asger-p

Hi

Is there anyway to lower the idle power consumption of this pc:

Intel Core i5-14600KF
MSI PRO Z790-A WIFI
DDR5-Lexar 6400 2 x 16GB
Inno3D NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060
Nmve SSD XPG GAMMIX S70 BLADE

The idle power consumption is at the moment 106W and i think that's HUGE.

Can something be don in bios or ?

Extra info: the Watt is measured at the wall and it is only the PC, no screen.
and PSP is a Be Quiet Pure Power 11 600W CM 80+Gold

Best regards

Asger

Edited by asger-p

1 minute ago, asger-p said:

Hi

Intel Core i5-14600KF
MSI PRO Z790-A WIFI
DDR5-Lexar 6400 2 x 16GB

Best regards

Asger

12600K is supposed to use that power, and isn't really an efficient chip power wise

Think you can disable all OC/Boost and limit it to 65W but then you could have gotten a 12400...

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

3 minutes ago, asger-p said:

Hi

Intel Core i5-14600KF
MSI PRO Z790-A WIFI
DDR5-Lexar 6400 2 x 16GB

Best regards

Asger

Check the power plan and see if its on Performance.  Put it to Balance or power saver.
image.png.17ff66eb206616360a122fc8bfe4ce93.png

Yep, Windows power plan to power saver will make quite a significant difference. In performance/responsiveness too though.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

You can probably undervolt that gpu. It's easy.

You can probably undervolt that cpu slightly. I did mine by changing the cpu lite load mode from 12 to 10 in the bios. You can probably do exactly that too.

I'm willing to swim against the current.

36 minutes ago, asger-p said:

Hi

Intel Core i5-14600KF
MSI PRO Z790-A WIFI
DDR5-Lexar 6400 2 x 16GB

Best regards

Asger

Hey, how are you measuring that? If you mean out of the wall socket then that's normal for high end system depending on what PSU you have. But you have very efficient chips and 100w from the wall is pretty much as low as you can get for a desktop PC.

Both the 13/14th gen and the RTX40 are very efficient and idle at very low. You CPU should idle at below 10w, even be able to type comments here and brows and still be under 10w. Your GPU should be able to idle at around 20w with 3 monitors and under 20w with one monitor. so overall that'll be under 40w at all times but then other factors in your PC overall will bump that up to 100w or so from the wall.

In contrast with somethng like the 7900x+7900XTX hooked up to 3 monitors you could be looking at +200w idle on the same PC.

Also, setting the power plan in windows to any other plans, even "power saving", or undervolting is not going to affect anything or change your entire PC's idle power draw from the wall to below 100w. What I'm saying is that, 100w is just the lowest cost of doing business. Turn off your extra monitors, and set a more aggressive time to sleep duration instead to save power.

31 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Yep, Windows power plan to power saver will make quite a significant difference.

Have you actually tried this tho? I've done a lot of tests and with a 13900KF the PC pulls the exact same from the wall in all power plans on idle. From the "Ultimate performance" to "Power saver" there is virtually no difference in GPU/CPU idle power draw in HWinfo or the watt meter from the wall. Power saver on reduces power draw during higher loads by limiting the CPU.

10 minutes ago, Jon-Slow said:

Hey, how are you measuring that? If you mean out of the wall socket then that's normal for high end system depending on what PSU you have. But you have very efficient chips and 100w from the wall is pretty much as low as you can get for a desktop PC.

Both the 13/14th gen and the RTX40 are very efficient and idle at very low. You CPU should idle at below 10w, even be able to type comments here and brows and still be under 10w. Your GPU should be able to idle at around 20w with 3 monitors and under 20w with one monitor. so overall that'll be under 40w at all times but then other factors in your PC overall will bump that up to 100w or so from the wall.

In contrast with somethng like the 7900x+7900XTX hooked up to 3 monitors you could be looking at +200w idle on the same PC.

Also, setting the power plan in windows to any other plans, even "power saving", or undervolting is not going to affect anything or change your entire PC's idle power draw from the wall to below 100w. What I'm saying is that, 100w is just the lowest cost of doing business. Turn off your extra monitors, and set a more aggressive time to sleep duration instead to save power.

The OP's idle really isn't all that great. With my monitor, speakers, PC, Precision 3420, and M1 Mac Mini (which is folding) my wall power draw is 170. If I take the monitor out of the equation we're looking at 115-120. I somewhat aggressively undervolted everything, actually gained performance, and got my system-only draw to go from just over 100 down to the mid 80s at idle.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

22 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

The OP's idle really isn't all that great. With my monitor, speakers, PC, Precision 3420, and M1 Mac Mini (which is folding) my wall power draw is 170. If I take the monitor out of the equation we're looking at 115-120. I somewhat aggressively undervolted everything, actually gained performance, and got my system-only draw to go from just over 100 down to the mid 80s at idle.

I think that could depend on your PSU's efficiency, but with aggressive undervolt you're still getting mid 80s which is what I also get, and which is also not far from what the OP is getting. If I leave both the CPU and GPU with no undervolt then I get 100w. On a PC with a corsair HX1200, 13900KF, and a 4080. I could unplug all the monitors, speakers and all wires from the back of the motherboard and still just be at mid 90s. It's all withing a 20w-30w difference and I think that could just be situational and the specific PSU efficiency.

59 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Check the power plan and see if its on Performance.  Put it to Balance or power saver.

Thanks for your answer.

It is in balanced, I tried Power Saver, but that just cut down the max of P-Cores to below that of the E-Cores, but it does nothing to the idle wattage. 

35 minutes ago, Jon-Slow said:

Thanks for your answer.

If this was including monitors I would not have asked the question, but this is ONLY the pc with the items shown in the OP, and a + gold power supply.

2 minutes ago, asger-p said:

Thanks for your answer.

If this was including monitors I would not have asked the question, but this is ONLY the pc with the items shown in the OP, and a + gold power supply.

Yeah, I meant you might save more power that way. around a 100w is normal based on what wattage PSU you have and what efficiency it has and so on, for a system like yours. In my experience no amount of undervolting and power limiting is going to negate what the PSU pulls from the wall at the lowest and idle. That's all just based on my personal experience and testing.

2 hours ago, leclod said:

I did mine by changing the cpu lite load mode from 12 to 10 in the bios.

Thanks for your answer.
Lite load control is set to normal and lite load is set to auto and in grey it shows that mode = 9, so I guess there isn't much to get there either.

3 hours ago, Jon-Slow said:

Have you actually tried this tho? I've done a lot of tests and with a 13900KF the PC pulls the exact same from the wall in all power plans on idle. From the "Ultimate performance" to "Power saver" there is virtually no difference in GPU/CPU idle power draw in HWinfo or the watt meter from the wall. Power saver on reduces power draw during higher loads by limiting the CPU.

Yes, very significant here. Idle package power goes from about 25W in "normal" to about 17W in power save plan, and about 45W in max performance.

image.png.b0072d0b08d9f013db208941045760e1.png

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

7 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Yes, very significant here. Idle package power goes from about 25W in "normal" to about 17W in power save plan, and about 45W in max performance.

I assume this is your 13900K? I have a 13900KF here that idles at one digit regardless of the power plan, counting from the same CPU package power. I have set  a slightly lower voltage for the processor as well tho at under 1.3v. But still, seems like a big difference.

12 hours ago, Jon-Slow said:

Yeah, I meant you might save more power that way. around a 100w is normal based on what wattage PSU you have and what efficiency it has and so on, for a system like yours. In my experience no amount of undervolting and power limiting is going to negate what the PSU pulls from the wall at the lowest and idle. That's all just based on my personal experience and testing.

??? maybe for intel, but my pc with a 5800x3D uses just like ~55w in idle...

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

??? maybe for intel, but my pc with a 5800x3D uses just like ~55w in idle...

13/14th gen can idle at single digit, I doubt the 5800X3D is doing that.( The video is only meant to show that Intel is going to single digit, I know the 7900x is not the same as 5800x3d)

Are you measuring 55w from the wall with a smart outlet or a watte meter, Or are you adding up numbers from HWinfo? Because from the wall the idle will be the same as everyone else at around 100w more or less depending on what PSU you have. HWinfo might show you that your CPU and GPU are using less than 20w on idle together, but your PSU will still draw several times that from the wall.

37 minutes ago, Jon-Slow said:

from the wall.

i said literally "my pc uses"

its 66 "from wall" and 55 actual usage.

100 is RIDICULOUS and definitely an intel thing, not my fault lol.

fyi a good quality psu will tell you all this shi, more precisely than a "wall-ometer" from Walmart  🙃

Screenshot(1365).thumb.png.d67c9e1f5d0c84dcd4e03aaec0840fa8.png

this isnt even idle this is with several videos running in chrome..............

no offense but i think you should lay off the youtube 😅

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

i said literally "my pc uses"

its 66 "from wall" and 55 actual usage.

100 is RIDICULOUS and definitely an intel thing, not my fault lol.

fyi a good quality psu will tell you all this shi, more precisely than a "wall-ometer" from Walmart  🙃

Screenshot(1365).thumb.png.d67c9e1f5d0c84dcd4e03aaec0840fa8.png

this isnt even idle this is with several videos running in chrome..............

no offense but i think you should lay off the youtube 😅

You're taking this very personally... bye

8 minutes ago, Jon-Slow said:

You're taking this very personally... bye

i don't,  i just don't like when people confront  me and others with made up "facts" that aren't true.  i think its important to correct these things, as thats how internet myths and misinterpretations happen. you don't have to agree with it   but its kinda common knowledge that most modern pc don't draw "100w" while idle... 

you're the one taking this personally,  otherwise you'd just admit of being "maybe" wrong in face of the evidence i provided...  bye 👋 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

There is definitely something NOT right, according to this picture I found on Reddit:  

8589xe45tpca1.webp.2ca03291232199732a6e46572c7e88db.webp

According to this, a system with i5-13600 should draw 67W idle, 106W one thread load, and 267W all threads load. When I run Cinebench all cores my PC draw 530W, I assume that is with almost no GPU load, so I kind of fear if I at one time use both CPU and GPU at full power, then my 600W PSU might not be enough. 

Link to source: 

as i already said it seems pretty obvious (and is known) that intels just use a lot of power in comparison,  its their "feature" ,fuck the environment!(tm)

but  still pretty sure you could reduce it by turning off all turbo boost stuff,  using power saving plans etc, i just couldn't tell you exactly, because the last intel i had was a pentium 1 lol... it just never made sense to me when amd exists... my previous cpu before ryzen was an Athlon x64 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

i also have to wonder,  why, if power consumption is important to you, WHY you bought an intel!? 🤣

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

21 hours ago, asger-p said:

Extra info: the Watt is measured at the wall

this isnt reliable btw, unless you use professional equipment ($$$)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, asger-p said:

When I run Cinebench all cores my PC draw 530W, I assume that is with almost no GPU load, so I kind of fear if I at one time use both CPU and GPU at full power, then my 600W PSU might not be enough. 

no, it probably wont. my pc uses ~505w when running cinebench + Prime95...

and my cpu uses significantly less power (around 130w MAX)

BASICALLY outside of buying a better cpu, the only real solution you have is buying like a 750w PLATINUM PSU

(i recommend corsair rmx, or superflower leadex III) 

ps: if you can find one, get a corsair RMI, that cuts out the whole cheapo-watto-meter nonsense  😉

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

10 hours ago, Jon-Slow said:

I assume this is your 13900K? I have a 13900KF here that idles at one digit regardless of the power plan, counting from the same CPU package power. I have set  a slightly lower voltage for the processor as well tho at under 1.3v. But still, seems like a big difference.

Yep. Never spent time trying to tweak it, probably should. Asus are known to have very inefficient defaults.

Also "idle" for me still has 20ish programs open, not doing much so it'll still be ~5-10% CPU use, not 0-1% as in "clean boot with no startup apps".

7 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

as i already said it seems pretty obvious (and is known) that intels just use a lot of power in comparison,  its their "feature"

The graph just above your post shows higher idle and low load consumption on a Ryzen 7900X/7950X than 13900K 🤷‍♂️

Stop the brand argument, it's way more complicated than that, as usual it's not "all of brand X", it's "specific product", and more impartantly the mobo you use and its defaults/possible tuning are well known for having massive impact on consumption.

F@H

GPD Win 2