This is a simple question, but i cant find the answer ANYWHERE.

Will an mSATA SSD work properly if put into a PCIe 1x slot? 

I will be buying a new laptop for college and i want to install an mSATA SSD into it, but i need a way of cloning the laptop HDD onto that SSD to keep the OS without having to buy Win8 again. 

@Samzplourde

No, but you can get an adapter that will slot into the pcie x1 slot allowing you to connect your msata ssd.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

http://www.amazon.com/Micro-SATA-Cables--adapter-Drives/dp/B002P6PBAQ/ref=sr_1_16

Would that work? Im sorta trying to avoid buying that, im on a bit of a budget. 

Yeah that should work.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

that doesn't look like a pcie adapter. To me it looks more like the connector for a slim dvd drive to a standard dvd drive. I'm not certain since i've never actually used a slim dvd or msata, but that's what i see.

that doesn't look like a pcie adapter. To me it looks more like the connector for a slim dvd drive to a standard dvd drive. I'm not certain since i've never actually used a slim dvd or msata, but that's what i see.

That adapter is a mSATA to SATA + Power adapter

Not a pci-e adapter like he was asking about.

That adapter is a mSATA to SATA + Power adapter

Not a pci-e adapter like he was asking about.

yes exactly, (thats what i thought except slim dvd vs msata)