7800X3D vs 14700K

My current CPU & GPU are I5 12400F & 7800XT 

I been looking for a cpu that fits all my needs for around the 300-450$ price point. I play tons of FPS games and I also stream for hours on end. I been looking into a 7800x3d / i7 14700k if there’s any other options out there please let me know!!

What model of motherboard do you have? Do you know if you would be able to keep your current motherboard? Or is the VRM too weak to handle the 14700K?

9 minutes ago, Nuking said:

My current CPU & GPU are I5 12400F & 7800XT 

I been looking for a cpu that fits all my needs for around the 300-450$ price point. I play tons of FPS games and I also stream for hours on end. I been looking into a 7800x3d / i7 14700k if there’s any other options out there please let me know!!

I think all the benchmarks show that the 7800X3D is better in games. That said, considering you're already using an Intel platform it would be cheaper and easier (assuming your motherboard supports it) to just upgrade the CPU in your current system. Otherwise you'll need to buy a whole new motherboard and potentially ram (depending on whether or not yours is compatible with AMD systems) in order to go with the 7800x3D

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣄⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⠃⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣶⣶⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢠⡀⠐⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢸⣷⡄⠀⠣⣄⡀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⣿⣿⣦⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣦⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⡿⢛⡙⢻⠛⣉⢻⣉⢈⣹⣿⣿⠟⣉⢻⡏⢛⠙⣉⢻⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣇⠻⠃⣾⠸⠟⣸⣿⠈⣿⣿⣿⡀⠴⠞⡇⣾⡄⣿⠘⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣟⠛⣃⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

14 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

What model of motherboard do you have? Do you know if you would be able to keep your current motherboard? Or is the VRM too weak to handle the 14700K?

Depending on which cpu is better I was gonna buy all the new components to go with it because my current motherboard and vrm are not gonna be compatible with whichever one I pick but the current motherboard I have is a MAG B660M MORTAR WIFI DDR4

4 minutes ago, Inception9269 said:

I think all the benchmarks show that the 7800X3D is better in games. That said, considering you're already using an Intel platform it would be cheaper and easier (assuming your motherboard supports it) to just upgrade the CPU in your current system. Otherwise you'll need to buy a whole new motherboard and potentially ram (depending on whether or not yours is compatible with AMD systems) in order to go with the 7800x3D

I’m willing to spend more money if I have to just really looking for the right cpu that fits my needs my current motherboard is a “MAG B660M MORTAR WIFI DDR4“

4 minutes ago, Nuking said:

I’m willing to spend more money if I have to just really looking for the right cpu that fits my needs my current motherboard is a “MAG B660M MORTAR WIFI DDR4“

The B660M Mortar has a fairly decent VRM. In Hardware Unboxed's testing, it only reached 87C with an i9 12900K after an hour of looping Cinebench. That's not enough to do overclocking, but you can't overclock with the board anyway. It should be able to handle the i7 14700K, especially if you're not doing extended all-core workloads.

The DDR4 will reduce its gaming performance to an extent, but if you care about pricing, you'd be saving quite a bit of money by not needing to get DDR5 and a new motherboard.

If you do decide to just get a new motherboard and CPU, I'd probably go with the R7 7800X3D, as it's faster for gaming, uses less power, and is easier to cool.

3 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

The B660M Mortar has a fairly decent VRM. In Hardware Unboxed's testing, it only reached 87C with an i9 12900K after an hour of looping Cinebench. That's not enough to do overclocking, but you can't overclock with the board anyway. It should be able to handle the i7 14700K, especially if you're not doing extended all-core workloads.

The DDR4 will reduce its gaming performance to an extent, but if you care about pricing, you'd be saving quite a bit of money by not needing to get DDR5 and a new motherboard.

If you do decide to just get a new motherboard and CPU, I'd probably go with the R7 7800X3D, as it's faster for gaming, uses less power, and is easier to cool.

Do you have any motherboard and ddr5 recommendations that pair well with the 7800x3d? I’ll be looking into all the pricing and checking everything out thank you for your help!!

13 minutes ago, Nuking said:

A cheap z790 board like a gigabyte aorus elite should be pretty solid. You would need ddr5 though.

A 14700k and 7800x3d both are fast chips for gaming, but id choose intel because amd has more technical issues, like memory issues, basically no overclocking room, slow desktop ui, etc.

PC Specifications: Intel i9-14900KF, 5.9GHz all core locked, 5GHz ring, 1.45v Medium LLC, E-cores and HT disabled | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 + Thermal Grizzly contact frame | 2x16 G.Skill Trident Z5 7400MHz 34-44-44-34 1T 1.45v (Tuned Subtimings, Hynix A-Die) | Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX | Windows 10/11 EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Phanteks P400A (Black non-rgb version, Phanteks T30 fans 3 intake (On AIO), 1 exhaust) | SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIE 4.0 (Boot drive), Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SATA

Displays: MSI MAG 271QPX 1440p 360Hz 27" QD-OLED | LG UltraGear 27GP950-B, 4K 144Hz (@120hz) 27" IPS

Desktop Audio: STAX SR-007 MK2 Electrostatic Headphones | STAX SRM-400S Amp | Schiit Bifrost 2/64 (NOS mode, USB in, XLR out)

Mobile Audio: Sennheiser IE 900 IEMs using included 4.4mm cable | FiiO KA13 "Desktop mode" Disabled

Peripherals: Razer Huntsman V2 Full size wired with linear optical switch | Logitech G502 Hero

1 minute ago, Nuking said:

Do you have any motherboard and ddr5 recommendations that pair well with the 7800x3d? I’ll be looking into all the pricing and checking everything out thank you for your help!!

Just get a 13600k or something.

Plenty enough for gaming and for streaming you dont need more since all encoding is on the gpu

1 minute ago, rippy4500 said:

A cheap z790 board like a gigabyte aorus elite should be pretty solid. You would need ddr5 though.

A 14700k and 7800x3d both are fast chips for gaming, but id choose intel because amd has more technical issues, like memory issues, basically no overclocking room, slow desktop ui, etc.

Where are you even getting that from?

Also intel also has literally 0 oc room 😛

As for op keep it budget friendlt and just stay on your current socket wither of these is plenty good

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Where are you even getting that from?

Also intel also has literally 0 oc room 😛

Jayztwocents made a video about memory issues, and ive heard of people having windows be slow to navigate, things like explorer or other desktop apps not responding or taking a long time to load, even with chipset drivers installed.

My 14900kf is overclocked to 6ghz allcore and its definetly a good bit faster than stock, there is definetly room, and also intel can do way higher memory speeds than amd.

PC Specifications: Intel i9-14900KF, 5.9GHz all core locked, 5GHz ring, 1.45v Medium LLC, E-cores and HT disabled | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 + Thermal Grizzly contact frame | 2x16 G.Skill Trident Z5 7400MHz 34-44-44-34 1T 1.45v (Tuned Subtimings, Hynix A-Die) | Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX | Windows 10/11 EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Phanteks P400A (Black non-rgb version, Phanteks T30 fans 3 intake (On AIO), 1 exhaust) | SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIE 4.0 (Boot drive), Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SATA

Displays: MSI MAG 271QPX 1440p 360Hz 27" QD-OLED | LG UltraGear 27GP950-B, 4K 144Hz (@120hz) 27" IPS

Desktop Audio: STAX SR-007 MK2 Electrostatic Headphones | STAX SRM-400S Amp | Schiit Bifrost 2/64 (NOS mode, USB in, XLR out)

Mobile Audio: Sennheiser IE 900 IEMs using included 4.4mm cable | FiiO KA13 "Desktop mode" Disabled

Peripherals: Razer Huntsman V2 Full size wired with linear optical switch | Logitech G502 Hero

8 minutes ago, Nuking said:

Depending on what features you need, the best value B650 boards that can handle the 7800X3D are the Asrock B650M HDV/M.2, Gigabyte B650M DS3H, and Asrock B650M Pro RS WiFi

As for memory, I'd recommend a kit of 32GB of DDR5-6000 CL30 - get at least 2x16GB sticks, as 8GB sticks have a reduced effective bandwidth.

5 minutes ago, rippy4500 said:

My 14900kf is overclocked to 6ghz allcore and its definetly a good bit faster than stock, there is definetly room, and also intel can do way higher memory speeds than amd.

6ghz allcore ! you must have a massive cooler.

Did you do it by multiplier ?

Edited by leclod

I'm willing to swim against the current.

39 minutes ago, Nuking said:

I play tons of FPS games and I also stream for hours on end.

Is the 12400 really too slow for what you do? Sure, it isn't a new shiny, but 12th gen CPUs are still decent, maybe unless you're a competitive gamer who uses low settings/resolution.

29 minutes ago, Nuking said:

my current motherboard and vrm are not gonna be compatible with whichever one I pick but the current motherboard I have is a MAG B660M MORTAR WIFI DDR4

The Mortar has decent heatsinks, you could do a lot worse than this board. A 13600K/14600K should work fine in it, with the BIOS update being done with what you have now. You're only gaming, not doing CPU heavy work for hours, so it doesn't need to cope with e.g. 300 watts of load.

Just now, leclod said:

6ghz allcore ! you must have a massive cooler.

Its just a 360mm aio.

Just disable e-cores and ht and it significantly reduces package temp and power usage, they do very little for gaming anyway.

it doesn't make sense to upgrade this system at this time. but since you seem determined to do it anyway just choose whichever,  the performance (gains) will be very similar (as in, very small) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity