Is it safe to use a case fan as a replacement for my broken PSU fan?

CleverCarpet

I was moving around my psu recently and I dropped a tool on the fan and a blade broke off 馃槥聽, but I have these case fans that I dont use that are lying around and I wired it up and tested in with the psu and it worked, the only issue is that the fan is a tiny bit smaller and has more fan blades, It's extremley quiet too.

I also measured using my hand and noticed that the case fan has noticably more airflow compared to the OG psu fan.

Is it safe to use the case fan? It has more blades and seemingly more airflow but I don't want to run my pc using a diy psu fan without knowing.

The PSU is 400 watts, there are images linked of the fans.IMG_5412.thumb.JPG.68ecd17db64cce70425e951e1b12a03e.JPGIMG_5413.thumb.JPG.9652a6a9b3c2fff43f98730c7fe26699.JPGIMG_5411.thumb.JPG.fc093bc8e060af7c34449ca9b888f5b8.JPG

you'll be fine. Having any fan is better than no fan.

Just exercise caution of course with PSU's and make sure not to touch anything that could zap you.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Awesome. Thank you to those who replied and I am suprised how fast you two replied 馃檪聽聽

1 hour ago, Ramamataz said:

Just exercise caution of course with PSU's and make sure not to touch anything that could zap you.

^^^

Well touching stuff doesnt mean insta die as i have crudely dissasembled a psu before and ive taken 3 apart somehow but im just a lucky bastard so please exercise caution cause you cant come back from the dead

As for safety precautions id reccomend putting both the psu and you on a surface that is not connected to ground, you can sit ontop of cardboard, something wooden, anything that puts a barrier between you and your floor (ground)

Id also reccomend wearing some electrically insulating gloves and some long sleeves just to insulate from any electricity

and youll definitely want to discharge the psu fully which you can do by plugging it into a mobo and pressing the powerbutton for around 5-10 mins to be on the safe side, you can just wedge a screwdriver or something conductive on the pwrbutton pins on the front panel, a jumper is preffered if you have one (those tiny plastic looking things on old boards that you can remove, usually found on clr cmos header)

As long as the connector is compatible(unless you're going to swap out the connector), and you're able to mount it in some secure way if not the normal method, it should be okay. The fans used in power supplies are not really all that special compared to other fans per se.聽

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" -聽Edward I. Koch