New Onkyo receiver + Noctua. Not going to let this one overheat...

aggie113

This will be my fourth Onkyo receiver now with this TX-RZ50 unit I picked up this week replacing an old TX-NR777 unit that starting having issues with HDMI signaling.  I have also heard some horror stories of some RZ50 units suffering from HDMI issues as well (same symptom but probably different cause).  Hopefully mine is trouble free or at least dies within warranty.  Either way, I'm hedging my bets by taking advantage of the 5V USB port on the back of the unit by installing a big 200mm Noctua fan (NF-A20 5V PWM).  There is a smaller built in fan but it only runs when things really heat up.  The Noctua will provide a nice, steady flow through the unit.  Should also help that I'm using the pre-outs on the receiver and pushing the power duties over to a new Buckeye 6 channel Hypex NC252MP amp.  A big step up for me but hopefully it can really drive my Polk LSi15/LSiC/LSi9 surround setup without breaking a sweat.

1.thumb.jpg.c672dfb526f13c3a9b44246f3c63ba13.jpg2.thumb.jpg.550da2ca1414b886ff5ba753676fb156.jpg

But I'm just talking out my ass.

Not sure if you wanted to Noctua as intake or exhaust, but you have it in Exhaust config right now, not blowing air in, but sucking air out. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

I don't know, looks like a lack of conviction to me.

Open a big ass hole and let that fan breathe!

Running the fan like that may damage it since the lack of airflow will make the motor run hotter and with extra resistance.

Qoute my reply if you want me to answer back. 

Wanted it to vent the hot air out the top to promote cool air from the bottom.  Didn't want to modify the casing for sake of possible future warranty claims.

I'm thoroughly confused why you're doing this? Usually receivers have an eco mode you can enable if you're using pre-outs and they basically run cold at that point.

Is this the fourth Onkyo you've had to buy from overheating issues? Why do you keep buying this brand? The TX-RZ50 should be a nice upgrade from your previous model... hopefully more reliable too. But if this one bites the dust too then it's time to consider Denon or Yamaha.

I've had my X3200w in service since 2015 in eco mode with a 7 channel Emotiva amp. I just added a second amp about a year ago for the center speaker only bc I'm crazy like that. But MAN it sounds amazing in my theater!

11 hours ago, johnt said:

I'm thoroughly confused why you're doing this? Usually receivers have an eco mode you can enable if you're using pre-outs and they basically run cold at that point.

Is this the fourth Onkyo you've had to buy from overheating issues? Why do you keep buying this brand? The TX-RZ50 should be a nice upgrade from your previous model... hopefully more reliable too. But if this one bites the dust too then it's time to consider Denon or Yamaha.

I've had my X3200w in service since 2015 in eco mode with a 7 channel Emotiva amp. I just added a second amp about a year ago for the center speaker only bc I'm crazy like that. But MAN it sounds amazing in my theater!

So much faulty inference! 
The main speakers are not the only ones the unit would be driving, just the most demanding.  This is the fourth Onkyo I've owned, but only one has had issues with HDMI.  Not sure if heat caused the issues with the NR777 but I wanted to err on the side of caution with this unit as it's a big step up for me as far as audio costs go.  I did look hard at the Denon VR-X3800H unit but didn't like the added costs of the Dirac license ($350-649 for full bandwidth plus single sub) on top of the extra cost for the USB mic required.  Plus the Denon didn't have as good a pre-out signal as the Onkyo.  Looked at the Yamaha RX-A4A, but with my odd room shape I really wanted to benefit from Dirac processing.