Where To Place PC Tower In This Cramped Space?

WarmEngine

Hey Everyone,

My studio is now part of our bedroom since we decided to make more kids so I need some help with the configuration, specifically the PC Tower.  I’ve found 3 possible locations (illustrated below).  I could easily put the tower on a small shelf behind the desk a foot or so off the floor but know that’s not ideal so guessing all 3 of these options below are better.  I would really appreciate the communities suggestions and advice!  I’m also open to anything else you may have in mind.  Mounting the PC on the wall crosses my mind too but not familiar with what mounts or shelf’s are best.

Thanks in advance.

Option #1 (Behind Monitor):  Concern here would be heat but this keeps it on the desk and the easiest to cable manage.  Just hate the cluttered look.

Option #2 (Lower Clothes Rack Shelf): I feel like here I have to position it the way it’s shown in the picture exhausting to the right towards the desk.  Then slide clothes all the way to the left when in use so it has air to take in from the front.  Hate not seeing the PC but a clean look and optimal airflow are most important.   Would flipping the case around and exhausting towards the shirts be any worse or better?

Option #3 (Top Clothes Rack Shelf):  I loved the look of this until I got it up there and realized the PSU cable didn’t reach the power outlet so that’s why you see a power strip temporarily stuck underneath.  I moved my modem and router up there and the tower so the PSU cable would reach but then realized I had an issue with the USB-C cable to the rodecaster, keyboard, and mouse.  I’m sure I could find a different cable for the mixer and then of course go wireless for keyboard and mouse to fix that issue.  Cord managing this is going to be the hardest part I would imagine.

You don't have side vents in that case, so any "issues" with option 1 would be about cleaning things or if you ever need to adjust monitor.

I would suggest option 4, floor. Only problem with this would be if you have hairy pets or clean the room very rarely. Otherwise there are no issues (I've had my case on floor or hanging under the table for over 10 years). As you are using thick carpet, you need something to prop it up. Cheap option would be couple pieces of wood or brick. Bit more expensive would be getting some mount/stand for the case. Or even make one yourself (what I did recently).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

7 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

You don't have side vents in that case, so any "issues" with option 1 would be about cleaning things or if you ever need to adjust monitor.

I would suggest option 4, floor. Only problem with this would be if you have hairy pets or clean the room very rarely. Otherwise there are no issues (I've had my case on floor or hanging under the table for over 10 years). As you are using thick carpet, you need something to prop it up. Cheap option would be couple pieces of wood or brick. Bit more expensive would be getting some mount/stand for the case. Or even make one yourself (what I did recently).

Thanks. We just have 1 tabby cat and the room is cleaned fairly regularly since it's our bedroom.  The case also has a positive airflow setup (AIO w/ 2 intake, 1 exhaust).  I assumed the floor would be worse than all 3 of the above options so honestly shocked to see that suggested.  About how high off the floor would you recommend?

1 hour ago, WarmEngine said:

Thanks. We just have 1 tabby cat and the room is cleaned fairly regularly since it's our bedroom.  The case also has a positive airflow setup (AIO w/ 2 intake, 1 exhaust). 

Thats closer to neutral since AIOs are restrictive. But as shown by LTT years ago, that doesn't matter that much. Dust will gather to places where there's nothing pushing it out.

1 hour ago, WarmEngine said:

I assumed the floor would be worse than all 3 of the above options so honestly shocked to see that suggested.  About how high off the floor would you recommend?

With the cat, I would choose behind the monitor. Cat hair will float around and travel with your clothes, so near you is not good place.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

48 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

With the cat, I would choose behind the monitor. Cat hair will float around and travel with your clothes, so near you is not good place.

Thanks. I know you mentioned it above but what wall mount options are actually worth considering?  Any particular products (shelves or actual mounts)?

2 hours ago, WarmEngine said:

Thanks. I know you mentioned it above but what wall mount options are actually worth considering?  Any particular products (shelves or actual mounts)?

I haven't ever used wall-mount. But I would go with actual shelf instead of something else. Ofc there is the DIY route, but I don't see much more worth than WOW-factor. The issue with any wall-mount is how heavy your PC is.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

15 hours ago, WarmEngine said:

Hey Everyone,

My studio is now part of our bedroom since we decided to make more kids so I need some help with the configuration, specifically the PC Tower.

Because heat rises, the best option will always be the floor for any tower unless it has vents on the bottom, but that depends what else is on the floor. If you have carpet, DO NOT put the computer on the bare carpet, especially if it has vents on the bottom for the PSU.

There is nothing particularly wrong with putting it on the desk, or on the shelf, other than accidently pulling it down , or knocking it off (especially onto a child or a pet.)

So I would suggest moving the desk 6" away from the wall, lay down a sheet of wood or hard plastic on top of the carpet and place the computer there. If you have cats, or your baby becomes a toddler and things are likely to be knocked into the computer, then reconsider the shelf but make sure the shelving is anchored into the wall studs, and place a guard rail screwed into the shelf for the computer so it doesn't slide off.

The main thing to consider is that because heat rises, sticking your computer in with clothing creates a minor but non-zero fire risk from clothing fibers getting sucked into it.

5 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

I haven't ever used wall-mount. But I would go with actual shelf instead of something else. Ofc there is the DIY route, but I don't see much more worth than WOW-factor. The issue with any wall-mount is how heavy your PC is.

Thanks again!  Your shelf idea made me think of something completely different.  I was able to move things enough to the left to fit a small bookshelf sideways next to the desk to put the PC on.  It’s not the best for aesthetics but neither were the other options so it will work for now.  Cable managing took longer than assembling the shelf.  Just need to find a longer Cat6 cable for my wired internet connection so it’s not visible but that’s all I have left.  I appreciate it!

IMG_6840.jpeg