCB photos. Its just another ARGB header.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/pny-geforce-rtx-4080-verto-epic-x-rgb-oc/3.html

Reveal hidden contents

image.jpeg.05bf9ea47a0702e2690e9bfaab3942ff.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.764bfbc8af650bac5f4e03e517402418.jpeg

CN1 and CN2, probably stands for channel 1 and channel 2.

I've had them apart before. I want to say the red one says cn3. I might be wrong. It's been a while. That link doesn't show the pcb for some reason. I've seen this before though. It doesn't say anything about any of those headers. You act like you found the answer in 4 mins but you supply me with probably. If that's all it is I don't think PNY would not disclose that information. It has to be something different. than the ones that actually go to the rgb.

Just now, dverdier said:

I've had them apart before. I want to say the red one says cn3. I might be wrong. It's been a while. That link doesn't show the pcb for some reason. I've seen this before though. It doesn't say anything about any of those headers. You act like you found the answer in 4 mins but you supply me with probably. If that's all it is I don't think PNY would not disclose that information. It has to be something different. than the ones that actually go to the rgb.

A random helpdesk personnel hardly would know anything about the card let alone would look at the PCB to help you, just a quick search in the company knowledgebase and if there is an answer there you get that if not, you get BS like in your case. Link I sent is the review, spoiler in my post has the images. Its most likely an ARGB or a fan header because they are next to each other. Anything other than that (like some factory programming point), it simply wouldnt have a header and it wouldnt be right next to other header.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 hour ago, dverdier said:

You act like you found the answer in 4 mins but you supply me with probably.

They said 'probably' in regards to what the reference designators stand for, which seems reasonable. 

What is currently plugged into the black header above the red one? If it's ARGB, it might just be a duplicate connection type on a different channel.

Edited by Godlygamer23

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1 hour ago, Godlygamer23 said:

They said 'probably' in regards to what the reference designators stand for, which seems reasonable. 

What is currently plugged into the black header above the red one? If it's ARGB, it might just be a duplicate connection type on a different channel.

If that's all it is, I don't see the need for all the secrecy. I've been wanting to plug the rgb wires in it but I'm afraid to f something up. It is cn3 too. I have to also wonder why there's no cn2.

Would this connector control RGB for games for an extra effect? 

8 hours ago, BillBill said:

Would this connector control RGB for games for an extra effect? 

That would be neat but again, if that was it, I don't see why pny wouldn't be able to say that. It seems I'll never know what that does exactly. Thank all of you for chiming in. I appr your time.