PC Shutdown randomly when gaming

pescaru

Hello,

My PC shutdown instantly (like in a power outage), after playing some Steam games.

If I would try to turn it on again, fans starts spinning, but I get no video output.

Then, if I shutdown the PSU from the button, drain all PC current from the turn on button, switch again the PSU button, and start the PC, it would work. But, after gaming a few minutes/hours later, it would shutdown instantly again.

I have a Asus ROG Strix 850W PSU (bought from resealed with 30% off price), which technically, should hold an RX 6750XT and a Ryzen 7 5700G with no difficulties.

Who do you think is the culprit ?

Thank you for your time!

Also, I checked the temperatures while gaming, and they look fine for the GPU (max: 75-80 Celsius), and for the CPU (max: 60-70 Celsius).

Also, I wanted to mention that the PSU (bought from resealed) and the GPU (bought as new) were an upgrade. Before this upgrade, I had no such issue

@pescaru Do the Windows event logs say something? Anything weird in task manager (unlikely)? Reset your BIOS. Anything done to power or voltages to CPU or GPU? Try memory testing to see RAM is ok and not corrupted. Btw, since when did this start? That PSU might have something to do.

Microsoft owns my soul.

Also, Dell is evil, but HP kinda nice.

2 hours ago, Gat Pelsinger said:

@pescaru Do the Windows event logs say something? Anything weird in task manager (unlikely)? Reset your BIOS. Anything done to power or voltages to CPU or GPU? Try memory testing to see RAM is ok and not corrupted. Btw, since when did this start? That PSU might have something to do.

Hello, thank you for your reply!

Do the Windows event logs say something?

Windows Logs: "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

!!Important mention: all Critical/Error/Warning logs appear after turning the PC back on. Before the shutdown, there is no log

Anything weird in task manager (unlikely)?

Not really, and I have an active subscription of Bitdefender AV, since I installed the OS. Also, I am aware of my computer security

Anything done to power or voltages to CPU or GPU?

No, I haven't changed any clocks/voltages, neither to the CPU or the GPU. The only thing I've done in BIOS is activating the XMP option for the RAM (@3200MHz), and virtualization

Btw, since when did this start?

I'm pretty sure that it started since I upgraded my PC with the resealed PSU that I mentioned (Asus ROG Strix 850W), and the GPU (XFX RX 6750XT)

@pescaru Try running a stress test on both the CPU and the GPU at the same time for maximum PSU load. Maybe even increase the voltages unless you thermal throttle but that is totally optional. Run the stress tests for a while and see if the PC crashes. If you have any PSU testing hardware, take a look.

You haven't told be if you reset the BIOS. You should try outright removing the CMOS battery and re-seating it. Don't enable XMP just yet, start playing your games. If everything is ok, then enable XMP. Also, check for BIOS updates as well.

Your new graphics card could also be the problem actually now that I think of it. Does your CPU have integrated graphics? If so, run the system on it for a while and see if it crashes. Which card did you have before? If you still have that, use it and see if the system crashes with it.

I think either the PSU, or the graphics card have the problem. If they are replaceable, you should certainly consider it if the problems are solved.

Microsoft owns my soul.

Also, Dell is evil, but HP kinda nice.