MPG A1000G PCIE5 - Low +12V value ? Should I worry ?

OrpheuS_

Yo !

I just came across a bit of a low value for the +12V rail while under load (playing BG3) and I wanted to know if I should start to worry ?

I've never seen such a low value before as they usually hover between 11.95 and 12 but rarely do they go below that.

The +3.3V looks quite low as well at 3.23, never hitting the full 3.3V value.

PSU MPG A1000G PCIE5 ATX 3.0

MOBO : MSI Pro Z790-A WiFi

CPU : 13700K

GPU : 4090 Suprim X

image.png.fad241bcace1131986ce509b89c8763d.png

Any thoughts ?

Let me know ! Thanks.

On 11/27/2023 at 12:48 AM, OrpheuS_ said:

Yo !

I just came across a bit of a low value for the +12V rail while under load (playing BG3) and I wanted to know if I should start to worry ?

I've never seen such a low value before as they usually hover between 11.95 and 12 but rarely do they go below that.

The +3.3V looks quite low as well at 3.23, never hitting the full 3.3V value.

PSU MPG A1000G PCIE5 ATX 3.0

MOBO : MSI Pro Z790-A WiFi

CPU : 13700K

GPU : 4090 Suprim X

image.png.fad241bcace1131986ce509b89c8763d.png

Any thoughts ?

Let me know ! Thanks.

It is nothing to worry about.

The weird thing is that this exact value returns sometimes and there's nothing in between. It's either 12V+ or exactly 11.904V. It's the case right now as well.

I have extension cables for ATX and CPU power, the GPU is directly connected to the PSU.

I have no idea why it randomly drops to this value here, it's not a daily occurence thing but it happens sometimes even if I'm not in game.

If it's nothing to worry about I'm somewhat reassured but shouldn't the 12V rail keep a consistant 12V value ? Or just slightly below ?

I feel like 11.90 is starting to get on the low side.

3 hours ago, OrpheuS_ said:

The weird thing is that this exact value returns sometimes and there's nothing in between. It's either 12V+ or exactly 11.904V. It's the case right now as well.

I have extension cables for ATX and CPU power, the GPU is directly connected to the PSU.

I have no idea why it randomly drops to this value here, it's not a daily occurence thing but it happens sometimes even if I'm not in game.

If it's nothing to worry about I'm somewhat reassured but shouldn't the 12V rail keep a consistant 12V value ? Or just slightly below ?

I feel like 11.90 is starting to get on the low side.

The ATX12V Power Supply Design Guide states that the +12V rail must not drop below +11.40 Volts and must not rise higher than +12.60 Volts.

Your +11.904 V minimum and +12.096 V maximum is within ATX12V specs.

And that's reassuring for sure, I was just curious about the reason why it drops randomly to that specific value instead of keeping a steady 12V.

35 minutes ago, OrpheuS_ said:

And that's reassuring for sure, I was just curious about the reason why it drops randomly to that specific value instead of keeping a steady 12V.

Its the nature of a AC to DC power supply and most electrical equipment including generators. There's a lot of variables, including the Vac from the wall that can cause fluctuations. Its taking that Vac, rectifying it to ripple DC, then smoothing it out as best as possible. There's also the scenario where when you fire up a game and your RTX 4090 goes from 100W to 450W, it'll cause a dip in that 12V rail from the spike in power draw. Usually putting a load on an electrical machine causes an increase in 'torque' that affects its output, for a mechanical analogy that's close enough, its similar to going up gears that drops your RPM (not 1:1, but close enough analogy).

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

11 hours ago, OrpheuS_ said:

Extensions add more resistance and lower the voltage.