A new computer for 2024 and beyond

dlf

Budget (including currency):  $800 USD should probably be a baseline.

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for:  Diablo 1/2/3, Warcraft 2/3.  Stardew (Modded, with SVE if I can get it working), Bloodstained, grim dawn, various Sony games releases on Steam.  https://steamcommunity.com/id/DlfC/games/  If you want to see what I've played and or my wishlist. Also GOG. If possible, I'd like to try to pass a GPU through to a Virtual Machine to use Windows for some easier games (that wouldn't run through linux or are just cumbersome).

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

- Existing Parts

-- I have a CORSAIR RM750X FM 80+G ATX 2021 for power supply

-- A 2070 Super (although assuming 8 GB of VRAM ain't enough, I might get something newer)

-  Already use: Currently a steam deck

- When I'm going to buy/build - Next few months, I'd hope (shouldn't rely on the deck forever). Would like to move the deck between two monitors and have a HDMI (and/or) a display port splitter between my switch my deck and computer to use one monitor for any of the three systems.

- Resolution - Right now 1440p, eventually buy a new 4k monitor, would like to try 120 - 144 (or 160) hz refresh rate).

- Other uses - I'd like eventually rip my blu-rays onto a home theater PC (disc rot would likely eventually make the discs unreable).

- At least 16 (or 32) GB ddr4 (or 5) should probably be a baseline.

Also, random Q: What can I do about GPU sag? What could I put under(neath) the GPU to keep it from sagging and having so much weight on the PCIe slot?

Ask again the week you are buying. No point in us tell you what to buy now since prices change daily.

41 minutes ago, dlf said:

A 2070 Super (although assuming 8 GB of VRAM ain't enough, I might get something newer)

for all the games you currently play it is more than enough

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti