Thoughts on Ultra-Wide Monitors??

Hey guys I am just looking into monitors to get for my almost complete gaming rig and I think I am going to get an ultra-wide display.  I have heard from a couple friends that ultra-wide displays are super nice for gaming and movie watching which I will be doing both of.  I planned on getting a triple monitor set-up with 1920x1080 monitors but I figured just getting an ultra-wide would be better due to the fact there's no bezel. I want to know what your guys' experience with ultra-wide monitors are.  I will be getting a R9 290 so the high resolution will be no problem at all and I plan on playing FPS and RPG games as well as any other games I see is fun. This is the monitor I have my eye set on due to the fairly big size, IPS, low response time, and matte screen.  Any advice or comments would be much appreciated and I will sure take any suggestions you guys have for me!

Thanks!

-cichington

Setup

CPU: i7 10700K Cooled By Corsair iCUE H100i Elite Capellix White Edition | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 VISION OC | MOBO: MSI MPG Z490M |

MEMORY: 32 GBs of Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB White CASE: White Lian Li O11 Dynamic Mini PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 W SFX | 

STORAGE: 2 TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD & 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 MONITOR: ASUS TUF VG27WQ1B 

PERIPHERALS: Razer Blackwidow V3 W/ Yellow Switches and Logitech G604 | OTHER: 8x White Corsair iCue QL120 and White Cable Extensions 

Add me on Steam!

it's cool, but gaming wise it won't be AMAZING until more and more games start to support it.

They're great but unless you get a 34" the height of the monitor is tiny.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

1. One thing you should know if you don't already is that you never judge a monitor's bezels by its photos online. I find that nearly all of "thin-bezel" monitors' photos are doctored in some way or another.

2. Low response time...doesn't really mean anything. 5ms could be GTG; plus, 5ms is like the norm for regular-sized IPS now. Anything below 8ms should be fine unless you are super competitive and sensitive to that.

Other than that, it should be good, I've just never seen a 2560x1080 wonky resolution before.

Some people say this before they try it but after people try it for a bit they say its worth it. My friend has this same monitor and he says its perfect given the little bit short height.

Setup

CPU: i7 10700K Cooled By Corsair iCUE H100i Elite Capellix White Edition | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 VISION OC | MOBO: MSI MPG Z490M |

MEMORY: 32 GBs of Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB White CASE: White Lian Li O11 Dynamic Mini PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 W SFX | 

STORAGE: 2 TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD & 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 MONITOR: ASUS TUF VG27WQ1B 

PERIPHERALS: Razer Blackwidow V3 W/ Yellow Switches and Logitech G604 | OTHER: 8x White Corsair iCue QL120 and White Cable Extensions 

Add me on Steam!

1. One thing you should know if you don't already is that you never judge a monitor's bezels by its photos online. I find that nearly all of "thin-bezel" monitors' photos are doctored in some way or another.

2. Low response time...doesn't really mean anything. 5ms could be GTG; plus, 5ms is like the norm for regular-sized IPS now. Anything below 8ms should be fine unless you are super competitive and sensitive to that.

Other than that, it should be good, I've just never seen a 2560x1080 wonky resolution before.

1. I dont care about the bezel on this thing I'm talking if I have 3 monitors

2.What about the 2560x1080 being a wonky resolution?

Setup

Add me on Steam!

1. I dont care about the bezel on this thing I'm talking if I have 3 monitors

2.What about the 2560x1080 being a wonky resolution?

Whoa whoa I was just saying that I've never seen 2560x1080, it must be a relatively rare res even for extra-wide, though I probably haven't done my research

I wasn't saying it was bad or anything, and I mean the bezel really doesn't matter but you gave the impression that you wanted the monitor for its thin bezels

Dude, I want this right now for my macbook as a screen for productivity, and movies, while I can game on the laptop's display at the same time LOL.

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

That's not entirely correct. A 29" ultrawide monitor is equivalent in height to a 23" 1080p monitor. The extra 6" are made up in the width. See the example below.

post-14986-0-09489700-1400557241.jpg

Source: http://www.displaywars.com/23-inch-16x9-vs-29-inch-21x9

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Hey guys I am just looking into monitors to get for my almost complete gaming rig and I think I am going to get an ultra-wide display.  I have heard from a couple friends that ultra-wide displays are super nice for gaming and movie watching which I will be doing both of.  I planned on getting a triple monitor set-up with 1920x1080 monitors but I figured just getting an ultra-wide would be better due to the fact there's no bezel. I want to know what your guys' experience with ultra-wide monitors are.  I will be getting a R9 290 so the high resolution will be no problem at all and I plan on playing FPS and RPG games as well as any other games I see is fun. This is the monitor I have my eye set on due to the fairly big size, IPS, low response time, and matte screen.  Any advice or comments would be much appreciated and I will sure take any suggestions you guys have for me!

Thanks!

-cichington

Mate, I wouldn't go for that AOC ultrawide display if I were you. I've seen many videos of it showing the build quality and it's pretty flimsy. I would much rather see you get something like the ASUS MX299Q or one of the LG ones. You might think you won't care, but trust me...you will.

That's not entirely correct. A 29" ultrawide monitor is equivalent in height to a 23" 1080p monitor. The extra 6" are made up in the width. See the example below.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Source: http://www.displaywars.com/23-inch-16x9-vs-29-inch-21x9

Exactly my point, which is why it makes no sense why they make 25" 21:9.

Exactly my point, which is why it makes no sense why they make 25" 21:9.

Well if you were coming from a 20" 1600x900 monitor you might not mind it because that 25" 21:9 display is equivalent in height to a 20" monitor ;). As far as 34" ultrawide displays go, unless you were going for a 3440x1440 res one, the pixel density is at a pitiful 81 PPI as oppose to 95 PPI on a 29" one. So the clarity wouldn't be as good. But those 34" 21:9 3K monitors don't come cheap so the OP would be better off with a 29" one instead. ;)

Well if you were coming from a 20" 1600x900 monitor you might not mind it because that 25" 21:9 display is equivalent in height to a 20" monitor ;). As far as 34" ultrawide displays go, unless you were going for a 3440x1440 res one, the pixel density is at a pitiful 81 PPI as oppose to 95 PPI on a 29" one. So the clarity wouldn't be as good. But those 34" 21:9 3K monitors don't come cheap so the OP would be better off with a 29" one instead. ;)

Fair enough but even coming from a small monitor it'd kinda suck as productivity would still be meh.

Sorry, but that's just not true.

Whoa whoa I was just saying that I've never seen 2560x1080, it must be a relatively rare res even for extra-wide, though I probably haven't done my research

I wasn't saying it was bad or anything, and I mean the bezel really doesn't matter but you gave the impression that you wanted the monitor for its thin bezels

I wouldn't say it's rare; I've been looking at going ultrawide because I watch a lot of films, and it tends to be standard as a resolution.

Fractal Design R2 Define, Core i5-4670k@3.40Ghz, 16gb Corsair Vengeance Ram

Zotac GTX 780 OC, BenQ XL2410T 1920x1080 120hz, LG 29EA73-P 29 Ultra wide

Crucial M4 250gb SSD, 2x3tb Western Digital Caviar Black partitioned into 1.36tb each, Razer Black Widow 2013 edition, Razer Deathadder, Logitech G13. 

I just saw a 27" or maybe it was a 29" 21:9 monitor at Staples last night and my goodness are they small.  They also had 21:9 in a smaller monitor size there too.  I honestly can't believe a gamer would want to play on any of what I saw considering the height and the price of these monitors.  Way too small.  Do not get an ultra wide monitor unless it is in a much bigger size in my opinion.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

I just saw a 27" or maybe it was a 29" 21:9 monitor at Staples last night and my goodness are they small.  They also had 21:9 in a smaller monitor size there too.  I honestly can't believe a gamer would want to play on any of what I saw considering the height and the price of these monitors.  Way too small.  Do not get an ultra wide monitor unless it is in a much bigger size in my opinion.

Like 34 inches? :P

Like 34 inches? :P

Still probably wouldn't be enough for me considering the way they measure monitors.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Still probably wouldn't be enough for me considering the way they measure monitors.

Are you referring to the usual corner to corner diagonal measurement?

I want 2 of them so i can put them above my triple 24s. They would be used for productivity and nothing else.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

They would be used for productivity and nothing else.

Is that your Biased Opinion? :P

Is that your Biased Opinion? :P

No not quite, that is just my use case. If you want my biased opinion either look above my profile pic or go hunting in other threads.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

No not quite, that is just my use case. If you want my biased opinion either look above my profile pic or go hunting in other threads.

I's just being stupid. :D

• 1 year later...

i would go for a LG 29um67 or 34' version there great and since your going to use a amd one the freesync is great

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

21:9 > ALL

Luckily there are 21:9 gsync and high refresh coming, but if there wasnt... still 21:9 > ALL ; anyone who has actually played on a 21:9 will agree without hesitation