Thinking about getting into playstation gaming, looking for some tips/ stuff to avoid

Cocococo
Go to solution Solved by demonix00,

The slim is just a smaller version of the original PS4 while the PS4 Pro has a lot more graphics horsepower (PS4 is 1.84Tflops where the PS4 Pro is 4.20Tflops) and has 4K support (for games as it doesn't have a 4K BD drive) as well as an extra USB3 port on the back.

Not going to tell a longwinded story about my life gaming but i've always been on xbox, i have a fat PS2 with a few games on it (only bought for Gran Turismo 4 tbh) and a PS3 that has barely been used at all, i don't believe it is one with the PS2 chip but i'm interested in some of the obscure titles i occasionally see in used electronics shops. Right now i'm looking at getting myself a PS4 (PS5 are way too expensive and doesn't have enough exclusives to justify getting one) so i'm wondering how big the differences are between base PS4, slim and pro? (the price difference for a regular and a pro is around 60 usd if that's any help) Thanks in advance, i really want to try out the playstation side of games, especially bloodborne and god of war

I never owned a slim or pro, so I'm not 100% on what I'm about to say about them. The pro can enable higher performance but you'd have to check game support. I can't recall if it was universal or games had to specifically support it.

Assuming the slim/pro are the same as the standard, there's a user removable 2.5" HD in it as standard. Due to the way it works, you don't really gain much in load time if you replace it with a SSD for example, but you still can. I have a 480GB SSD in mine but I did that a long time ago when they're still expensive. Standard HD at the time was 500GB but later models went bigger. Depending on how many games you're thinking of installing, you might want to look at putting in a bigger capacity. If replacing with another HD check the thickness as it is limited. External storage is also possible.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Yeah i forgot to mention that all the models i'm looking at are 1tb storage, i'm just curious about performance differences

7 minutes ago, Cocococo said:

Yeah i forgot to mention that all the models i'm looking at are 1tb storage, i'm just curious about performance differences

Standard and slim are same. Pro does more. Example: https://www.gamesradar.com/ps4-pro-confirmed-games-list/

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

The slim is just a smaller version of the original PS4 while the PS4 Pro has a lot more graphics horsepower (PS4 is 1.84Tflops where the PS4 Pro is 4.20Tflops) and has 4K support (for games as it doesn't have a 4K BD drive) as well as an extra USB3 port on the back.

15 hours ago, Cocococo said:

Not going to tell a longwinded story about my life gaming but i've always been on xbox, i have a fat PS2 with a few games on it (only bought for Gran Turismo 4 tbh) and a PS3 that has barely been used at all, i don't believe it is one with the PS2 chip but i'm interested in some of the obscure titles i occasionally see in used electronics shops. Right now i'm looking at getting myself a PS4 (PS5 are way too expensive and doesn't have enough exclusives to justify getting one) so i'm wondering how big the differences are between base PS4, slim and pro? (the price difference for a regular and a pro is around 60 usd if that's any help) Thanks in advance, i really want to try out the playstation side of games, especially bloodborne and god of war

This how you can tell if it has support for PS2 games or not.

Look at the back of the unit and read the model, you'll see the serial number followed by the unit's model designation.

The ones that supports PS2 games are the "A" and "B" models only, no other models support PS2 gameplay.
An example model is CECHA01, that's one I have here.
Others may have a model name such as CECHK01 like another I have does, clearly not one that supports PS2 games.

However the ones that do will not play all PS2 games.
Some are perfectly fine, others are playable but do having issues playing them correctly and there are some these will not play at all as in it won't even recognize the game/disk, much less play the game. 

It has to do with the PS3's having to use a form of emulation even though it has a PS2 chip in it and that's because of the PS3 unit's firmware being different than a PS2 of course.
All PS3's however will play PSX (PS1) games without issue that I'm aware of.

If you're one that just has to have one that does, it's your call but overall it's not worth pursuing.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.