How much space is needed between my GPU and my case

Dextter
Go to solution Solved by CommanderAlex,
8 hours ago, Dextter said:

Thank you, I currently do not have the money to buy a new case. What would you recommend then?

Would my thermals be bad enough with the 3 fan to where I would have to get a 2 fan version of the 7800xt so there would be enough space? 

If you were to play it safe, then I'd choose the PowerColor Fighter variant since it's just 303mm and have 43mm extra space between it and the front fans. 

Just on a side note, I had a NZXT Phantom 530 and an NH-D15 CPU cooler and even though they stated the max height was 183mm, my 2nd fan over the RAM slots was just touching the side panel on the case and still closed just fine. 

So, if you want to go for it, then I'd get with the PowerColor Red Devil and see how it goes with installation. 

GPU upgrade PowerColor Red Devil AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CFPSX77R?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&ref=psp_pc_a_ASTT7H7KW98CO&th=1

Case: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/D2HRsY/cooler-master-masterbox-nr400-wodd-microatx-mid-tower-case-mcb-nr400-kg5n-s00

My problem is that my case says that it supports up to a 346 mm long GPU. But the one I am looking at getting is 345 mm long. 

My current GPU is 240mm long and the one I want to upgrade to is 105mm longer or ~4.1inch longer. With that being the case it would press up against my front fan when measuring with a ruler (~.5inch gap between ruler and fan). 

Would I run into any problems with ventilation if my GPU is touching the front of my case? Would it even fit?

I like the look of the card so it would be nice if I could make it work but I do not heart set on it. If it does not work I would probably go with a PowerColor Fighter AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT (303mm long) instead. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CJGP4P4V?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&ref=psp_pc_a_ASTT7H7KW98CO&th=1

PXL_20231215_174957129.thumb.jpg.d29aab6aed00b3f3e3d60c1217daf0d3.jpg

17 minutes ago, Dextter said:

My problem is that my case says that it supports up to a 346 mm long GPU. But the one I am looking at getting is 345 mm long. 

My current GPU is 240mm long and the one I want to upgrade to is 105mm longer or ~4.1inch longer. With that being the case it would press up against my front fan when measuring with a ruler (~.5inch gap between ruler and fan). 

Would I run into any problems with ventilation if my GPU is touching the front of my case? Would it even fit?

The thing is with long cards like that, they can effectively create a divider where fans above the card will push air towards the CPU and fans below the card push fresh air toward the graphics card. The only problem with that is the graphics card fans pulling in the air from the lower fans pushes them out the sides(not a blower style cooler) between it and the side panel of the case towards the upper section where the CPU is. 

Personally, I'd be buying a new case if the graphics card I'm getting is right at the end of the maximum the case supports. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

8 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

The thing is with long cards like that, they can effectively create a divider where fans above the card will push air towards the CPU and fans below the card push fresh air toward the graphics card. The only problem with that is the graphics card fans pulling in the air from the lower fans pushes them out the sides(not a blower style cooler) between it and the side panel of the case towards the upper section where the CPU is. 

Personally, I'd be buying a new case if the graphics card I'm getting is right at the end of the maximum the case supports. 

Thank you, I currently do not have the money to buy a new case. What would you recommend then?

Would my thermals be bad enough with the 3 fan to where I would have to get a 2 fan version of the 7800xt so there would be enough space? 

8 hours ago, Dextter said:

If you were to play it safe, then I'd choose the PowerColor Fighter variant since it's just 303mm and have 43mm extra space between it and the front fans. 

Just on a side note, I had a NZXT Phantom 530 and an NH-D15 CPU cooler and even though they stated the max height was 183mm, my 2nd fan over the RAM slots was just touching the side panel on the case and still closed just fine. 

So, if you want to go for it, then I'd get with the PowerColor Red Devil and see how it goes with installation. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34"