No POST after EXPO enabled

Im_Only_Human
Go to solution Solved by Whatisthis,
1 hour ago, Im_Only_Human said:

I still get cpu and ram LEDs and no post screen.

You have a mobo, cpu, or ram problem…the only way to find out is to start swapping parts or take it to a shop where they can test the components.

My first guess would be the ram got somehow screwed. My second would be motherboard is wonky. Third is the CPUs memory controller is toast. 

This type of thing really shouldn’t happen when just changing timings and altering vdimm a bit, but stranger thing s have happened.

My system will no longer POST after I enabled AMD EXPO. I have already POSTed before and have even installed windows and drivers. I tried jumping JBAT_1 with a screw driver for 10 seconds. Still no POST. I took the CMOS battery out for a minute and put it back in. Still no POST. Debug LED says no CPU detected (Red) and no RAM detected (orange). It was originally running at 4800 and I set it to the rated 6000.

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

RAM: G.Skill flare X5 DDR5-6000 16GBx2 CL36 (F5-6000J3636F16GX2-FX5)

Mobo: MSI B650 Tomahawk WiFi

GPU: ASRock Phantom Gaming RX 7800 XT

PSU: MSI MPG a750g PCIe5

Case: Lian li Lancool III Black RGB

CPU cooler: Deepcool Ls720 se

Storage: WD SN570 1TB NVMe + Teamgroup 512GB SATA SSD

IMG_0642.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Im_Only_Human said:

You can update the BIOS without it POSTing?

Yes. 

Ensure its a freshly formatted FAT32 USB stick.

From your manual:

image.png.b584b7f21d8e29396de5321331346dbd.png

13 minutes ago, Im_Only_Human said:

I took the CMOS battery out for a minute and put it back in.

I'd try longer, e.g. over night.

2 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Yes. 

Ensure its a freshly formatted FAT32 USB stick.

From your manual:

image.png.b584b7f21d8e29396de5321331346dbd.png

I flashed the bios and it still won’t post. The cpu and ram lights are still on

What other things could be the issue? What else could I try that would make reasonable sense?

Pull the ram out. Unplug power cord. Hold power button for 10 seconds. Take out CMOS battery for 10 minutes. Put battery back in. Replug power cord. Power up without ram, then power down. Reinsert ram into board and try booting. 

55 minutes ago, Whatisthis said:

Pull the ram out. Unplug power cord. Hold power button for 10 seconds. Take out CMOS battery for 10 minutes. Put battery back in. Replug power cord. Power up without ram, then power down. Reinsert ram into board and try booting. 

1 hour ago, Im_Only_Human said:

You have a mobo, cpu, or ram problem…the only way to find out is to start swapping parts or take it to a shop where they can test the components.

My first guess would be the ram got somehow screwed. My second would be motherboard is wonky. Third is the CPUs memory controller is toast. 

This type of thing really shouldn’t happen when just changing timings and altering vdimm a bit, but stranger thing s have happened.

I guess I’ll have to find time to go back to microcenter again… Thanks for the help anyways brothers.

On 12/19/2023 at 7:43 PM, Whatisthis said:

CPU controller must’ve been bricked… Only one stick would run according to a microcenter rep. Solution was to return the CPU and MOBO.