Jump to content

Not the power PCs others are building, but any advice would be appreciated.

Looniper

Others are posting all of these top tier rigs... makes mine so out of place.
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Looniper/saved/pw3zvK
A very basic 5500+6600 AMD setup with 16 Gigs of RAM and a 1TB M.2 (Gen4x4)

Because I am only allowed by the state to keep $50/month of my income (regardless of how much it actually is).. . hey, I have to upgrade my own eventually..  I've had to cut this down to under $700. (I have a spare Win10 home pro key, and he will be using it at a fixed location, using a high-end television for the monitor... he doesn't play FPS games so it won't matter really)

I'm wondering if there is anything here to be worried about, or any known conflicts that I failed to find.  I've spent 2 weeks digging through parts to try to get something that was affordable and would still actually Play most of the new games for the next year or two.
I started with an Intel rig, using an RTX 4080 and 32 gigs... and ended up here. 

[ Edit : This is to replace a Laptop my brother is using for gaming, that is over a decade old and can barely run Valheim ]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Looniper said:

Others are posting all of these top tier rigs... makes mine so out of place.
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Looniper/saved/pw3zvK
A very basic 5500+6600 AMD setup with 16 Gigs of RAM and a 1TB M.2 (Gen4x4)

Because I am only allowed by the state to keep $50/month of my income (regardless of how much it actually is).. . hey, I have to upgrade my own eventually..  I've had to cut this down to under $700. (I have a spare Win10 home pro key, and he will be using it at a fixed location, using a high-end television for the monitor... he doesn't play FPS games so it won't matter really)

I'm wondering if there is anything here to be worried about, or any known conflicts that I failed to find.  I've spent 2 weeks digging through parts to try to get something that was affordable and would still actually Play most of the new games for the next year or two.
I started with an Intel rig, using an RTX 4080 and 32 gigs... and ended up here. 

[ Edit : This is to replace a Laptop my brother is using for gaming, that is over a decade old and can barely run Valheim ]

No rig is out of place.  Stop that line of thinking.

 

Is this rig built or about to be?  You're in Build Logs forum, so that is where complete builds go.

 

I think we can do a little better for the $700 though.  @filpo posted a good one for the UK under 600 pounds with a 5600.  Which is better than the 5500.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

 

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh C / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

 

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

 

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

 

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

 

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

 

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

 

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

 

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Looniper said:

Others are posting all of these top tier rigs... makes mine so out of place.

Dude just don't give a shit. If the compter gets the job done it's an excellent machine.

 

So couple options first starting with a overbudget base:

 

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dNQpmD

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($129.98 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler  ($33.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4/ac ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Silicon Power GAMING 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($32.97 @ Amazon)
Storage: MSI SPATIUM M461 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($51.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: ASRock Radeon RX6700XT CLD 12G Radeon RX 6700 XT 12 GB Video Card  ($299.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse G300A (3 Fan) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: MSI MAG A650BN 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($65.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $754.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-30 16:06 EST-0500

 

If you can save one more month I'd highly recommend this one. You can even drop the cooler and use stock then it's 25$ over budget.

You can actually make it fit by getting a used case for free locally. It's very common. Just make it have some front mesh so there can be airflow.

 

If that is absolutely not an option replace the gpu either for a used one or a 6600xt/6650xt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dedayog said:

Is this rig built or about to be?  You're in Build Logs forum, so that is where complete builds go.

I think we can do a little better for the $700 though.  @filpo posted a good one for the UK under 600 pounds with a 5600.  Which is better than the 5500.

Oh heck!.   I read the post rules.  I didn't notice anything about them being completed.   I assumed planning was part of logging...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dNQpmD

Total: $754.79
 

If you can save one more month I'd highly recommend this one. You can even drop the cooler and use stock then it's 25$ over budget.

You can actually make it fit by getting a used case for free locally. It's very common. Just make it have some front mesh so there can be airflow.

 

If that is absolutely not an option replace the gpu either for a used one or a 6600xt/6650xt.

Thanks for the link.
I liked the 6700 XT too, but I checked footage of it running games... and they tended toward 200W draw and ran at 60c+
Is 60c safe these days?   Doesn't it significantly reduce the life span of the GPU?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Looniper said:

Thanks for the link.
I liked the 6700 XT too, but I checked footage of it running games... and they tended toward 200W draw and ran at 60c+
Is 60c safe these days?   Doesn't it significantly reduce the life span of the GPU?

God, 60c is ice cold.  My 1080Ti runs at 84c all day every day 🙂

 

200w draw is nothing really.  GPUs are the main power users, and if you have a 500w+ PSU, you have plenty for everything else.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

 

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh C / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

 

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

 

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

 

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

 

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

 

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

 

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

 

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Looniper said:

Thanks for the link.
I liked the 6700 XT too, but I checked footage of it running games... and they tended toward 200W draw and ran at 60c+
Is 60c safe these days?   Doesn't it significantly reduce the life span of the GPU?

60c is ice cold for gpu's since like 15 years or so?

 

gpu's these days have a built in hard cap. They auto boost till they either reach max power or temp cap. The temp cap is WELL BELOW damaging max.

 

200w is very normal too

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, jaslion said:

60c is ice cold for gpu's since like 15 years or so?

 

gpu's these days have a built in hard cap. They auto boost till they either reach max power or temp cap. The temp cap is WELL BELOW damaging max.

 

200w is very normal too

Sorry for the late response.
Thank you for the list, and the information.

I'm not sure where I got the 60c stuck in my head.  It probably  hasn't been a choke temp since the celeron.  I know the Pentium IIs were melting at 95W so they rethought the whole thing and rolled out the Dual Cores at 85W.  I don't know the temps they were dealing with.

I wish of all the times to have a prig running algorithms hadn't pegged my card and got it cancelled the Week running in to Cyber monday.   Otherwise I'm on a 2060 (not TI) which actually still chugs along just fine, even at high settings on most things, but the CPU (i5 6600K) just doesn't cut it.

Depending on how well this works, I think my next goal is the same board and CPU to bump my own, then I'll work on a newer GPU.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×