Mass Security Detections on UXG-Lite and Nginx?

ZeusXI

I have a UGX-Light from Ubiquiti, and I have a server running unraid behind it. I do have Nginx running in a docker which allows me to use overseer externally and the plex users I have (only like 3 family members).

So I was playing around with just looking around, and I noticed that there is a "Security Detections" tab. So I clicked it out of curiosity and I am seeing all of these detections to my unraid server to the ports that I have allocated to my Nginx docker. Thats how I found out what app was being hit. 

Now all of these are coming from the US, Netherlands, Russia, etc. I have the Overseer going through a VPN, so not sure what is going on here. 

Can you please help me troubleshoot and figure out how to reduce how many connections are trying to get to my Nginx docker?

if you have a web server running on a common port accessible from your public IP (80, 443, and probably some alt ports too, by now) it's sort of 'normal' to see a handful of crawlers per day poking those ports on every IP in the IPv4 range.

What type of connections are you talking about specifically? If you have a web server on the internet, bots trying to break into it is completely normal. Mine has a ton of log messages from people trying to access e.g. phpmyadmin (which isn't installed, but they can't know that, so they try anyway)

You can try to mitigate by using tools like fail2ban, which works by parsing log messages and then blocks IPs on the firewall if e.g. they attempt to sign in unsuccessfully a certain number of times.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

If you have ports that are open, bots are going to be poking at them 24/7/365. 

I used to expose SSH on port 22, I’d have hundreds of failed SSH attempts a day, mostly bits trying credentials like admin, root, pi, user, etc. I use RSA keys exclusively, but that doesn’t stop bots from poking… fail2ban does stop them tho 🙂

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air