Corsair Cable Compatibility

Go to solution Solved by seon123,

All RMx PSUs, regardless of wattage or version (other than the RMx Shift) use the same cables, Type 4. The only difference between Type 3 and Type 4 is that the 24 pin connector has 4 extra pins on Type 4 cables (but is still otherwise compatible if you jam in a Type 3 cable into a Type 4 PSU). So the RMx can use Type 3 and Type 4 cables, but the 24 pin is Type 4.

I have read numerous posts and watched a couple videos and tried to understand this funny chart. But I just don't get it. There is no source/destination PSU and they put a red dot(meaning type 3) into a row that says type 3 already. So it's either redundant or I don't know what I'm talking about. It also shows type 3 and type 4 under a single column, meaning a single line of PSU's can use both?

https://www.corsair.com/ca/en/s/legacy-psu-cable-compatibility

Can I get a real explanation on how this thing works?

I have an RM550x and want to upgrade to an RM750x or RM850x. I should be fine (I think), but I'd love to just know how to read this chart.

Thanks!

PXL_20240103_220613399.jpg

All RMx PSUs, regardless of wattage or version (other than the RMx Shift) use the same cables, Type 4. The only difference between Type 3 and Type 4 is that the 24 pin connector has 4 extra pins on Type 4 cables (but is still otherwise compatible if you jam in a Type 3 cable into a Type 4 PSU). So the RMx can use Type 3 and Type 4 cables, but the 24 pin is Type 4.

:)

2 hours ago, seon123 said:

Thanks for the explanation.

According to the chart then, RM2019, RMi, and RMx are all compatible? They have the same dots of the same colour in all the same spots. The colours make things confusing, because I feel like they could all just be checkmates in this case.

Is that correct?

13 hours ago, kickingaustin said:

According to the chart then, RM2019, RMi, and RMx are all compatible? They have the same dots of the same colour in all the same spots. The colours make things confusing, because I feel like they could all just be checkmates in this case.

Is that correct?

Yes, that all sounds correct. 

:)

21 hours ago, kickingaustin said:

Is that correct?

You do know when you buy a psu it comes with its own cables right? 

CPU : Ryzen 7 7800X3D @ -18mv all core except -13mv on Core 5 because its a pig.

CPU Cooler : Deepcool AK620 Zero Dark

Mobo : MSI B650M-A Wifi MATX

Ram : 32GB (2X16GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000MHZ CL34

GPU : Reference Design RX7900XT sold by Saphire running at 1050MV undervolt and +15% PL (355w)

Storage : 1TB WD SN770 + 2TB Samsung 970 Evo

PSU : Corsair HX750w Platinum

Case : Asus Prime AP201 All Mesh MATX

Case Fans : Arctic p12's everywhere i can fit them in , 7 In total.

Monitor : LG 27GP850-B.BEK 1440p Nano IPS 180Hz

Keyboard : HyperX Alloy Core RGB

Mouse : Corsair M65 Elite RGB

Headset : Corsair HS35 Gaming Headset

1 hour ago, Bagzie said:

You do know when you buy a psu it comes with its own cables right? 

I do, but it's an ITX motherboard with a big cooler and I don't want to remove the huge cooler and repaste the cpu and re-manage all the cables if I don't have to. I just rebuilt my PC a few months ago and didn't want to do it again. That's all.