Transport my PC over short distance safely

obese_microwave2

How can i do this safely? I have to transport my pc about 15 minutes away from my house. How do i make sure its safe during the drive? Im going to take the GPU out and put it in its respective box, stuff the box the pc will be in with towels to cushion it. What can i do to make sure it will be safe over this journey.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PGvNN6 

^^^ is the pc in question

5 minutes ago, obese_microwave2 said:

How can i do this safely? I have to transport my pc about 15 minutes away from my house. How do i make sure its safe during the drive? Im going to take the GPU out and put it in its respective box, stuff the box the pc will be in with towels to cushion it. What can i do to make sure it will be safe over this journey.

With such a short drive, unless you drive like a maniac, I personally don't think it's really necessary to take out the GPU. Though you still should take it out if you have any inkling of worry. Otherwise, just be gentle with it!

7 minutes ago, obese_microwave2 said:

That should do it. Just remove the GPU ( to be safe ) and since you got a liquid cooler there is not much force like with a beefy air cooler.

PC components are very durable, people send computers all over the world 🙂
I would always just lay it flat on the backseat of the car ontop of some blankets, with large air coolers and GPU inside.
Drove for hours to LAN events without issues. 

The PC will survive the 15 minutes easily.

5 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

That should do it. Just remove the GPU ( to be safe ) and since you got a liquid cooler there is not much force like with a beefy air cooler.

PC components are very durable, people send computers all over the world 🙂
I would always just lay it flat on the backseat of the car ontop of some blankets, with large air coolers and GPU inside.
Drove for hours to LAN events without issues. 

The PC will survive the 15 minutes easily.

In a box right? I have the original box the case came in so im gonna stuff it with towels and put it inside.

9 minutes ago, obese_microwave2 said:

In a box right? I have the original box the case came in so im gonna stuff it with towels and put it inside.

Nope, I just lay the PC case flat on the backseat on some blankets. More than enough for a 15 minute drive.

I would leave it that like that hours while driving.  Just dont jump over speed bumps at 60mph and you will be good 😄  Dont be so concerned, PC components are durable. Very little movement if any will happen when you lay it flat or have it inside the box 🙂

17 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Very little movement if any will happen when you lay it flat or have it inside the box

You can leave the components connected, but just be careful driving. There's always that possibility someone could rear end you or get into some accident. I keep thinking about that guy that tried to save on gas by transporting a load of refillable gas containers only end up being rear ended and died from the fire/explosion.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W

Amongst all the other obvious safety things you take
I would buckle it in like it was a person, that way its at least secured

Taking the gpu out of the system is probably the most you need to do, the towels might even be a bit overkill, but better safe then sorry right. Especially when it comes to something that could be worth more then a downpayment on a car.

9 minutes ago, htimsenyawed said:

I'd probably just put it in the trunk and hope for the best. I don't drive like Ken Block though.

Honestly I'd probably do the same thing with a child but I don't have kids and no one should leave me in charge of theirs.

Whenever I go to LANS sometimes over 2 hours away in the car, I put the computer inside a hard shell suitcase, with lots of padding on the inside of the suit case.

I've never had any issues doing this to date, apart from getting the tower out of the case can be a bit of a pain (I pack it very tight with soft stuff to avoid movement).

I know people who treat their pc tower as a passenger, putting it one of the seats with a tight seatbelt, this is probably fine for a trip as short as 15 minutes.

Remember treat your pc delicately, so no speeding, try and avoid aggressive braking (although of course, you should still emergency stop in a situation where life is at risk)

I would pull the GPU and lay the case flat on the floor. Avoid potholes and speedbumps 🙂

I would maybe buckle the tower in if I could..

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN8501TB, SN850X2TB
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14, TL-D14X