Thinking of turning my crosshair v11 hero x470 into a nas/server

vwfast

Budget (including currency): 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

Other details I have (two) ASUS ROG crosshair v11 hero with wi-fi. I was going to buy a Synology NAS but they are all over the place with features and not one has it ALL. Without paying a arm and a leg! So this is  one of the units: Ryzen 7 5800x3d / 32GB / AMD Radeon RX 6650xt / EVGA 850 PSU. My Question is should I go this route or just buy a Nas? Thanks for all and again thanks for this forum!!

20231118_130308.jpg

This thing is gonna suck as a nas not due to lack of performance but because of heavy idle power consumption

Far better to sell it for a good chunk of money and get like a 5600g based system for a nas

Not really caring about the power. I can work with that! More on your thoughts would be VERY helpful

4 minutes ago, vwfast said:

Not really caring about the power. I can work with that! More on your thoughts would be VERY helpful

You've got plenty of horsepower to fire up a Proxmox or TrueNAS box for sure. I wouldn't say it would suck as a NAS, but it will draw more power than most people would want for something solely functioning as a NAS.

If you can eat the power cost, I'd say go for it. You can learn a lot by setting up and configuring home servers and network devices yourself as opposed to buying a premade box that just needs hard drives and an internet connection.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

THANK YOU...not only as a Nas but for me to take back my LIFE from the internet etc...mail/files/cloud..

10 minutes ago, vwfast said:

Also there isnt really much if any place for storage drives in that case

So regardles syou need to case transfer.

Id say part it out and sell the gpu and cpu (and cooling as 24/7 watercooling does wear quite faster)

And just move to a 5600g as it saves you lots in power

Also depending on how much storage and whatnot youd want a hba card for drives.

Either way you need to case transfer so you might as well simplify the system, make it more energy efficient and sell unneeded hardware to get money to pruchase storage

what you think about this?   Dell Precision 5820 (Xeon W-2125 - 32GB RAM - Quadro P4000 

not that but this ..... Dell Precision 5820 Xeon W-2123 @ 3.6GHz Dual Radeon Pro WX 4100, 4GB

1 minute ago, vwfast said:

what you think about this?   Dell Precision 5820 (Xeon W-2125 - 32GB RAM - Quadro P4000 

This is like driving an F350 Superduty as a soccer mum. No, i would absolutely still stick to @jaslion plan, but to me instead of the 5600G i would consider selling the whole thing and swap for 12100 or Pentium G7400 on LGA1700 platform. Itll give you QSV which would be far more useful if your NAS is gonna be media-centric, and there is 1-5W of load and idle power consumption cut to gain from it.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

OK folks I get it ...Then the question is how much would you think this system is worth? AS a whole.

54 minutes ago, vwfast said:

OK folks I get it ...Then the question is how much would you think this system is worth? AS a whole.

Is the case like whole? Or is it busted?

If whole because of the wackass components like 800 or so

As got those servets they are SO overkill and also not that greatly efficient.

As well as LOUDER than a loud vacuum cleaner

NO you got me wrong . i what to sell the complete unit .what would be a good price to sale it for. Sorry for the confusion!!

Note it has  (2)512 ssd