PS Remote Play - Fast on iPad, unplayable on Desktop.

Hey Everyone,

I am running into an interesting issue while attempting to use PS Remote Play on my PS5 to play from my other devices. In short, PS Remote Play works with fantastic performance from my iPad, which is connected via Wi-Fi. It even performs well when I use my iPad from outside the home, with very playable results from as far as 600 miles away while on vacation.

However, I get completely unplayable input latency (1.5s+) when I attempt to use PS Remote Play from my Desktop PC. Counterintuitively, this is true despite my desktop being directly connected to the network via Ethernet. The PlayStation 5 is connected via Ethernet as well.

I am making this post because I have spent tons of time trying to troubleshoot this issue, and I've reached a point where I'm absolutely stumped, so I'm doing a deep dive on my home networking equipment. Has anyone experienced this? If so, have you fixed it? I am perplexed! 

I have attached an image with a diagram of the relevant portions of my home network, with information about each item. I am doing this because my home network is a bit unorthodox, and uses a secondary router + MoCA + Switch etc. in order to compensate for our walls being routed with Coaxial cable instead of CAT5e. (Note that despite this, I still achieve excellent results over these lines in other scenarios - e.g. the iPad->PS5 connection as previously, as well as iPad->PC with Steam Link. In other words, this setup achieves its purpose of good performance. The issue is specifically to do with my PC->PS5 Remote Play connection.)

Some more details:

• I have tested with my PC connected directly to ethernet in the following scenarios:
    • Plugged into the Router
    • Plugged into the Modem
  • I have tested with my PC connected to Wi-Fi in the following scenarios:
    • 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks on Router
    • 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks on Modem
  • When playing from the iPad, I am using my PS5 controller connected via Bluetooth.
  • When playing from the PC, I am using my PS5 controller connected via USB-C. 
    • I have also tried connecting the controller to my PC via Bluetooth.
  • I have also prioritized traffic for the MAC addresses of my iPad, PC, and PS5 on my Modem and Router.
  • (A side note: When I connect my iPad->PC to play games with Steam Link, this connection works great. Almost no discernable input latency versus playing locally.)

Through all of these tests I listed above, I have noticed no improvement to input latency. I know it should be possible to eliminate the input latency on the PC->PS5 connection, because my iPad works fine both in the home and from hundreds of miles away. But I can't for the life of me figure it out. I would blame it on the Windows version of PS Remote Play, but others online seem to find no issues with it.

Thanks in advance to anyone that has any advice on this.

ps-remote-network-diagram.png