What's the status of battery drain in sleep mode on Windows laptops?

IAmAndre
Go to solution Solved by jaslion,
18 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

The fact that they haven't found a solution is really annoying. How much battery would you lose overnight by leaving the laptop in sleep mode?

On the dell latitudes 7440 at work on a tuesday 30% cuz update day else 10% or so.

Or if we hibernate em 0. Just means system takes 3-5 sec to be instead of 1-2 sec

Hi,

I'm about to buy a Windows laptop (LG Gram) as an upgrade from my M1 MacBook AIr. The Mac has an impressive battery life, with very little battery drain when in sleep mode, and I know this has been an issue for quite some time on Windows laptops as covered in this LTT video: 

Now I would like to know if this has been fixed or improved since last year. I can't find any report on this particular laptop but I wanted to know if the situation has improved in any way, as this could be a potential deal breaker for me.

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

Now I would like to know if this has been fixed or improved since last year. I can't find any report on this particular laptop but I wanted to know if the situation has improved in any way, as this could be a potential deal breaker for me.

i have a dell xps 9510 (11th gen i7) and i have not found a solution to this problem, the workaround i currently have is hibernation, which writes the contents of the ram to the ssd, not ideal from a longevity standpoint but maybe(?) better for battery life since the system effectively shuts down

(also i would advice against the lg gram, since ive heard the hinges of the recent models screw directly into the plastic case)

gaming system: R7 3700X @ 4.25Ghz cpu / B450 STEEL LEGEND mobo / 4x8gb corsair Vengeance @3333Mhz ram / RX 7900XTX pulse gpu / Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3 cpu cooler /Coolermaster Qube 500 case / Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 12 1500w power supply

laptop: Dell xps 9510, 3.5k OLED, i7 11800h, rtx 3050 ti, 2x16gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, 1TB main drive, 2TB add in ssd

42 minutes ago, ki8aras said:

i have a dell xps 9510 (11th gen i7) and i have not found a solution to this problem, the workaround i currently have is hibernation, which writes the contents of the ram to the ssd, not ideal from a longevity standpoint but maybe(?) better for battery life since the system effectively shuts down

(also i would advice against the lg gram, since ive heard the hinges of the recent models screw directly into the plastic case)

The fact that they haven't found a solution is really annoying. How much battery would you lose overnight by leaving the laptop in sleep mode?

18 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

On the dell latitudes 7440 at work on a tuesday 30% cuz update day else 10% or so.

Or if we hibernate em 0. Just means system takes 3-5 sec to be instead of 1-2 sec

23 minutes ago, jaslion said:

That doesn't sound too bad. I haven't used a Windows laptop in a while, but I didn't expect them to take this long to recover from hibernation.

In Sleep mode the applications are running in Background so it will cause the battery to drain slowly. If you want to stop the drain then please go for hibernate mode.

27 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

That doesn't sound too bad. I haven't used a Windows laptop in a while, but I didn't expect them to take this long to recover from hibernation.

I mean thats really fast no?

Like by the time you sat down properly the thing is already up.

Modern sleep is like phones where on input it is usable, however not all devices do that

2 hours ago, IAmAndre said:

it really depends on the situation, sometimes i used to pack it up to go to uni( fully charged) only to take it out of my bag like 3 hours later with smoldering hot with 10% battery

gaming system: R7 3700X @ 4.25Ghz cpu / B450 STEEL LEGEND mobo / 4x8gb corsair Vengeance @3333Mhz ram / RX 7900XTX pulse gpu / Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3 cpu cooler /Coolermaster Qube 500 case / Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 12 1500w power supply

laptop: Dell xps 9510, 3.5k OLED, i7 11800h, rtx 3050 ti, 2x16gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, 1TB main drive, 2TB add in ssd

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

I mean thats really fast no?

Like by the time you sat down properly the thing is already up.

Modern sleep is like phones where on input it is usable, however not all devices do that

Yes of course. I meant I expected to take longer. With my old Vostro laptop from like 2010 it would take at least a minute. I also had a Huawei convertible after that but the battery drain would be quite noticeable in sleep mode. It was acceptable at the time, but your standards change after you start using a Mac.

15 minutes ago, ki8aras said:

it really depends on the situation, sometimes i used to pack it up to go to uni( fully charged) only to take it out of my bag like 3 hours later with smoldering hot with 10% battery

What laptop was that? Was it running an update or something?

22 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

What laptop was that? Was it running an update or something?

my xps 9510, honestly i could never figure it out(it happened multiple times) so i switched to hibernation

3 hours ago, IAmAndre said:

I used to have an HP Envy laptop with a Core i7 10th gen that would have this issue consistently - it would be dead upon morning time. As the video states, the issue is exacerbated with stronger hardware. I upgraded to a Macbook Air M1 2 years ago and RDP into my home desktop for this exact reason.

it is what it is

Main PC

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Gigabyte B650 Gaming X AX | 32GB 2x16 DDR5-6000MHz | RX 6800 FE | 2x 1TB SSDs | Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021

NAS

Intel Core i3-7100 | ASUS Z270M Prime Plus | 16GB 2x8 DDR4 | 256GB Samsung SSD | 4x2TB WD Blue HDDs | TrueNAS Scale

Windows XP Gaming Rig

Intel Xeon E5-2620 | 32GB 8x4 DDR3-1600MHz | ASUS P9X79 LE | GTX 960 | 500GB HDD | Windows XP Professional

2 hours ago, IAmAndre said:

Yes of course. I meant I expected to take longer. With my old Vostro laptop from like 2010 it would take at least a minute. I also had a Huawei convertible after that but the battery drain would be quite noticeable in sleep mode. It was acceptable at the time, but your standards change after you start using a Mac.

Well yeah hdds were a thing and slow :p. Also that was old old sleep too.

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

Well yeah hdds were a thing and slow :p. Also that was old old sleep too.

I actually had a Samsung RBX SSD, but I think my swap partition was on one of the HDD's. So it looks hibernation is the way to go, at least when closing the lid for a long period.

6 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

I actually had a Samsung RBX SSD, but I think my swap partition was on one of the HDD's. So it looks hibernation is the way to go, at least when closing the lid for a long period.

Unless you were a baller with the 128gb then yeah hibernate and swap and such was probably on the hdd 😛