Norwegian consumer law makes all new electronics sold, required to have 5 years of software and app support

LordFlipFlap

It would be much better, if the law would say that the manufacturers are required to open their phones for alternative OS when they stop the support and open source theirs, so other people can continue to support them as long as they want.

But the part with the spare parts and repairs is really good.

I, for example, haven`t used the OS, the phone came with, in many years. So i don`t care for the support of the manufacturer.

Its one way to stop small to medium companies and home programmers to stop selling in Norway I guess.

Governments this century are obsessed in only letting the big boys play in the markets.

4 hours ago, silenttwalker said:

Its one way to stop small to medium companies and home programmers to stop selling in Norway I guess.

Governments this century are obsessed in only letting the big boys play in the markets.

Why would a small company not support their products for at least five years? The companies i know of, that support their products for decades are the pretty small ones while the big ones forget after a couple of years that they even ever prodced something. But ok, most of that support is not software.

On 1/17/2024 at 2:08 AM, Heats with Nvidia said:

Why would a small company not support their products for at least five years? The companies i know of, that support their products for decades are the pretty small ones while the big ones forget after a couple of years that they even ever prodced something. But ok, most of that support is not software.

how about a change of the economic environment bankrupts you?

On 1/17/2024 at 9:56 AM, Senzelian said:

Not sure if this has been said, but Norway is not part of the EU!

Norway is only part of the EEA (European Economic Area)

isn't this you have to follow the rules but aren't allowed to vote on them?

38 minutes ago, silenttwalker said:

how about a change of the economic environment bankrupts you?

Then this law isn`t your problem anymore. A company that doesn`t exist anymore can`t be sued for not supporting the products it made.

3 hours ago, Heats with Nvidia said:

Then this law isn`t your problem anymore. A company that doesn`t exist anymore can`t be sued for not supporting the products it made.

The point is about the consumers who bought the products being left in the dust. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 hours ago, Kilrah said:

The point is about the consumers who bought the products being left in the dust. 

This is correct and it mostly affects bigger companys, that won`t go out of business every couple of years.

By the way, i would love if this law said that every company has to open source the specifications and firmware when they can`t or won`t support it anymore, so other people can take over.

On 1/16/2024 at 10:17 PM, silenttwalker said:

easy way around this: dont make your product have an internet connection... i for one don't want my appliances have "updates" and i don't understand the obsession with them (security is only a very thin argument, my washing machine etc doesn't need "security"... that doesn't convince me at all, i think there are other much more sinister reasons for most "updates" instead...)

so yeah, IF you offer a product that can be updated you should still support it for - some time - personally just give me option to turn updates off and we good tho. 🙂

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

11 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

easy way around this: dont make your product have an internet connection... i for one don't want my appliances have "updates" and i don't understand the obsession with them (security is only a very thin argument, my washing machine etc doesn't need "security"... that doesn't convince me at all, i think there are other much more sinister reasons for most "updates" instead...)

so yeah, IF you offer a product that can be updated you should still support it for - some time - personally just give me option to turn updates off and we good tho. 🙂

There are a lot of products that can`t connect to the internet, but occasionally get feature upgrades with a new firmware. But its not required and that is also a very nice solution.

I'm sorry, the functionality update is only available on our subscription+ ultra pro plan, you currently have the free plan which only allows security updates.