Adding disk shelf to TrueNAS Core DIY server

I currently have a DIY NAS that I will in the next few months run out of space on. I currently have 16x16tb with 4 parity drives. I run TrueNAS Core and have my pool setup made of 2 vdev in RAIDz2 config. 

My current hardware is not ideal for TrueNAS Core but have made it work, and do not want to swap to a different Motherboard, CPU combo at this time. 

Motherboard - Asus Z490M-Plus

CPU - Intel i3 10100

RAM - 64GB (4*16GB) - Not sure what it is anymore

NIC - Intel 82580 1.25GB

HBA - LSI 9201-16i - IT Mode

PSU - Seasonic GX-850

Case - Fractal Design Define 7 XL

HDD - 16x16TB (mostly Exos x16 and x18 drives)

My plan is to use my old Node 804 as a disk shelf for the time being until I find a more suitable case. It has a Seasonic GX-550 inside or it. My plan was to purchase 2 SAS expanders, one for the main server and then another for the disk shelf. The SAS expander I was looking at was "Lenovo 16-Port 6Gbps SAS-2 SATA Expansion Adapter 03X3834". I would need to use a riser adapter, and planned on connecting it with Molex in the Node case, and then using the PCI-e x1 slot or molex for the main server. I would get some 8087 to 8088 adapters and associated cables. To control the disk shelf I was thinking I would get a JBOD controller "Supermicro CSE-PTJBOD-CB2 JBOD controller board". I will be adding the disk shelf drives to the main pool as well. 

Disk Shelf parts:

Node 804

PSU - Seasonic GX-550

SAS Expander - Lenovo 16-Port 6Gbps SAS-2 SATA Expansion Adapter 03X3834 (one for each)

JBOD Controller - Supermicro CSE-PTJBOD-CB2 JBOD controller board

HDD - Various 8TB drives I have x8

PCI-e riser to power SAS expander.

8087 to 8088 adapter and various cables.

Will this work, am I missing something?

I have looked at the How-to-guide to build a disk shelf. I just want to make sure what I intend will work, or if their are better options.

That should wok fine here, just make sure you have a way of powering the sas expander.

I'd be darn tempted at this point to just get a 45/60 bay top loading 4u server. Should be able to make it pretty quiet with fan mods, and smaller than this config.

I decided to change to " Intel RES2SV240 SAS-2 Expander 24-Port 6Gbps Expansion Adapter". It has a molex power connection on it. I think that will be easier to make work than with a riser and all that. 

I will look at 45/60 bay server, but every time I look the costs are prohibitive on ebay. I live near Toronto though, so I imagine their must be some resellers around there.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got all of the parts for my disk shelf, and well it was pretty straight forward. SAS Expander in both machines. 8088-8087 adapter card in both machines. Cables to connect everything, and power the SAS expanders. Powered everything up, and all of the disks were seen by the machine. Created a new vdev of 8 disks to the pool. 

Next task is adding a 10gbe NIC. That is sitting in the mail and will hopefully be here in the next few weeks.