Speak Configuration

MetaDrow

So I was messing around with the speaker configuration in Realtek HD Audio Manager between 5.1and stereo as well as changing plugs. I'm just a little confused on why it sounds a certain way on certain configurations, I have a Logitech z506 (I kind of regret these, popping sound on centre speaker) for watching youtube and general use.

5.1 with everything plugged in: Music is on running 2 speakers and sub, I get this, music is only 2.0 or 2.1 channels; gaming is set on surround, ok; youtube playing on all speakers, ok?

2.1 with everything plugged in: Everything is set only on 2.1, ok.

5.1 or 2.1 with just one 3.5mm (green): Music plays on all speakers but rear speakers have no vocals and centre sound like its acting as bass? Youtube is on 2.1 + centre?

I kind of like the fuller sound but youtube has a bit of distortion on rear but is this suppose to happen? Also what speakers would be better if I can't get rid of the popping sound or if Logitech can't help me? Something around the same price point would be nice ($80-$150)

@MetaDrow

Did you "Configure Speakers" in the Playback Devices panel?

8S0mM.png

surround_sound_hs_win7_2.jpg

@ShearMe 

This is your chance to share your wisdom :D

Please don't do that.

I used the Realtek HD Audio Manager, it does the same thing.

I used the Realtek HD Audio Manager, it does the same thing.

Are you sure? :^)

Are there any "Fill Speakers" setting enabled? 

Are you sure? :^)

Are there any "Fill Speakers" setting enabled? 

I don't see any option like that, if "Fill Speakers" was on wouldn't I also hear vocals from the rear speakers and youtube be the same as playing music? What I'm asking is, are my speakers suppose to be producing sound like this when I only have one 3.5mm plugged in?

5.1 or 2.1 with just one 3.5mm (green): Music plays on all speakers but rear speakers have no vocals and centre sound like its acting as bass? Youtube is on 2.1 + centre?

I kind of like the fuller sound but youtube has a bit of distortion on rear but is this suppose to happen? Also what speakers would be better if I can't get rid of the popping sound or if Logitech can't help me? Something around the same price point would be nice ($80-$150)

I don't see any option like that, if "Fill Speakers" was on wouldn't I also hear vocals from the rear speakers and youtube be the same as playing music? What I'm asking is, are my speakers suppose to be producing sound like this when I only have one 3.5mm plugged in?

No, that's definitely your speakers trying to fill in from a stereo signal. What confuses me is "5.1 with everything plugged in: Music is on running 2 speakers and sub, I get this, music is only 2.0 or 2.1 channels; gaming is set on surround, ok; youtube playing on all speakers, ok" Doesn't make sense to me because youtube is stereo only. Music only plays 2.0 or 2.1 because your music files are only in stereo, but your game works on all channels because it's rendering in real time and can create as little or as much as needed.

Sorry I'm not being super helpful here - kind of why I didn't post before being tagged.

No, that's definitely your speakers trying to fill in from a stereo signal. What confuses me is "5.1 with everything plugged in: Music is on running 2 speakers and sub, I get this, music is only 2.0 or 2.1 channels; gaming is set on surround, ok; youtube playing on all speakers, ok" Doesn't make sense to me because youtube is stereo only. Music only plays 2.0 or 2.1 because your music files are only in stereo, but your game works on all channels because it's rendering in real time and can create as little or as much as needed.

Sorry I'm not being super helpful here - kind of why I didn't post before being tagged.

I understand that music is only 2.0 or 2.1 and games can be set either way to render, but did not know youtube was stereo only. If it's my speakers trying to fill in from stereo I guess that makes sense why rears have no vocals, well as long as Windows or my on-board isn't messed up then that's fine.