Best budget android phone?

Ive been using the iPhone 13 since it came out, and that has been my daily driver ever since (before that were a few android phones). However, looking at videos of androids, it makes me want to switch back. Does anyone know a good solid budget android phone that I could pick up new or used, to replace my iPhone?

Poco F5 is pretty solid price / performance wise if you can tolerate the bloatware.

Samsung A54 is decent.

Motorola has some very decent price / quality options.

I you go used I'd look for a Galaxy S21 / S22. Many people upgrade their flagship after 1 or 2 years and sell their old one for a good price.

Strictly monetary value, the Chinese are probably best, Your Huawei's and Xiomi's. However coming from Apple you'll likely have a preference for solid software in which Google takes 1st place, then between Samsung and Nothing. All have cheap midrange phones that are all build still well.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

where are you located by chance? region can change the options available.

and what price range are you looking around?

As an owner of an S21 myself, I can highly recommend it still. Samsung is in the process of pushing Android 14 to it right now even, so it's still got a few years of support left in it.

I recommend it because referbs go for around $250 right now on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-S21-5G-Version/dp/B08VLMQ3KS/

flagship specs and features at a reasonable price

Hey so for people wondering I live in North America and I’ll spend up to 250 but extra credit if you can do under 200 🙂

@Max853lolz If you want used, I very strongly recommend a Sony Xperia device.  They have directly allowed and slightly encouraged by Sony, unlocked bootloaders, or rather, unlockable, with Sony's instructions for each device.

I would also like to highlight fairphone 3, 4, and 5.  If you want a simple device without a fancy camera, look for used fairphone 3.  I am not sure if they are compatible with NA cellular bands, but the 4 and 5 definitely are.  If you want an excellent camera, the 5 is a great option.  I'd get a protective case since it may not be water-resistant.

Both sony xperia and fairphone allow projects like LineageOS which allows updates after official support has finished.  This allows you to save money by not needing a new device to upgrade the software.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

1 hour ago, E-waste said:

@Max853lolz If you want used, I very strongly recommend a Sony Xperia device.  They have directly allowed and slightly encouraged by Sony, unlocked bootloaders, or rather, unlockable, with Sony's instructions for each device.

I would also like to highlight fairphone 3, 4, and 5.  If you want a simple device without a fancy camera, look for used fairphone 3.  I am not sure if they are compatible with NA cellular bands, but the 4 and 5 definitely are.  If you want an excellent camera, the 5 is a great option.  I'd get a protective case since it may not be water-resistant.

Both sony xperia and fairphone allow projects like LineageOS which allows updates after official support has finished.  This allows you to save money by not needing a new device to upgrade the software.

Is a Sony Xperia X Compact a good choice?

7 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

You can pretty routinely find the OnePlus Nord N30 for $200-$250, and it's a pretty decent phone. 

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about this one. I'd pick this for your budget as well. Solid phone, great specs, reputable brand, 5G, looks great. Last I saw it was on sale for $249 too.

In a previous thread I said that I wanted a new budget android. Somebody recommend a used Sony Xperia device because I can install lineage OS. Just wondering which one I should buy? I’m fine with buying used and I’m trying to have it cost under 150 with a max of 200! Thank you all! 🙂

28 minutes ago, Max853lolz said:

In a previous thread I said that I wanted a new budget android. Somebody recommend a used Sony Xperia device because I can install lineage OS. Just wondering which one I should buy? I’m fine with buying used and I’m trying to have it cost under 150 with a max of 200! Thank you all! 🙂

What is this magical currency you don’t even mention of? Where do you live? 

Since you didn’t post the most crucial information, check supported devices in LineageOS, find the ones you can find in your price bracket. Watch reviews or read them and you will have your answer.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

2 hours ago, Levent said:

What is this magical currency you don’t even mention of? Where do you live? 

Since you didn’t post the most crucial information, check supported devices in LineageOS, find the ones you can find in your price bracket. Watch reviews or read them and you will have your answer.

Sorry lmao, USD and I’m located in North America!

On 1/2/2024 at 3:33 PM, Max853lolz said:

Is a Sony Xperia X Compact a good choice?

I don't really know much about the various models specifically.  I just know the bootloaders are unlockable, so you can avoid buying a new device to stay on an updated system.  I also know they have sd card slots.

I'm sure they do all the usual stuff, and it's a sony device so their camera expertise, and exceptional DAC chip.

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

@Max853lolz I would suggest any depending on the screen size that you want.  The screens are not very bright for the Z and X devices, but the ones with large screens have OLED, most of them, so they will be brighter in direct sunlight.  The Z and X devices output about 550 nits at full brightness, for comparison, a samsung galaxy s8 can do 800+ nits, might be 850, and an old 3.5" screen blackberry can do 900 nits.

Software suggestions

On 1/3/2024 at 1:32 AM, Max853lolz said:

What year is it fine to be from?

-= Merged =-

Do not repost a topic, even if your question changes it is still the same topic.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

The best budget phones are always older flagships. Look at whichever one interests you the most and then buy it. Phones with a Snapdragon 855 can be had for as little as $100. You will need to unlock the bootloader and install LineageOS on it.

The following brands are ones that do not support unlocking the bootloader, that I know of (please post any additional ones I did not know about):

Samsung, in North America

Motorola (I was wrong, apparently they do support bootloader unlock)

Asus (supposedly they did, but they played a bait and switch on us)

Any device bought from Verizon, except for HTC devices (if you use Verizon, bring your own device)

LG

Hauwei

vivo

Nokia

Infinix

TCL

Oppo (may cause issues for OnePlus devices in the future)

And of course, Apple

Do not buy the ones that permalocks the bootloader unless you have secret internal software to unlock it yourself.

If you don't like to root and boot then I'd suggest a Google Pixel. The "a" versions are their mid range budgetish versions. They are a pretty solid phone all around, although $500 for a new phone still seems way too expensive to me.

Me: I once got an LG G3 for $20 and put LineageOS on it and used it until the motherboard fried itself.

I'm genuinely concerned that you might just have a poor user experience at a $150-$200 USD budget.

Is there any flex in that at all? Maybe if you wait a bit longer? Or no?

Something like a Pixel 6a is going to give you an excellent experience. As I mentioned earlier the Nord N30 5G is as well. It's a bit low when it comes to purchasing an older flagship - only in the sense that you'd be talking much older - you might not be into that.

On 1/2/2024 at 9:13 AM, OhioYJ said:

You can pretty routinely find the OnePlus Nord N30 for $200-$250, and it's a pretty decent phone. 

i second this.   also the OnePlus n20 is a good choice.   its a budget phone with an amoled screen.  also  the n20 can be bootloader unlocked and rooted easily.

Unless you specifically want something new, plenty of flagship phones from a few years ago only go for around 200 to $400. You can pick up a Oneplus 9 Pro on eBay for around 250 to $300, or If you want to go the Samsung route, maybe a Galaxy Note 10 Plus?