Memory Upgrade for i7 3770

Hello,

My old scrapped together PC (i7 3770 + GTX 1060 6Gb) still works fine, and I do not have the money nor need to replace it properly. However, the random trash salvage sticks of ram add up to only 14Gb (3 4Gb unmatched sticks + one 2Gb stick)

Of perhaps interest, It actually originally had 16Gb, but the random dumpster ram kept dying, and I eventually ran out of 4Gb sticks, and threw in a 2gb stick. It's still in there, alive and seemingly well! 

I would like more ram, at a low as possible price. It's DDR3, and upgrading it makes little sense, but I would like a little more. Just spending a few minutes looking around ebay, prices are high even for something this old. Can anyone send some links to more reasonable prices / options? I would settle for 2 8gig sticks, as even that would be more than what I have right now. The motherboard is a proprietary HP one if that matters. 

Mobo: Hewlett-Packard 1790 (SOCKET 0)

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.40GHz

Thank you very much!

image.png.da461cb0652da206ff43d5e987c877ca.png

image.png.538cbfc6a6efdd66a584317ab486eeae.png

image.png.b1b7098e73cf350d359a009c8f88261a.png

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

The cheapest kit I can find is this 2x8GB kit for $23: https://www.ebay.com/itm/335066460876

Otherwise, this seller is selling 8GB sticks for $10 each, but with no guarantee that they will be a matched set: https://www.ebay.com/itm/314964726746

Is that still too expensive for you?

EDIT: @Middcore has more powerful search engine-fu than I, apparently.

you're in a bit of a tight spot honestly. The two suggestions above are likely your best bet.

RAM is a bit of an interesting animal; going 1 gen back, the modules will definitely be cheaper, but DDR3 is 2 generations behind at this point. So prices have hiked due to little demand and no more production.

49 minutes ago, Brando212 said:

you're in a bit of a tight spot honestly. The two suggestions above are likely your best bet.

RAM is a bit of an interesting animal; going 1 gen back, the modules will definitely be cheaper, but DDR3 is 2 generations behind at this point. So prices have hiked due to little demand and no more production.

Ya, its an interesting supply chain problem! Thanks for the links and advice ya'll, I might go for that. I am going to ask some techies I know if they have any spare. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Middcore said:

Question for you, regrettably a newbie one. How much difference will I notice with faster vs slower ram with my setup? IE that 1600Mhz vs other more expensive 2400Mhz ram?  

8 minutes ago, karnathe said:

Question for you, regrettably a newbie one. How much difference will I notice with faster vs slower ram with my setup? IE that 1600Mhz vs other more expensive 2400Mhz ram?  

On an old Intel system, minimal to no perceivable difference.

I am skeptical the HP board could even run RAM at 2400mhz.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

4 minutes ago, Middcore said:

On an old Intel system, minimal to no perceivable difference.

I am skeptical the HP board could even run RAM at 2400mhz.

swag, thank you! At the time then, why was faster ram available? If the difference was minimal. 

9 minutes ago, karnathe said:

swag, thank you! At the time then, why was faster ram available? If the difference was minimal. 

Same reason RAM with extravagant speeds is sold now. Some people think it's worth their money to gain bragging rights and 1% in a synthetic benchmark. 

13 hours ago, Brando212 said:

ddr3 is incredibly cheap actually. It's just you need to buy it in bulk. 

It's not worth a seller parting out sticks and testing them unless they are gonna sell them in a lot of 10-20. 

Selling multiple little packages like a single 4gb or 8gb stick is way more work than big lots of ram. It's priced accordingly.

Not to mention getting a single stick of ram shipped with tracking is gonna be most of the sale price.