Should I use molex to 6 pin?

Royal Chicken
Go to solution Solved by jaslion,
30 minutes ago, Royal Chicken said:

Are you saying that the 6 pins for this specific PSU carry 150w instead of the industry standard 75w? Sorry I didn't fully understand what you said.image.png.4c296d71fa6c86ff3b5b39aad73e72f3.png

Yes

Hp did it for all their z200, 400 and 600 boxes (800's depended on config).

The adapter was 95 new. Basically a way to avoid users getting too good after market gpu's and prevent them from adding more powerfull ones without paying hp tax

Also you're like the 7th person asking this question this week alone. Is there likr a sudden dump of these 😛

I have a 2014 workstation that I want to put in something like an RTX 2080 Super which needs a 8+6 pin. I already use a dual 6 pin to and 8 pin for my rx 570 right now. The PSU in the system is about 900w so is it safe to use a molex to 6 pin?

The PSU isn't the problem. The adapter is. Most of them are shittily-built. Some are so shittily-built that they can damage components or catch fire.

Honestly, thinking about it more, a 900W PSU that doesn't have enough PCI-E power connectors to handle an 8+6...what unit do you have, exactly?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

No nop nope. Those adapters are a hazard.

What workstation fo you have and why does it sound like a hp z620?

1 hour ago, aisle9 said:

The PSU isn't the problem. The adapter is. Most of them are shittily-built. Some are so shittily-built that they can damage components or catch fire.

Honestly, thinking about it more, a 900W PSU that doesn't have enough PCI-E power connectors to handle an 8+6...what unit do you have, exactly?

I have an HP z640. Very proprietary psu so I can't upgrade.

8 minutes ago, Royal Chicken said:

Is there a distribution board inside those, like Dell uses in the 2011-3 Precision workstations? If so, there's probably a PCIe power cable available that your machine is missing; you just have to find the part number.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

18 minutes ago, Royal Chicken said:

Ah ok easy.

So get the OFFICIAL hp 6 pin to 8 pin pcie adapters and you'll be fine. The 6 pins carry 150w of power but arent 8 pin so hp could charge more for an adapter

https://www.stonegroup.co.uk/hp-power-cable-8-pin-pcie-power-to-6-pin-pcie-power-8-9-cm-1tpowpac-012557/

A generic often doesnt have proper quality wire

13 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Ah ok easy.

So get the OFFICIAL hp 6 pin to 8 pin pcie adapters and you'll be fine. The 6 pins carry 150w of power but arent 8 pin so hp could charge more for an adapter

https://www.stonegroup.co.uk/hp-power-cable-8-pin-pcie-power-to-6-pin-pcie-power-8-9-cm-1tpowpac-012557/

A generic often doesnt have proper quality wire

Are you saying that the 6 pins for this specific PSU carry 150w instead of the industry standard 75w? Sorry I didn't fully understand what you said.image.png.4c296d71fa6c86ff3b5b39aad73e72f3.png

24 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Is there a distribution board inside those, like Dell uses in the 2011-3 Precision workstations? If so, there's probably a PCIe power cable available that your machine is missing; you just have to find the part number.

No there isn't. The only GPU power cables are the dual 6 pins.

30 minutes ago, Royal Chicken said:

Yes

The adapter was 95 new. Basically a way to avoid users getting too good after market gpu's and prevent them from adding more powerfull ones without paying hp tax

Also you're like the 7th person asking this question this week alone. Is there likr a sudden dump of these 😛

8 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Yes

That's very odd, thanks a lot!

2 minutes ago, Royal Chicken said:

That's very odd, thanks a lot!

It's typical enterprise workstation bs. Most companies that buy these in bulk see an extra hundred or 2 on a 5k starting price machine as little extra cost. Whilst for hp it's probably 98% pure profit on those adapters.