Help frames per second is horrible!

Hello I'm 41 years old in in school for software Developer, also I'm a spinal cord injury patient I'm in bed almost 24 hours a day I don't know really how much longer I have but I love playing pc games that is what makes me happy I bought a dell optiplex 3020 gaming pc for $160 it has an Intel core i5 at 3.30 ghz and 16 gb of ddr3 ram it also came with a Nividia graphic card a 1030t 2gb What is the best performance settings make it more smoother game play. When I play GTA 5 my character goes so slow then from time to time there wil be a line in the middle of the screen. Kinda looks like the game is running faster than the system. I use yuzu emulator also when i play red dead redemption the frames per second makes me wanna throw up. My character in the game when i move the camera around the frames per second are bad the system cant keep up. What can i do to fix this i don't have alot of money i live off ssi. I can't really afford anything right now but this is what I love to do please help please help guys today is my bday this would make me so happy to figure this out!

Your computer is pretty much the bare minimum for running modern AAA games.

Do you have all your graphics settings turned all the way down?

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

I'm sorry to say that there's probably not much that can be done to improve the situation with such weak hardware. You seem to be well below the minimum recommended specs for Yuzu emulator. https://yuzu-emu.org/help/quickstart/

I think you would be ahead to play Switch games on an actual Switch rather than trying to emulate. I understand you have a very limited budget, but in my area you can pick up a used Switch Lite for $100 if you're watchful. Of course you wouldn't be able to go get it from the buyer, but do you have a friend or family member who could go retrieve the item if you found a good deal?

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

28 minutes ago, F00lishsn0wman said:

gaming pc for $160

Near scam price territory. A singular part often costs that much let alone a full system.

What graphics settings and resolution are you playing on?

Is it the DDR4 version of the 1030 or DDR5 version?

What's the CPU model itself?

Are you playing on a HDD?

1030 should be able to do like low 50's at 720p if the rest of the stuff is decent.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

2 minutes ago, venomtail said:

Near scam price territory. A singular part often costs that much let alone a full system.

Well, the scam would be if the seller called the Optiplex a "gaming PC." But buying an office PC like that and sticking a low-end GPU in it is a very common strategy for people trying to get into PC gaming without paying much.

I must say that $160 for an Optiplex 3020, if this purchase was recent, is a bit of a rip as that's 4th-gen Intel and you can get newer ones for less, but what's done is done. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Sorry to hear you're having this issue.

This computer is not able to handle these games.

The Cheapest and easiest way to play GTA V and RDR2 at a playable framerate is to pick up a console and console copy of each game.

11 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Well, the scam would be if the seller called the Optiplex a "gaming PC." But buying an office PC like that and sticking a low-end GPU in it is a very common strategy for people trying to get into PC gaming without paying much.

I must say that $160 for an Optiplex 3020, if this purchase was recent, is a bit of a rip as that's 4th-gen Intel and you can get newer ones for less, but what's done is done. 

Yes but he didn't buy just any Optiplex, he specifically bought a "Optiplex 3020 gaming" which is 1/3 a lie. Pre 2010 gaming maybe, not anything newer.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

11 minutes ago, whispous said:

Sorry to hear you're having this issue.

This computer is not able to handle these games.

The Cheapest and easiest way to play GTA V and RDR2 at a playable framerate is to pick up a console and console copy of each game.

He's not playing RDR2. He's playing the Switch re-release of the original RDR, on Yuzu emulator. 

3 minutes ago, Middcore said:

He's not playing RDR2. He's playing the Switch re-release of the original RDR, on Yuzu emulator. 

Then playing RDR1 will be even cheaper to achieve with a second hand old console 🙂

1 hour ago, Middcore said:

yeah... but im not sure if that makes it better or worse tbh ...

2 hours ago, F00lishsn0wman said:

dell optiplex 3020 gaming pc for $160 it has an Intel core i5 

that's the problem,  emulation is very cpu intensive,  i don't think this cpu can keep up, at all.

you would probably better off with some ~$400 ali express "gaming pc", but even that's a crapshot (depends on actual specs obviously,  but some of them are decent enough) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

20 hours ago, F00lishsn0wman said:

Hello I'm 41 years old in in school for software Developer, also I'm a spinal cord injury patient I'm in bed almost 24 hours a day I don't know really how much longer I have but I love playing pc games that is what makes me happy I bought a dell optiplex 3020 gaming pc for $160 it has an Intel core i5 at 3.30 ghz and 16 gb of ddr3 ram it also came with a Nividia graphic card a 1030t 2gb What is the best performance settings make it more smoother game play. When I play GTA 5 my character goes so slow then from time to time there wil be a line in the middle of the screen. Kinda looks like the game is running faster than the system. I use yuzu emulator also when i play red dead redemption the frames per second makes me wanna throw up. My character in the game when i move the camera around the frames per second are bad the system cant keep up. What can i do to fix this i don't have alot of money i live off ssi. I can't really afford anything right now but this is what I love to do please help please help guys today is my bday this would make me so happy to figure this out!

The line in the middle of the screen is a phenomenon called tearing. It happens because the game is running either faster or slower than the monitors refresh rate, which is likely to be 60 hz. Vsync was invented to remedy this problem. Turn it on in the gta v graphics settings. If that doesn't work, there is likely a global setting in the computers graphics control panel that overrides the in-game setting. Look around in the Nvidia control panel app on your pc, find Vsync there and turn it on. 

Note that Vsync has the side effect of up to 1 frame of added input lag. This is because modern games need an extra frame in what's called the framebuffer. The graphics card draws each frame pixel by pixel, line by line, from top left to bottom right. It tries rendering one full frame, if it's unable to render the full frame in time and let's say runs out of time at the middle of the frame before the next frame is to be rendered, it has to have a backup of a full frame to show, so that it can discard this failed, half-rendered frame. The backup is the previous frame. This input lag is why many people prefer to turn Vsync off and choose to live with the wobbly screen with tearing lines instead.

(There is also triple-buffering which saves up a couple frames more, further adding input lag but further reducing the risk of discarded frames).

There are modern workarounds to vsync, (gsync/enhanced sync/asynchronous fps limiting/freesync/FRTC/fast sync) but they make your graphics card run unessecarily hot and you still feel the stuttering because the render time varies. Just use vsync instead, as you're a casual gamer you'll most likely appreciate the smooth motion despite the little input lag.

Also, I can't recommend enough, playing this game using a controller. I play using an original Xbox controller from 2003, but I don't recommned this uness you want to mess with making it work. You can get either a wired X360 controller or a wireless one at flea markets, but the wireless ones need a reciever to work on pc. Any ps3 or ps4 controller should work over bluetooth or usb too, if you install the correct drivers.

something

On 12/5/2023 at 9:17 AM, venomtail said:

What graphics settings and resolution are you playing on?

Is it the DDR4 version of the 1030 or DDR5 version?

What's the CPU model itself?

Are you playing on a HDD?

1030 should be able to do like low 50's at 720p if the rest of the stuff is decent.

I'm playing on a ssd, my graphic card is a ddr5, my cpu is a intel core i5 3.30 mhz, can I ask you this question What are the best proforma cents setting I can put on my pc, and what are the best setting for my Nividia graphic card app?

3 minutes ago, F00lishsn0wman said:

I'm playing on a ssd, my graphic card is a ddr5, my cpu is a intel core i5 3.30 mhz, can I ask you this question What are the best proforma cents setting I can put on my pc, and what are the best setting for my Nividia graphic card app?

i5 what? One from 14 years ago or one from 2 months ago?

On 12/6/2023 at 6:02 AM, sevs said:

The line in the middle of the screen is a phenomenon called tearing. It happens because the game is running either faster or slower than the monitors refresh rate, which is likely to be 60 hz. Vsync was invented to remedy this problem. Turn it on in the gta v graphics settings. If that doesn't work, there is likely a global setting in the computers graphics control panel that overrides the in-game setting. Look around in the Nvidia control panel app on your pc, find Vsync there and turn it on. 

Note that Vsync has the side effect of up to 1 frame of added input lag. This is because modern games need an extra frame in what's called the framebuffer. The graphics card draws each frame pixel by pixel, line by line, from top left to bottom right. It tries rendering one full frame, if it's unable to render the full frame in time and let's say runs out of time at the middle of the frame before the next frame is to be rendered, it has to have a backup of a full frame to show, so that it can discard this failed, half-rendered frame. The backup is the previous frame. This input lag is why many people prefer to turn Vsync off and choose to live with the wobbly screen with tearing lines instead.

(There is also triple-buffering which saves up a couple frames more, further adding input lag but further reducing the risk of discarded frames).

There are modern workarounds to vsync, (gsync/enhanced sync/asynchronous fps limiting/freesync/FRTC/fast sync) but they make your graphics card run unessecarily hot and you still feel the stuttering because the render time varies. Just use vsync instead, as you're a casual gamer you'll most likely appreciate the smooth motion despite the little input lag.

Also, I can't recommend enough, playing this game using a controller. I play using an original Xbox controller from 2003, but I don't recommned this uness you want to mess with making it work. You can get either a wired X360 controller or a wireless one at flea markets, but the wireless ones need a reciever to work on pc. Any ps3 or ps4 controller should work over bluetooth or usb too, if you install the correct drivers.

May I ask you this question if you had my computer what are the best proformance settings I can put my computer on. And what Nividia setting can I apply on the Nividia app global settings? Or would I be better off downloading steam and just running my games through steam on my pc? Would that be a good option? Try playing the pc game Age of Wonders and watch the dragon flying around. On my pc it's like the video playing with the dragon on the title screen, my pc acts like it can't keep up. The title screen won't play smooth.

Just now, venomtail said:

i5 what? One from 14 years ago or one from 2 months ago?

17019593439336706617327115879796.jpg

17019594013018726085810074932697.jpg

17019594193901732207248260726206.jpg

17019594502668172787328054362462.jpg

Would I be better off with adding more ram and a graphic card with 8gb instead of 2gb?

A 1050 Ti would be a big upgrade from the 1030 and likely doable on your system.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/gigabyte-gtx-1050-ti-oc-low-profile.b4181

Radical Radeon: 5800X3D . 32GB CL14 3800 . Asrock Extreme 4 . RX 7900 XT . Silicon Power 4TB SATA + Crucial P5 2TB NVME . Enermax Revolution D.F 850W . Corsair Obsidian 1000D

Interface: Coolermaster CK-270 + XTRFY MZ1 . Astroo A40 + Mixamp Pro . Wharfdale Diamond 11.0 + SMSL A300

Displays: Zowie XL2746S 240hz Dyac+ (182hz 1350VT / perfect motion clarity) . Viewsonic XG270 165hz VA . LG 4K 60hz 27UL550P

Software: Windows 11 Pro . Kaspersky AV, Mullvad, Lightshot, LibreOffice, GIMP, Davinici Resolve  + Linux Fedora (Gaming)

1 hour ago, F00lishsn0wman said:

Would I be better off with adding more ram and a graphic card with 8gb instead of 2gb?

A better graphics card will make a bigger difference than more RAM. Your options are only limited by your power supply, physical form factor (you need a half height card unless you have a full size tower), and of course budget.

Generally speaking, a 1050ti is about the best card you can drop into an otherwise stock OEM office desktop.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

While 1050TI is serviceable it no longer is at the juicy used price range of price to performance. 5600Xt, 5700XT, 1080, 1080TI's are taking that sweetspot of old tech fast enough to be relevant and cheap enough to be affordable. Around $100 for used give take.

Just now, venomtail said:

While 1050TI is serviceable it no longer is at the juicy used price range of price to performance. 5600Xt, 5700XT, 1080, 1080TI's are taking that sweetspot of old tech fast enough to be relevant and cheap enough to be affordable. Around $100 for used give take.

Power consumption though. It's a Dell OptiPlex and needs half height GPU.

Radical Radeon: 5800X3D . 32GB CL14 3800 . Asrock Extreme 4 . RX 7900 XT . Silicon Power 4TB SATA + Crucial P5 2TB NVME . Enermax Revolution D.F 850W . Corsair Obsidian 1000D

Interface: Coolermaster CK-270 + XTRFY MZ1 . Astroo A40 + Mixamp Pro . Wharfdale Diamond 11.0 + SMSL A300

Displays: Zowie XL2746S 240hz Dyac+ (182hz 1350VT / perfect motion clarity) . Viewsonic XG270 165hz VA . LG 4K 60hz 27UL550P

Software: Windows 11 Pro . Kaspersky AV, Mullvad, Lightshot, LibreOffice, GIMP, Davinici Resolve  + Linux Fedora (Gaming)

Thank you everyone for helping me. It really means alot! What is a half height gpu?

41 minutes ago, F00lishsn0wman said:

Thank you everyone for helping me. It really means alot! What is a half height gpu?

they probably mean low profile,  something like this.

20231208_054111.thumb.png.d2cea3af3b1e736676a7057212f213c6.png

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer