bad adhesion, any idea how to fix the issue?

Go to solution Solved by 12345678,
2 hours ago, WannaBeTechGuy said:

This us the STL test, I stopped it at 20% because it started taking print of the bed.

How can I improve that?

I also tried the bottom side the adhesion was way worse. It didn't stick at all

20240102_165708.jpg

Tldr to me it seems a leveling issue

Another cause may be a bad filament but in this case it's unlikely

To improve stickness in general use pva glue

If you want something that just works out of the box get a bambulab, or any ~1k printer

I haven't really followed the market so much, but almost every cheap printer was an hit and miss, it requires some work in your hand and endless troubleshooting, you basically pay just for the hardware 

CQ CQ,

Happy New Year you all,

First, let's click F for the dying Reddit (or so I feel it is dying)

Second, I don't know if the LLT forum is the right place for this but I saw a similar post here so I want to try my luck. if someone thinks there is a better place to ask these questions please let me know. 

now to the main issue:

I got my first 3d printer (Neptune 3 Pro) some weeks ago, and I have been facing an adhesion issue. material: PLA, the print: test-buddha-design that came on the SD card of the printer

things I tried to fix it:

* PLA settings of the printer: 200C / 60C (print tip temperature / bed's temperature) --> print came off after the first few layers (4% of the print)

* 220C / 70C --> came off after 10% of the print

*240C / 90C --> didn't even stick

*220C / 70C with 75% of the writing speed --> printed 14% of the print            (don't ask me about the unit of speed it is not indicated, it reminds me of a plasma machine in my lab from 1900 with the power of the plasma is indicated as a percentage, aaaanywaaay...)

*tried placing a layer of glue on the bed (glue name: ELEGCO build platform glue stick) that came with the printer and that went miserably, i did place a thick layer so that might be it --> didn't connect to the bed at all

*220C / 73C with 65% writing speed and 95% flow speed (I think this refers to the PLA flow out of the tip) + tightened the grip of the filament feeder--> did 65% of the print then it came off    (but it too slow it took two hours)

also in my last attempt, there was a lot of "deformed" stitching of a sort see the zoomed-in pic. 

I'm thinking about tinkering with the tightness of the rolls and belt but I'm reluctant. any Idea how to fix this?

20240101_132250.jpg

20240101_132348.jpg

200/60 should be fine, we never really see the bottom of the part right but from the 2nd pic it just seems the nozzle's starting height is way too high, check your leveling/offset.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

3 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

200/60 should be fine, we never really see the bottom of the part right but from the 2nd pic it just seems the nozzle's starting height is way too high, check your leveling/offset.

I read it would help to increase the temperature if the room is relatively cold, I don't have a thermometer but I would say the room temperature is about 20 degrees. That is why I tried increasing the temperature 

No I don't show the bottom part would that help the diagnosis? 

I how can you tell the nozzle is too high from the second picture? Is it the dip in the middle of it or something else?

Can see the lines on the bottom are not fused together

image.jpeg.9f48d2e8c2218e442dc8c76ceef8d64b.jpeg

image.jpeg.17f995ba42151c8a776d2933b41e8cfe.jpeg

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

9 hours ago, Kilrah said:

have been trying to adjust the height, but it did not help with the adhesion issue.

btw, do I need to clean the bed after every print?

the line it does before it starts to print is very well connected to the bed, it even cut me while trying to take it out once, but the print itself comes off and gets stuck to the tip. it is so frustrating. people make it look so easy but I don't see what I can tweak to fix this.

1. Clean the bed with IPA or give it a rinse with soap water.

16 hours ago, WannaBeTechGuy said:

btw, do I need to clean the bed after every print?

Once it works: No.

It need to be cleaned if it sits IDLE for a few days or once issues start.

2. Is your print surface also textured on the other side? If not try this surface.  If it is also textures you might want to go back to the old school blue painters tape.

Textures surfaces can be tricky to level or requiring additional flow (extrusion percentage or so).

3. If your printer doesn't has a first layer test build in download this STL and print it: https://www.printables.com/model/634499-first-layer

Post a picture of the result.

4. What is your first layer height?

People never go out of business.

19 minutes ago, FlyingPotato_is_taken said:

2. Is your print surface also textured on the other side? If not try this surface.  If it is also textures you might want to go back to the old school blue painters tape.

no it is not textured on the bottom side it has fine glossy metallic texture unlike the top one. 

I will try printing on it next.

Textures surfaces can be tricky to level or requiring additional flow (extrusion percentage or so).

explains why the cleaning line has high adhesion as is looks like more material comes out.

3. If your printer doesn't has a first layer test build in download this STL and print it: https://www.printables.com/model/634499-first-layer

will try that, too

is that the same as the line width?

if so I don't know how to control it, I thought of making it thicker but did not find a way. I'm using elegoo cura for slicing. 

but what I managed is making the total line width larger and when I ran it and that did 65% of EN3PRO_3DBenchy.

in (a) you can see how the front of the boat is starting to come off, i think that was at 15-20% of the print. (b), (c), and (d) after I turned of the printer when the boat had been totally disconnected from the bed.

I did this print at 220C/65C and 100% of the print speed for all the way through.

benchy_try5_wireWidth_1mm.png

1 hour ago, FlyingPotato_is_taken said:

1. Clean the bed with IPA or give it a rinse with soap water.

Once it works: No.

It need to be cleaned if it sits IDLE for a few days or once issues start.

This us the STL test, I stopped it at 20% because it started taking print of the bed.

How can I improve that?

20240102_165708.jpg

2 hours ago, WannaBeTechGuy said:

How can I improve that?

20240102_165708.jpg

If you want something that just works out of the box get a bambulab, or any ~1k printer

I haven't really followed the market so much, but almost every cheap printer was an hit and miss, it requires some work in your hand and endless troubleshooting, you basically pay just for the hardware 

1 hour ago, 12345678 said:

OMG, I'm sooo happy🥹🥹. I finally got my first print. Now I can actually move to the projects I had in mind when getting the printer 🥸

@12345678 thank you so very much, I'm truly thankful 🤗

would you share with me how did you know it was a leveling thing? 

It was indeed. When i used my water bubble scale, i found that there is a title which i could fix with a peace of cardboard. And it worked.

Btw, I know there is pages where people post there 3D designs. I never saved or wrote down the url of these pages, do you know any of them?

20240102_212435.jpg

• 2 months later...

I Had this same issue with this same printer twice before, but bad adhesion could be caused by a number of things.
-Insufficient temps for your specific filament

-Bad or degraded build plate, buy another

-Corrupt firmware that doesn't allow you to save bed leveling settings, this was my issue

-Bad bed leveling

-Z axis offset
-Bad filament