Strange speed issue with switch

ComradeBard
Go to solution Solved by Needfuldoer,
2 minutes ago, ComradeBard said:

Here you go

Thanks.

I still think the PC's network cable is the prime suspect. Try swapping its cable with the PS5's, if they'll both reach.

Does your PC have a 2.5 gig NIC, or just regular Gigabit? You could try hard setting it to use gigabit, but then you might see the connection drop entirely instead of falling back to 100 meg.

I have a little 5 port network switch (tp link tlsg105) that goes to an old router, pc and ps5. My pc has a 2.5Gb port, and the switch has 5x 1Gb. It works fine for a while but after a while the pc start saying the link speed is 100Mb instead of 1000Gb, im guessing the old router is somehow causing the issue since its the only thing in the chain with less than a gigabit port but i have no idea why. Any idea what the problem actually is and how to fix it?
Rearrainging the ports on the switch does nothing

Your PC says it has a 100 meg link, or are you only getting 100 megs over the Internet?

My first suspect would be the patch cable between your PC and the switch. Then the patch cable between the switch and the router.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

18 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Your PC says it has a 100 meg link, or are you only getting 100 megs over the Internet?

My first suspect would be the patch cable between your PC and the switch. Then the patch cable between the switch and the router.

Both. If i disable and enable the ethernet on the pc or restart the switch  the pc (sometimes) says its 1000mb and works at full speed but after a while it goes back to 100 and caps the speed 

6 minutes ago, ComradeBard said:

Both. If i disable and enable the ethernet on the pc or restart the switch  the pc (sometimes) says its 1000mb and works at full speed but after a while it goes back to 100 and caps the speed 

Try different patch cables, replacing the one between your PC and the switch first. Gigabit needs all four pairs of wires in the cable to pass muster, but 10/100 only needs two pairs.

Windows won't tell you if your network connection is bottlenecked somewhere up the chain. The control panel only tells you about the link between your PC and the next device up the chain (in this case your switch). 

18 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Try different patch cables, replacing the one between your PC and the switch first. Gigabit needs all four pairs of wires in the cable to pass muster, but 10/100 only needs two pairs.

Windows won't tell you if your network connection is bottlenecked somewhere up the chain. The control panel only tells you about the link between your PC and the next device up the chain (in this case your switch). 

I have a cable checker, they are all good. Everything else in the chain looks fine too I checked the main router port speed. This is how the complete thing looks like:

-> tv                      -> PS5

Router (1Gb )       -> switch (1Gb)    -> pc (2.5Gb) 

-> office pc          -> AP ( old router, 100Mb)

8 minutes ago, ComradeBard said:

I have a cable checker, they are all good.

A real cable certifier, or just one of the continuity testers that blinks a few lights? (Because those will only tell you if the wires are stamped down to the correct pins, they won't tell you if there's bad crosstalk.)

8 minutes ago, ComradeBard said:

-> tv                      -> PS5

Router (1Gb )       -> switch (1Gb)    -> pc (2.5Gb) 

-> office pc          -> AP ( old router, 100Mb)

Can you sketch this out in Paint or something? 

1 hour ago, Needfuldoer said:

A real cable certifier, or just one of the continuity testers that blinks a few lights? (Because those will only tell you if the wires are stamped down to the correct pins, they won't tell you if there's bad crosstalk.)

Can you sketch this out in Paint or something? 

Here you go

PENUP_20231222_170816.png

2 minutes ago, ComradeBard said:

Here you go

Thanks.

I still think the PC's network cable is the prime suspect. Try swapping its cable with the PS5's, if they'll both reach.

Does your PC have a 2.5 gig NIC, or just regular Gigabit? You could try hard setting it to use gigabit, but then you might see the connection drop entirely instead of falling back to 100 meg.

3 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

Thanks.

The built in mobo NIC is 2.5. There isnt an option to set it to gigabit, but i set it from automatic to 2.5. Il see if that helps

I diagree with the cable. I think it's the switch. These cheap gigabit switches have a shelf life. With the way that it is working well then dropping makes me think it is near the end of its life. I've got more than one in the parts bin due to similar funky behavior. The good news is that they are cheap to replace.