Gaming on someones PC non intrusively

Hi all,

At university, I have access to a PC with a GPU. I am allowed to use at as long as I dont interface with the storage on that PC or install anything.

I want to use it for gaming. I was thinking if it was possible to use an external drive to boot an OS and use the installed GPU and peripherals for gaming. For context the PC has a RTX3080 installed. For gaming I will be using Steam and EPIC.

If externally booting is an option what are the things that I should keep in mind before trying that since that PC has a lot of important data regarding research projects.

i mean, 3080 is a rlly good gpu. You could install (on your own pc ofc) windows on a portable ssd, and there shouldn't be rlly any issue if you boot from it, but if you want to be really safe, you should just do a backup of the entire school pc's drive

1 minute ago, MiszS said:

i mean, 3080 is a rlly good gpu. You could install (on your own pc ofc) windows on a portable ssd, and there shouldn't be rlly any issue if you boot from it, but if you want to be really safe, you should just do a backup of the entire drive on the school pc

How do I check if secure boot is enabled without messing it up?

Have you communicated this to them?

Like just ask hey can I play some games on this machine? Tell em you'll have them on a external drive and you just need steam

If no then don't.

This sounds like a research pc that you shouldnt mess with and you were entrusted not to do so.

So dont go messing with the thing and leave it the fuck alone

2 minutes ago, Abdulwantstogame said:

How do I check if secure boot is enabled without messing it up?

Try to boot from a linux usb drive

Just dont. When you mess up and break something you'll be in massive trouble.

People have been expelled or gotten suspended for less

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Have you communicated this to them?

Like just ask hey can I play some games on this machine? Tell em you'll have them on a external drive and you just need steam

If no then don't.

This sounds like a research pc that you shouldnt mess with and you were entrusted not to do so.

So dont go messing with the thing and leave it the fuck alone

I am going to ask too.

But as a side note. Come on, its a RTX3080 and its just sitting there not being used. 

29 minutes ago, Abdulwantstogame said:

Hi all,

At university, I have access to a PC with a GPU. I am allowed to use at as long as I dont interface with the storage on that PC or install anything.

I want to use it for gaming. I was thinking if it was possible to use an external drive to boot an OS and use the installed GPU and peripherals for gaming. For context the PC has a RTX3080 installed. For gaming I will be using Steam and EPIC.

If externally booting is an option what are the things that I should keep in mind before trying that since that PC has a lot of important data regarding research projects.

The best way I can think if is use an SSD, with a sata to usb 3.0 adapter or Enclosure, 256gb or 512gb and use Rufus to install Windows to Go so you can boot from it. You can install steam on it and the games beforehand, the only downside is it will run 4/5ths of the normal SSD speed but its still much better than a normal HDD.

You can still access the data on the other hard drive if you change the user folder permissions to everyone. But I agree with jaslion, better not mess with this if you get caught, and don't waste your education. University is expensive. Save up and buy your own gaming pc.

16 minutes ago, Abdulwantstogame said:

But as a side note. Come on, its a RTX3080 and its just sitting there not being used. 

If it's not your PC, and they say no, then it doesn't matter. It's not yours.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1 hour ago, Abdulwantstogame said:

I am going to ask too.

Yeah I see those things all the time. Its normal. Probably was built for multiple tasks or came from another project and is now not used for the moment

Like if you REALLY want 3080 performance 250$-300$ used is starting to get ya there these days.

Dont mess with eduction or research equipment if anything goes you can legit be banished from the practice far and wide.

In my eduxation consultant time I've seen this at least a dozen times where some beefy systems with quadro's rtx/rtxa systems were being used with a not properly locked down local admin account for gaming, crypto mining,... A simple webcam that takes a picture upon wrong password login later and well those kids got in big trouble but off with a final warning.

Sadly 2 didnt and one got bnished from all schools in the group as well as conected after trying to use a whole bunch of systems for mining during the last crypto boom (they did succesfully for a week and a bit during break) and ehilst they probably made a decent chunk of money they now can no longer do anything related to the sciences anymore or enlist in most schools in the country.

The other was kicked for hacking after running a keylogger trying to do a small lab lan party. Which fyi we did allow a couple times a year if asked. Less serious fate than previous but well career ruining.