4 computers into 1 Cluster

BotDamian

Hi there,

I have 4 computers and I want to make it a cluster... so I can throw some work at them... for example rendering videos.

Is it possible to make all of them render a single video?

Not sure how clusters work under the hood. Can someone share their wisdom in this topic?

- Big thanks

Intel NUC 13 | i3 1315U2x 8GB 3600/CL16

AMD 7950x3d | Sapphire 7800XT Nitro | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance 5600Mhz CL36 1R | MSI B650-P Pro Wifi | Custom Loop

AUNE X8 Magic DAC + SS3602

AUNE X7s PRO Class-A | Sennheiser HD58X

Schiit Rekkr ELAC BS243.3

19 minutes ago, BotDamian said:

Is it possible to make all of them render a single video?

What you need is video editing software that can distribute work to other copies of itself running on another computer. There's no special "cluster setup" you have to do other than the machines being in the same network, provided you have software that supports this type of distributed rendering.

For videos it's usually called a render farm, rather than a cluster

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/davinci-resolve-remote-render-server-complete-guide-windows-linux/138807

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

In the commercial space this is frequently done with containerization like docker swarm or Kubernetes. Keep in mind that these are only for manager containers not actually doing the logic of breaking up a task such as video rendering. As another tidbit there are some programming languages that have great built in support for this type of thing, such as Julia.