Upgrading from 2080 Ti

I have been using the 2080 Ti for about 5 years now, and recently, it has begun showing signs of dying. Tested the PSU, CPU, Memory etc. Whenever I run an intensive task, the GPU causes a crash and the screens go black, I hear audio still for a short while, and the CPU fans kick in at high speed. Memory dump says it has something to do with Nvidia as well. I am not sure what to do to fix it, and I was considering upgrading it to a 4070, given the circumstances, getting a 4090 (Although very tempting, is a bit too pricey in Finland. ~2100 € to start.). I was wondering if it is worth it to get a 4070, or somehow bite the bullet for a 4090 or if there are other options.

My main goals with the GPU usually are related to learning to use Blender, games, and a bit of AI based tasks such as training datasets etc.

Thank you kindly for any help provided, incase you need more information, I would be happy to provide. Cheers!

18 minutes ago, srcharged113 said:

I have been using the 2080 Ti for about 5 years now, and recently, it has begun showing signs of dying. Tested the PSU, CPU, Memory etc. Whenever I run an intensive task, the GPU causes a crash and the screens go black, I hear audio still for a short while, and the CPU fans kick in at high speed. Memory dump says it has something to do with Nvidia as well. I am not sure what to do to fix it, and I was considering upgrading it to a 4070, given the circumstances, getting a 4090 (Although very tempting, is a bit too pricey in Finland. ~2100 € to start.). I was wondering if it is worth it to get a 4070, or somehow bite the bullet for a 4090 or if there are other options.

My main goals with the GPU usually are related to learning to use Blender, games, and a bit of AI based tasks such as training datasets etc.

Thank you kindly for any help provided, incase you need more information, I would be happy to provide. Cheers!

As long as your current CPU wouldn't bottleneck your 4090, then I would go for the 4090. But depending on your CPU it might be better to pick up a 4070.

Have you tried turning it off and on again? Maybe Restart it? 

Please make sure to Mark the Solution as a Solution.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I could be just about wrong as I am right.

Main RIG

13600K (Undervolted) +MSI Z690 Edge Wi-Fi+ Team Elite 32gb RAM (3200) +Noctua Nhd-15 Chromax Black+ Intel 670p 1TB SSD+ Intel Arc A770+ Corsair Crystal 465x case+ EVGA SuperNOVA 650W PSU.+ ASUS VP222 Gaming Monitor

Laptop for School: Surface go 2 (sucks ass)

Laptop for tinkering: Dell Inspirion 3358

Audio: Apple Airpods Pro (1st Gen)

(Apple_reigns_ supreme_ forever_ and_ ever)

(I am 15 years old and don't know shit about fucking shit.) 

Everyone must suffer one of two Pains: The pain of Discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment.

-Jim Rohn

4090 has had a big spike in the price recently, so I think maybe wait and see if it comes down. I suspect they took the price up artifically so they can slot in the new Super series in between, but then the US China ban hit and scalpers started to buy them in mass too.

4090 is a 4K card, if you don't have a 4K screen or one of those very long monitors that make you turn your head around while looking at them, then buying a 4090 is a bit of a waste for someone on a budget. 4070 in my opinion is the best brand new 1440p card available for the price. The 4080 is also a 4K card but a great option for 1440p high referesh-rate. Previously the 4080 wasn't really worth it compared to the 4090 becuase 4090 was close to MSRP. AMD cards have their fans but for me none of their prices in this range justify them given that I'll lose DLSS and FSR is really not comparable anymore.

9 minutes ago, FI Fheonix said:

As long as your current CPU wouldn't bottleneck your 4090, then I would go for the 4090. But depending on your CPU it might be better to pick up a 4070.

I have an R9 3900 XT. I think it can handle 4K fairly well, for now. But I haven't been in the scene for a while and not sure about it

6 minutes ago, Jon-Slow said:

4090 has had a big spike in the price recently, so I think maybe wait and see if it comes down. I suspect they took the price up artifically so they can slot in the new Super series in between, but then the US China ban hit and scalpers started to buy them in mass too.

4090 is a 4K card, if you don't have a 4K screen or one of those very long monitors that make you turn your head around while looking at them, then buying a 4090 is a bit of a waste for someone on a budget. 4070 in my opinion is the best brand new 1440p card available for the price. The 4080 is also a 4K card but a great option for 1440p high referesh-rate. Previously the 4080 wasn't really worth it compared to the 4090 becuase 4090 was close to MSRP. AMD cards have their fans but for me none of their prices in this range justify them given that I'll lose DLSS and FSR is really not comparable anymore.

I use a 4K120 LG CX as my main gaming screen. I checked the price and I can get a 4090 for 1799 and a 4080 for 1289 respectively. I am not looking at AMD mainly because the last time I had to work with one, it was a pain to train with. So it would hinder one big part of my work needs if it is still the case. 

1 minute ago, srcharged113 said:

I have an R9 3900 XT. I think it can handle 4K fairly well, for now. But I haven't been in the scene for a while and not sure about it

I use a 4K120 LG CX as my main gaming screen. I checked the price and I can get a 4090 for 1799 and a 4080 for 1289 respectively. I am not looking at AMD mainly because the last time I had to work with one, it was a pain to train with. So it would hinder one big part of my work needs if it is still the case. 

I was reffering to your CPU, not GPU.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I could be just about wrong as I am right.

Main RIG

13600K (Undervolted) +MSI Z690 Edge Wi-Fi+ Team Elite 32gb RAM (3200) +Noctua Nhd-15 Chromax Black+ Intel 670p 1TB SSD+ Intel Arc A770+ Corsair Crystal 465x case+ EVGA SuperNOVA 650W PSU.+ ASUS VP222 Gaming Monitor

Everyone must suffer one of two Pains: The pain of Discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment.

-Jim Rohn

2 minutes ago, FI Fheonix said:

I was reffering to your CPU, not GPU.

Yes, I have an AMD 3900XT, that's my CPU. It can handle the CPU load at 4K so it wouldn't be a big bottleneck. I think.

Just now, srcharged113 said:

Yes, I have an AMD 3900XT, that's my CPU. It can handle the CPU load at 4K so it wouldn't be a big bottleneck. I think.

My Fault, I misread.

Main RIG

-Jim Rohn

10 minutes ago, srcharged113 said:

then go for the 4090, if your cash isn't enough go for the 4080. The next best option is a used 3090 or 3090ti if they are considerablly cheaper than a 4080. But those are the only things I would ever get for a 4K120hz screen.

4 minutes ago, srcharged113 said:

for 4k120hz with a 4090, it will be a little bit weak.

6 minutes ago, Jon-Slow said:

then go for the 4090, if your cash isn't enough go for the 4080. The next best option is a used 3090 or 3090ti if they are considerablly cheaper than a 4080. But those are the only things I would ever get for a 4K120hz screen.

for 4k120hz with a 4090, it will be a little bit weak.

The games I play, I just need 60. So I am not too worried about having the games run less than 120. 2080 Ti was able to do that with lower graphics. I think, ultimately, I will go for a 4070, since it is like 625. And I can return it if it doesn't meet my demands within 45 days. And get a 4090 then. 

45 minutes ago, srcharged113 said:

The games I play, I just need 60. So I am not too worried about having the games run less than 120. 2080 Ti was able to do that with lower graphics. I think, ultimately, I will go for a 4070, since it is like 625. And I can return it if it doesn't meet my demands within 45 days. And get a 4090 then. 

Even if your refresh-rate is lower, you'll need a wider bus width and sometimes more than 12gb of vram for native 4K. 4070 should do okay with DLSS, but I would still go for either a 4080 or a 4090, but it's your choice

9 hours ago, Jon-Slow said:

The price is up because the sellers where flooding the market in China before the ban comes into effect.

CPU : Ryzen 7 7800X3D @ -18mv all core except -13mv on Core 5 because its a pig.

CPU Cooler : Deepcool AK620 Zero Dark

Mobo : MSI B650M-A Wifi MATX

Ram : 32GB (2X16GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000MHZ CL34

GPU : Reference Design RX7900XT sold by Saphire running at 1050MV undervolt and +15% PL (355w)

Storage : 1TB WD SN770 + 2TB Samsung 970 Evo

PSU : Corsair HX750w Platinum

Case : Asus Prime AP201 All Mesh MATX

Case Fans : Arctic p12's everywhere i can fit them in , 7 In total.

Monitor : LG 27GP850-B.BEK 1440p Nano IPS 180Hz

Keyboard : HyperX Alloy Core RGB

Mouse : Corsair M65 Elite RGB

Headset : Corsair HS35 Gaming Headset