Low fps in games

Mark111
Go to solution Solved by problemsolver,
22 minutes ago, Mark111 said:

I felt the game more responsive and in areas (SMT enabled) i got about 80fps, (SMT disabled) i got about 100fps so that did help.

Great! DX12 should be faster than performance mode based on your previous posts, theoretically with SMT disabled it would be even faster.

If this satisfies your want for moar FPS, please mark this as solved.

Hello i have an issue with my pc:

ryzen 7 1700

rx 5700XT

16gb 2666mhz ram

asrock x370m pro4

i have an issue that my cpu+gpu sometimes doesnt do anything for example when i was playing far cry 4 a while back my cpu and gpu were at 40% and i was getting around 60fps on medium 1440p when i am supposed to be getting around 200 fps.

I hope somebody can help me resolve this issue.

It also happens in other games like cs2 and fortnite.

3dmark run:https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/104040335?

a.png

1 minute ago, Mark111 said:

when i am supposed to be getting around 200 fps

who said you are supposed to be getting 200fps on an almost 7 year old cpu

2 minutes ago, Mark111 said:

pc-builds.com

ok well how'd that work out , were they right or were they clearly wrong?

any website with a "bottleneck calculator" is going to be cheap clickbait garbage. most online calculators for pcs builds are not only significantly inaccurate , but are also trying to sell you computer parts.

3 minutes ago, Mark111 said:

clearly wrong as i see...

Yea, the 1700 is holding you back quite a bit. It's an early Zen chip and just not that fast.

Luckily you can drop a new CPU on that board, looks like it can support up to the 3xxx series so a Ryzen 3600 will be a pretty good upgrade.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

14 hours ago, Dedayog said:

Yea, the 1700 is holding you back quite a bit. It's an early Zen chip and just not that fast.

Luckily you can drop a new CPU on that board, looks like it can support up to the 3xxx series so a Ryzen 3600 will be a pretty good upgrade.

So the ryzen 7 1700 is supposed to run like that?

Yes its old but a cpu from 2017 and gpu from 2019 can run a game from 2014 on only 60fps medium ?

The 3600 whould run normally? I just want tro make sure it wont have the same problem as the cpu i have now.

You could try a few things:

• check temps on GPU and CPU while gaming, maybe the cooler on one has gotten bad and they are thermal throttling.
  • check whether you have vsync enabled or anything like that
  • check your display is actually plugged into the GPU and not the port on the MoBo (not sure how that would work with a Ryzen tho)

Is it only in this game or also in others? Does changing the in-game settings affect the performance (i.e. lowering resolution improving things?) or is it not connected to that?

The idea is to establish whether this is really the hardware being the constraint or just some config/software issue. you could also try to dig up benchmark values for your GPU and CPU and see whether you can reach those.

3 hours ago, GarlicDeliverySystem said:

You could try a few things:

• check temps on GPU and CPU while gaming, maybe the cooler on one has gotten bad and they are thermal throttling.
  • check whether you have vsync enabled or anything like that
  • check your display is actually plugged into the GPU and not the port on the MoBo (not sure how that would work with a Ryzen tho)

Is it only in this game or also in others? Does changing the in-game settings affect the performance (i.e. lowering resolution improving things?) or is it not connected to that?

The idea is to establish whether this is really the hardware being the constraint or just some config/software issue. you could also try to dig up benchmark values for your GPU and CPU and see whether you can reach those.

temps are after 2 hours of gaming 60-70 celsius on gpu and cpu

vsync is turned off

monitor is plugged into my gpu 

When i was playing dying light i had about 150fps and gpu at 100% but in other games like fortnite, cs2  gpu and cpu are at 20% with low fps.

In games like far cry 4, fortnite, cs2 changing settings didnt affect preformance but in dying light it did

I did 3dmark benchmark:https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/104040335?

Thanks for posting the 3DMARK score, that was very helpful in showing your computer is functioning properly. I looked for similar scores and yours looks to be scoring about 1500 pts higher than the 'average' for your build, so that tells us that your computer is running pretty well for the hardware you have.

image.thumb.png.26c8e60b0d911c9d3c67355922419818.png

There are a ton of variables for FPS, from exact game settings to other programs you have installed, to your OS, to security settings etc.

The easiest thing to do next if you want to see if you're leaving performance on the table is to:

FrameView doesn't have much of an interface, so set the folder where it will record the data and press the scroll lock key to start recording. Press it again to stop. You can record just a couple of minutes which is PLENTY of data. It will be saved in a CSV file. Just make sure you're in the game already when you start recording.

image.png.cd33e0a961da9836765156902ebb41d0.png

There is approximately a 117% chance I edited my post.

Please refresh before you reply.

Did a post solve your issue?  Please mark it as the solution!

3 hours ago, problemsolver said:

Thanks for posting the 3DMARK score, that was very helpful in showing your computer is functioning properly. I looked for similar scores and yours looks to be scoring about 1500 pts higher than the 'average' for your build, so that tells us that your computer is running pretty well for the hardware you have.

image.thumb.png.26c8e60b0d911c9d3c67355922419818.png

There are a ton of variables for FPS, from exact game settings to other programs you have installed, to your OS, to security settings etc.

The easiest thing to do next if you want to see if you're leaving performance on the table is to:

FrameView doesn't have much of an interface, so set the folder where it will record the data and press the scroll lock key to start recording. Press it again to stop. You can record just a couple of minutes which is PLENTY of data. It will be saved in a CSV file. Just make sure you're in the game already when you start recording.

image.png.cd33e0a961da9836765156902ebb41d0.png

Thanks for the reply i enabled latency markers and got the CSV files, i got 2: 

https://www.mediafire.com/file/0iaszr8c5doizla/FrameView_FortniteClient-Win64-Shipping.exe_2023_12_16T220009_Log.csv/file

https://www.mediafire.com/file/4pcxllh5c6w7ddl/FrameView_FortniteClient-Win64-Shipping.exe_2023_12_16T220713_Log.csv/file

First thing I see is that you're running Fornite in DX 11. Use DX12 and see if there's any difference. It should make more of a difference on older CPUs.

I am runing fortnite on performance mode for more fps, so i have to use DX12?

48 minutes ago, Mark111 said:

I am runing fortnite on performance mode for more fps, so i have to use DX12?

Not familiar with that. Read the instructions I linked and try DX 12. I don't think it will fix all the issues, but it should be better than DX 11. Again, the only way to know is to try it.

It looks like something very weird is going on with your GPU.

If you expand the Spoiler tag at the bottom of this post, you'll notice the cells highlighted in the pink box. Normal behavior occurs before and after the pink box, but during the pink box your GPU clocks down at one point, and then at another point clocks the memory way down, but the GPU clocks are high. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

• Is this a clean install of Windows? Or are you reusing an install from another computer?
  • Are you using other programs like OBS, RGB software etc. while playing?
  • Do you have a multi-monitor setup?
  • Have you set the Nvidia driver under Manage 3D Settings >> Global tab >> Power management mode >> Prefer Maximum Performance?
  • Did you install the latest Nvidia AMD drivers?
  • Did you install the latest AMD chipset drivers?
  • What settings are set here:
    image.thumb.png.3eeabe7b1782899eace6194745a4a66c.png

Data from FrameView below. Expand to view.

Spoiler

FrameView_FortniteClient-Win64-Shipping.exe_2023_12_16T220009_Log_Page_1.png

FrameView_FortniteClient-Win64-Shipping.exe_2023_12_16T220009_Log_Page_2.png

FrameView_FortniteClient-Win64-Shipping.exe_2023_12_16T220009_Log_Page_3.png

FrameView_FortniteClient-Win64-Shipping.exe_2023_12_16T220009_Log_Page_4.png

FrameView_FortniteClient-Win64-Shipping.exe_2023_12_16T220009_Log_Page_5.png

old cpu, slow ram, it appears to me your pc runs as it should. ~

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

-

46 minutes ago, problemsolver said:

Not familiar with that. Read the instructions I linked and try DX 12. I don't think it will fix all the issues, but it should be better than DX 11. Again, the only way to know is to try it.

It looks like something very weird is going on with your GPU.

If you expand the Spoiler tag at the bottom of this post, you'll notice the cells highlighted in the pink box. Normal behavior occurs before and after the pink box, but during the pink box your GPU clocks down at one point, and then at another point clocks the memory way down, but the GPU clocks are high. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

• Is this a clean install of Windows? Or are you reusing an install from another computer?
  • Are you using other programs like OBS, RGB software etc. while playing?
  • Do you have a multi-monitor setup?
  • Have you set the Nvidia driver under Manage 3D Settings >> Global tab >> Power management mode >> Prefer Maximum Performance?
  • Did you install the latest Nvidia drivers?
  • Did you install the latest AMD chipset drivers?
  • What settings are set here:
    image.thumb.png.3eeabe7b1782899eace6194745a4a66c.png

Reveal hidden contents

FrameView_FortniteClient-Win64-Shipping.exe_2023_12_16T220009_Log_Page_1.png

FrameView_FortniteClient-Win64-Shipping.exe_2023_12_16T220009_Log_Page_2.png

FrameView_FortniteClient-Win64-Shipping.exe_2023_12_16T220009_Log_Page_3.png

FrameView_FortniteClient-Win64-Shipping.exe_2023_12_16T220009_Log_Page_4.png

FrameView_FortniteClient-Win64-Shipping.exe_2023_12_16T220009_Log_Page_5.png

I have had this install of windows for 5 years and was downloaded on this computer not from other

-only sometimes chrome if i want to google something or windows music player

-1 only have 1 monitor

-i have amd gpu with the latest driver, when i got this gpu i also installes amd chipset drivers

-I have variable refresh rate on in monitor settings, where do i check hadŕdware acceleration on windows 10?

39 minutes ago, Mark111 said:

-

I have had this install of windows for 5 years and was downloaded on this computer not from other

-only sometimes chrome if i want to google something or windows music player

-1 only have 1 monitor

-i have amd gpu with the latest driver, when i got this gpu i also installes amd chipset drivers

Aaah, sorry. Got your GPU brand mixed up.

Okay, is Windows up-to-date?

📆Also, the latest Chipset driver is from Aug 2023. Use the link I posted and update it.

🔋What power mode are you using in Windows?

❓You also didn't answer my question about what settings you have set in Windows.

🔃 What is the max refresh rate of your monitor?

Also, 200 FPS at 1440p for the 5700 XT doesn't seem to be accurate. This YouTuber has a much better processor (with the 5700 XT) and got 60 FPS on DX12 on Low.

We can probably improve the performance... but 200 FPS seems to be very much out of reach.

11 hours ago, problemsolver said:

Aaah, sorry. Got your GPU brand mixed up.

Okay, is Windows up-to-date?

📆Also, the latest Chipset driver is from Aug 2023. Use the link I posted and update it.

🔋What power mode are you using in Windows?

❓You also didn't answer my question about what settings you have set in Windows.

🔃 What is the max refresh rate of your monitor?

Also, 200 FPS at 1440p for the 5700 XT doesn't seem to be accurate. This YouTuber has a much better processor (with the 5700 XT) and got 60 FPS on DX12 on Low.

We can probably improve the performance... but 200 FPS seems to be very much out of reach.

-windows is up to date

-power mode is on Performance

-240hz

-i only have variable refresh rate on in monitor settings, but not in windows

-in windows settings i dont have the option to enable or disable hardware accelerated GPU scheduling

- downloaded latest chipset drivers

-tried DX12  now gpu+cpu are at 100% but i have 60-80fps

-i have noticed that in performance mode  gpu clock and memory clock were at 1000-1200mhz and gpu memory was only using 1-2gb couldnt that be the issue?

8 hours ago, Mark111 said:

-windows is up to date

-power mode is on Performance

-240hz

-i only have variable refresh rate on in monitor settings, but not in windows

-in windows settings i dont have the option to enable or disable hardware accelerated GPU scheduling

- downloaded latest chipset drivers

-tried DX12  now gpu+cpu are at 100% but i have 60-80fps

-i have noticed that in performance mode  gpu clock and memory clock were at 1000-1200mhz and gpu memory was only using 1-2gb couldnt that be the issue?

Okay, so that did improve it, so you should probably use DX 12 in Fortnite for maximum FPS.

• Are you using Windows 10 or Windows 11?
  • Install/open MSI Afterburner and post a screenshot of what settings your 5700 XT has
    • It looks like your 5700 XT is not running at the correct clock speeds, but it may be that your CPU can't process data fast enough to the GPU anyway.

Again, like others have pointed out @emosun @Mark Kaine, you're likely CPU limited. And the video I linked previously shows that it's HIGHLY UNLIKEY that you will be getting 200 FPS @ 1440p on medium settings.

If you haven't overclocked your RAM and CPU and disabled SMT, that is probably another area to increase FPS.

12 minutes ago, problemsolver said:

Okay, so that did improve it, so you should probably use DX 12 in Fortnite for maximum FPS.

• Are you using Windows 10 or Windows 11?
  • Install/open MSI Afterburner and post a screenshot of what settings your 5700 XT has
    • It looks like your 5700 XT is not running at the correct clock speeds, but it may be that your CPU can't process data fast enough to the GPU anyway.

Again, like others have pointed out @emosun @Mark Kaine, you're likely CPU limited. And the video I linked previously shows that it's HIGHLY UNLIKEY that you will be getting 200 FPS @ 1440p on medium settings.

If you haven't overclocked your RAM and CPU and disabled SMT, that is probably another area to increase FPS.

-i use windows 10

- i havent overclocked CPU, i enabled D.O.C.P. but in windows sows up as 1333mhz, Idk what is SMT so i probably dont have it disabled how do i check it?

MSI Afterburner  17. 12. 2023 19_14_21.png

On 12/17/2023 at 12:15 PM, Mark111 said:

-i use windows 10

- i havent overclocked CPU, i enabled D.O.C.P. but in windows sows up as 1333mhz, Idk what is SMT so i probably dont have it disabled how do i check it?

MSI Afterburner  17. 12. 2023 19_14_21.png

Is Windows 10 up-to-date?

D.O.C.P. is AMD's version of XMP and it's a 2:1 ratio so 1333Mhz x 2 = 2666MHz

SMT is in the UEFI. You would need to measure with it enabled, then disable it and measure.

However, Fornite doesn't have a built-in benchmark program, which makes it very difficult to make comparisons.

Other than that, use DX12 mode for games that support it, and any further FPS boosts will require overclocking the CPU and tightening RAM times/Overclock RAM further.

22 hours ago, problemsolver said:

Is Windows 10 up-to-date?

D.O.C.P. is AMD's version of XMP and it's a 2:1 ratio so 1333Mhz x 2 = 2666MHz

SMT is in the UEFI. You would need to measure with it enabled, then disable it and measure.

However, Fornite doesn't have a built-in benchmark program, which makes it very difficult to make comparisons.

Other than that, use DX12 mode for games that support it, and any further FPS boosts will require overclocking the CPU and tightening RAM times/Overclock RAM further.

Yes windows is up to date

tried disabling SMT Before-https://www.mediafire.com/file/j0hlbn6ikmxn46q/FrameView_FortniteClient-Win64-Shipping.exe_2023_12_19T164802_Log.csv/file

After-https://www.mediafire.com/file/f5audbs1sjsywaj/FrameView_FortniteClient-Win64-Shipping.exe_2023_12_19T185242_Log.csv/file

it was on performance mode because i had worse fps on DX12.

1 hour ago, Mark111 said:

Very difficult to measure if you used Fortnite. If you could tell a difference (I doubt it based on the measurements you took, I would pick which ever one you thought was better.)

2 minutes ago, problemsolver said:

Very difficult to measure if you used Fortnite. If you could tell a difference (I doubt it based on the measurements you took, I would pick which ever one you thought was better.)

I felt the game more responsive and in areas (SMT enabled) i got about 80fps, (SMT disabled) i got about 100fps so that did help.

Great! DX12 should be faster than performance mode based on your previous posts, theoretically with SMT disabled it would be even faster.

If this satisfies your want for moar FPS, please mark this as solved.