Burned Cablemod 12 pin angled adapter

Go to solution Solved by Justinnlin,
8 hours ago, Bagzie said:

Pay the shipping and get it sorted , You have zero legal recourse so your options are pony up the money for another card or have them fix it.

There's limitations to what you can get from this and asking a company to reimburse £1900 because you bought a £40 adapter when you signed away your warranty is not going to happen.

And they just came through with it, I had a very rare incident of every odds working against me, and at the end cablemod agreed to reimburse the value of the card. Thanks to @CableMod for being a responsible and respectful brand after all. However personally I would much prefer to take this card through RMA which during our conversation we realised that whenever I phoned Overclocker Uk the dealer they hide the detail of their rejection for warranty and was never once mentioned in the support ticket, as them kept on avoiding putting down details deliberately and just filled the parts with “spoken on the phone” rather than any actual useful information, and I’m determined to get that tracked down.

Hello Community,

I wanted to share a recent experience and seek your thoughts. I've encountered a potentially serious issue with my RTX 4090.

My CableMod 12 Pin Angled Adapter, correctly installed with the latch firmly clicked in, unexpectedly burned out. This has raised significant safety concerns for me.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with this adapter or the RTX 4090? Any insights or advice on how to address this issue would be greatly appreciated. I'm also curious if this is a known problem within the community.

Thanks in advance for your input!

IMG_9462.jpeg

IMG_9461.jpeg

IMG_9456.jpeg

IMG_9455.jpeg

This is known. Contact Cable Mod. They've been generous with their coverage of damage as a result in many cases paying to get your card fixed.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Oof. At the very least you're going to need the power connector on the card replaced, or just a replacement card altogether. I've heard of a few cases of this happening and it seems like Cablemod has been covering the repair/replacement for the card. Contact Cablemod support through their email or website but I'll also tag @CableMod to help get some eyes on it.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

On 11/12/2023 at 4:15 AM, Skiiwee29 said:

This is known. Contact Cable Mod. They've been generous with their coverage of damage as a result in many cases paying to get your card fixed.

I see. Probably why a v1.1 was released, thanks for the info, hella relief hearing that tbh thanks haha 

23 hours ago, Spotty said:

Oof. At the very least you're going to need the power connector on the card replaced, or just a replacement card altogether. I've heard of a few cases of this happening and it seems like Cablemod has been covering the repair/replacement for the card. Contact Cablemod support through their email or website but I'll also tag @CableMod to help get some eyes on it.

Thanks a lot haha, the card was purchased last year November which is still under warranty, but I’m glad there is a few more options for me 🙂 bought a 4060 yesterday for the mean time while I wait for a response 

Try going directly through the card manufacturer for warranty if the retailer won't help. 

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Yea I find it weird EU/UK does this through retailers when they don't have expertise in their product stack like this for warrenties (as this isn't a return, but an RMA).

Talk to the OEM. 

On 11/11/2023 at 10:03 PM, Justinnlin said:

Hello Community,

I wanted to share a recent experience and seek your thoughts. I've encountered a potentially serious issue with my RTX 4090.

My CableMod 12 Pin Angled Adapter, correctly installed with the latch firmly clicked in, unexpectedly burned out. This has raised significant safety concerns for me.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with this adapter or the RTX 4090? Any insights or advice on how to address this issue would be greatly appreciated. I'm also curious if this is a known problem within the community.

Thanks in advance for your input!

IMG_9462.jpeg

IMG_9461.jpeg

IMG_9456.jpeg

IMG_9455.jpeg

@Justinnlin very sorry to see this happened. Please reach out to our support team and they will make sure you're fully taken care of. Rest assured, you're in good hands and will have zero out of pocket expenses. ❤️

https://cablemod.com/support/

4 hours ago, Spotty said:

Try going directly through the card manufacturer for warranty if the retailer won't help. 

I did, and they said that it won’t be processed unless dealer files with them, they only deal with direct purchases in this case it’s the dealer who doesn’t want to bring it to RMA.

15 minutes ago, CableMod said:

@Justinnlin very sorry to see this happened. Please reach out to our support team and they will make sure you're fully taken care of. Rest assured, you're in good hands and will have zero out of pocket expenses. ❤️

https://cablemod.com/support/

I hope so, I have already send you guys the email, at the moment OEM won’t let me file with them since I didn’t purchase directly from them and my dealer won’t take it to RMA because they think that the adapter was at fault caused physical damage therefore not covered by warranty, you guys are my last hope.

Then yea this needs to get signal boosted to get handled, which is gross. EU/UK has boards I hope that you can report this to as well so they can get their ass chewed out for it this specific denial. 

Thank god for CableMod.

9 hours ago, starsmine said:

Then yea this needs to get signal boosted to get handled, which is gross. EU/UK has boards I hope that you can report this to as well so they can get their ass chewed out for it this specific denial. 

Thank god for CableMod.

True, if they can help out that would be great, currently the only option I have got

23 hours ago, Justinnlin said:

I hope so, I have already send you guys the email, at the moment OEM won’t let me file with them since I didn’t purchase directly from them and my dealer won’t take it to RMA because they think that the adapter was at fault caused physical damage therefore not covered by warranty, you guys are my last hope.

Don't worry - you're absolutely covered with us, in good hands. 🙂

23 hours ago, Justinnlin said:

I have full faith that cable mod can get you sorted out but I also have a friend who owns a computer shop that has done repairs like this before , Its a relatively simple process so try not to panic it's not something that's hard to fix.

With regard to overclockers it would be best if trying to hold a UK based company to a higher standard thay you contact with KitGuru who are always willing to help with these things as best they can.

KitGuru although much smaller than the guys you mentioned have a big enough following in the UK to put some pressure on these companies to do the right thing.

Personally I think they should have just stuck with 8 pin connectors , Even if it needs 3 or 4 of them it doesn't matter because they always work.

CPU : Ryzen 7 7800X3D @ -18mv all core except -13mv on Core 5 because its a pig.

CPU Cooler : Deepcool AK620 Zero Dark

Mobo : MSI B650M-A Wifi MATX

Ram : 32GB (2X16GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000MHZ CL34

GPU : Reference Design RX7900XT sold by Saphire running at 1050MV undervolt and +15% PL (355w)

Storage : 1TB WD SN770 + 2TB Samsung 970 Evo

PSU : Corsair HX750w Platinum

Case : Asus Prime AP201 All Mesh MATX

Case Fans : Arctic p12's everywhere i can fit them in , 7 In total.

Monitor : LG 27GP850-B.BEK 1440p Nano IPS 180Hz

Keyboard : HyperX Alloy Core RGB

Mouse : Corsair M65 Elite RGB

Headset : Corsair HS35 Gaming Headset

18 minutes ago, Bagzie said:

I have full faith that cable mod can get you sorted out but I also have a friend who owns a computer shop that has done repairs like this before , Its a relatively simple process so try not to panic it's not something that's hard to fix.

With regard to overclockers it would be best if trying to hold a UK based company to a higher standard thay you contact with KitGuru who are always willing to help with these things as best they can.

KitGuru although much smaller than the guys you mentioned have a big enough following in the UK to put some pressure on these companies to do the right thing.

Personally I think they should have just stuck with 8 pin connectors , Even if it needs 3 or 4 of them it doesn't matter because they always work.

Thanks for this info, been to a couple of shops to get repair quotes but all of them said to me that even if the port is repaired the card will not perform the same anymore for some reason.

3 hours ago, Justinnlin said:

Thanks for this info, been to a couple of shops to get repair quotes but all of them said to me that even if the port is repaired the card will not perform the same anymore for some reason.

Never heard that before , I suspect they likely don't want to be accused as being at fault if it happens again.

CPU : Ryzen 7 7800X3D @ -18mv all core except -13mv on Core 5 because its a pig.

GPU : Reference Design RX7900XT sold by Saphire running at 1050MV undervolt and +15% PL (355w)

11 hours ago, Bagzie said:

Never heard that before , I suspect they likely don't want to be accused as being at fault if it happens again.

True, a very plausible explanation, I’m reconsidering after my updated adapter V1.1 arrive should I still use those? Or should I stick with the original splitter cable that comes with the GPU from NVIDIA.

19 hours ago, CableMod said:

Don't worry - you're absolutely covered with us, in good hands. 🙂

@CableMod Currently I have a case ID of G142875, been speaking to the team via email and was told that upon the redemption of the EAP code the V1 adapter will no longer be covered… 

Especially when that updated adapter is still yet to arrive with the order number: [Order #EU63980] (October 27, 2023) and the V1 burning incident just days after it, and was properly inserted… 

In this case is it possible to apply for a reimbursement of the card’s current purchase value as a one time exception? As this is truly unfortunate case and timing when this happened. Literally just days after the code was used.

When I originally purchased the CableMod adapter, it was with complete trust in its reliability and your brand's reputation for quality. This trust was the reason I did not hesitate to redeem the EAP code for the updated version as soon as I become aware of its availability, believing in the improved safety and performance it promised, I have even also purchased the custom PSU cable with my current order along with the v1.1 adapter. 

The unexpected malfunction of the adapter and the subsequent complications have been a significant source of stress. Not only did this occur just days after using the EAP code, but the full implications of this action – particularly the immediate termination of my V1 adapter's warranty – were not clear to me at the time. 

On 11/15/2023 at 9:41 AM, Justinnlin said:

@CableMod Currently I have a case ID of G142875, been speaking to the team via email and was told that upon the redemption of the EAP code the V1 adapter will no longer be covered… 

Especially when that updated adapter is still yet to arrive with the order number: [Order #EU63980] (October 27, 2023) and the V1 burning incident just days after it, and was properly inserted… 

In this case is it possible to apply for a reimbursement of the card’s current purchase value as a one time exception? As this is truly unfortunate case and timing when this happened. Literally just days after the code was used.

When I originally purchased the CableMod adapter, it was with complete trust in its reliability and your brand's reputation for quality. This trust was the reason I did not hesitate to redeem the EAP code for the updated version as soon as I become aware of its availability, believing in the improved safety and performance it promised, I have even also purchased the custom PSU cable with my current order along with the v1.1 adapter. 

The unexpected malfunction of the adapter and the subsequent complications have been a significant source of stress. Not only did this occur just days after using the EAP code, but the full implications of this action – particularly the immediate termination of my V1 adapter's warranty – were not clear to me at the time. 

I wasn't aware you redeemed EAP, we do note that once EAP is redeemed, the V1.0 warranty is void, as it then transfers to whichever product you selected instead (V1.1 adapter in this case gets the warranty transfer for the free product redeem). We will still offer a repair for your card though, do not worry, so chat up support about that and they'll get you covered still even if the warranty coverage is shifted.

5 hours ago, CableMod said:

I wasn't aware you redeemed EAP, we do note that once EAP is redeemed, the V1.0 warranty is void, as it then transfers to whichever product you selected instead (V1.1 adapter in this case gets the warranty transfer for the free product redeem). We will still offer a repair for your card though, do not worry, so chat up support about that and they'll get you covered still even if the warranty coverage is shifted.

@CableMod The burning is Literally days after I have made the purchase while the new order was still in shipping. At the time I didn’t know there is this issue and was even curious why a new adapter was out… 

my card’s warranty is still voided due to this incident, even if repaired I do not know how long it will last until it gets burned or something happens to it again, and what will I need to do then. 

to this day I still haven’t received the updated package, it just feels like the world is screwing me over with this one.

4 hours ago, Justinnlin said:

@CableMod The burning is Literally days after I have made the purchase while the new order was still in shipping. At the time I didn’t know there is this issue and was even curious why a new adapter was out… 

my card’s warranty is still voided due to this incident, even if repaired I do not know how long it will last until it gets burned or something happens to it again, and what will I need to do then. 

to this day I still haven’t received the updated package, it just feels like the world is screwing me over with this one.

Since you continued to use an old adapter cable mod is not under any obligation to do anything quite frankly.

They are offering to repair your gpu at no cost to you which quite frankly is amazing since most companies would use that to wash there hands of you.

I was firmly on your side until you decided to ignore the fact they had recalled and where sending you a new adapter but you chose to use the old one , This was a very poor decision from you and expecting cable mod to pay out £2000 on a new GPU is quite frankly ridiculous.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth and take them up on there offer.

3 hours ago, Bagzie said:

Since you continued to use an old adapter cable mod is not under any obligation to do anything quite frankly.

They are offering to repair your gpu at no cost to you which quite frankly is amazing since most companies would use that to wash there hands of you.

I was firmly on your side until you decided to ignore the fact they had recalled and where sending you a new adapter but you chose to use the old one , This was a very poor decision from you and expecting cable mod to pay out £2000 on a new GPU is quite frankly ridiculous.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth and take them up on there offer.

I didn’t knowingly CONTINUE to use an old adapter that is prone to fail, I was never made aware of this issue of it melting and this V1 is the only one I have at hand still to this day, made a new purchase that is still yet to arrive and not knowing that using a promo code would void the warranty, and my £1900 card burns a few days after.

Most hilarious part is till this day I still have yet to receive that order and my card never to live to see the day when it finally shows up. How can you call me ungrateful for wanting a reimbursement of the card at the current purchase value since I lost the warranty due to their faulty product? If I were any slightly ungrateful I would have asked what I paid for that card at the beginning of launch, and even then I still don’t think it is unjustified.

when I buy something I use it, I don’t sit around with my computer and search things about the stuff I already own and admire how great or terrible it is everyday. I have no idea the V1 adapter had issue of failing and I never went online and looked because I had no doubt of their reliability until this very incident. Even at the beginning of this very forum post, I asked if anyone is having this issue because I didn’t know it would happen to a product specifically designed to eradicate this very problem.

try placing yourself in my shoes and you’ll probably realise how ridiculous you are instead.